Depression

TheRealFluent

H.O.O. Inquisitor
I'm still going through a rough spot in my life right now and depression is a major part of it. Even with gaming, I feel like I don't want to do it, or much of anything I used to enjoy. Things I do enjoy are fleeting. I'm being treated for it with medication, will be seeing a therapist soon, but right now I'm digging out of a pretty deep hole. Also not sure why I'm sharing this here but I needed to vent a bit. Depression sucks and I feel for anybody else here going through or who has in the past.

All the best people have a run in with clinical depression. The trouble is, when you're in the thick of it, there's nothing much anyone can say to help, because it's like you've had a horrible epiphany, and you just KNOW that it's all dark and pointless. The thing is, as Milton said, the mind is its own place, and of itself can make a hell of heaven or a heaven of hell.

Really, the key thing I would say is to be patient, and give yourself a chance. It seems you're somewhat up and active, which is good, but it will take time for the brain chemistry to get itself back in order, and to really feel yourself. Trouble focusing and lack of enthusiasm for normal interests are to be expected like a hangover after a heavy night. Try not to get frustrated with the long climb back up, and know that things will all change again. I've found that exercise, particularly long walks out in nature, is key.

What Ripper said.

Also to remember that we all go through ups and downs. Sometimes there are no reasons for feeling down but there we are anyways. I have found that after you get level again, always be patient and your mood will change for the better naturally.

No need for artificial mood lifters. You are stronger then you know.

Hang in there.

I've dealt with it in the past, but I guess I'm fortunate in that my depression always had an obvious cause. When I was a teen I was put on meds but they didn't really help. Perhaps it wasn't the right medication for me but honestly I think it's because it was my relationship problems & resulting lonliness were at the root of it.

Over 10 years ago I fell into it again when I was rejected from a grad school program I really wanted to get into. That certainly took some time to get over and had to come to terms with my career plans wouldn't come to fruition. More recently I was overcome with stress resulting from buying my first home... Ended up selling that place pretty quickly to buy a more manageable starter home.

My wife has dealt with depression and anxiety for a long time as well but hers seems to have more clear biological roots. And so medication has been part of the solution from her. But she's also decided to avoid certain things which bring it on or exacerbate it. For the most part now she only wants to watch comedies and avoids dramas; particularly anything that deals with death. And she tends to prefer more light-hearted video games than me as well. For some reason I've always been drawn to dark / gritty stuff... Regardless of my mood, I often like sad songs, sad / macabre stories, and games / tv / movies that some might find depressing or disturbing. You could even say they cheer me up by putting my own life in perspective (my little problems are nothing compared to what some deal with).

I guess you just have to find out what works for you.

Hopefully therapy / medication will help you, if not you perhaps there will be another medication to try or something that does.

Why is it always about depression, and never about mania?

People who have manic phases usually have depressive phases too, whereas people with clinical major depression, which is more common, don't have manic phases at all. Also, people in a manic or hypomanic state don't usually think they have a problem!

Thanks for the responses fellas. The key is definitely being patient and no artificial mood enhancers. I just feel like I need a crutch which is why I took up smoking, but that's obviously not helping. Still drinking tons of coffee like always but it's not really the anxiety as much as it is the depression that's bothering me. The medication takes another 5 weeks to really "kick in" so I'm just trying to be patient and wait it out. Need to go for more walks but I'm getting over agoraphobia, too. And the worst part is when none of it sounds interesting or fun to do, and your body doesn't have the energy to force your way through. So patience is key.

Thanks again. I'll get through it, I hope. :)

People who have manic phases usually have depressive phases too

That's specifically called Bipolar disorder.

People diagnosed with manic syndrome don't necessarily go through depressive phases.

The reason I bring it up is because the side effects of mania can be just as hard to deal with as depression, but nobody ever talks about them. Ticking, OCD tendencies, anxiety induced panic attacks, extreme irritability.

That's specifically called Bipolar disorder.

People diagnosed with manic syndrome don't necessarily go through depressive phases.

Manic syndrome is not a mental illness in itself, it's just a description of the manic phase. It is possible, though rare, to have Bipolar type I and only have manic episodes, but that's still actually a form of Bipolar disorder, with one of the poles not manifesting!

Sorry, but that's nonsense.

Bipolar is manic-depressive, which means you go through rapid moodswings between mania and depression. Bipolar type 1 doesn't mean you don't have depressive episodes, but that the manic episodes are elevated and more frequent. If you have mania without phases of depression, then you're not bipolar.

Manic syndrome isn't technically classified as a mental illness (although it should be in order to stay consistent with clinical depression) but has many concurrent illnesses and disorders: schizophrenia, tourettes, OCD, ADHD, ect. Those are all manic conditions.

Sorry, but that's nonsense.

Bipolar is manic-depressive, which means you go through rapid moodswings between mania and depression. Bipolar type 1 doesn't mean you don't have depressive episodes, but that the manic episodes are elevated and more frequent. If you have mania without phases of depression, then you're not bipolar.

Manic syndrome isn't technically classified as a mental illness (although it should be in order to stay consistent with clinical depression) but has many concurrent illnesses and disorders: schizophrenia, tourettes, OCD, ADHD, ect. Those are all manic conditions.

There is not a single sentence in there that is correct, but, at this stage, I don't think there is too much danger of anyone being misinformed by you.

I know about bipolar syndrome because my mother has had it her entire life, and I was diagnosed with several manic disorders. I've talked with various professionals and read many scientific studies trying to cope with my own conditions.

Manic-depressive illness is another term for bipolar disorder. The definition of bipolar disorder is a person that experiences rapid shifts in mood and energy.

Not everyone with manic syndrome experiences mood swings, which means that not everyone with mania is bipolar. That's nonsense.

I won't go into why you might like to listen to what I tell you, but I would claim I know what I'm talking about.
Bipolar is manic-depressive, which means you go through rapid moodswings between mania and depression.

Bipolar Disorder is a group of disorders which used to be known, less precisely, as manic depression. It can present in quite different ways, but, usually, it involves phases of mania or hypomania, and phases of depression. Rapid shifting from one to the other is not a defining feature, and is relatively unusual (it's known as rapid-cycling bipolar disorder.) The changes in state can be separated by months or years, with long periods of equilibrium in between.
Bipolar type 1 doesn't mean you don't have depressive episodes, but that the manic episodes are elevated and more frequent.

No. Bipolar type I tends to involve more severe mania, reaching quite delusional states, whereas other forms can involve milder episodes of hypomania. Bipolar Type I doesn't mean you don't have depressive episodes, but it is possible to have only manic episodes. In fact, Bipolar Type I can be, and frequently is, diagnosed by the presence of serious manic episodes only.
If you have mania without phases of depression, then you're not bipolar.

As explained, completely untrue.

I don't know what you mean by "concurrent" illnesses in this context. That doesn't make any sense in itself. The conditions you mention are not "manic" conditions, and that would be meaningless in a medical sense. Those conditions are in fact wildly different. Schizophrenia is a type of psychotic condition, whereas OCD is a neurotic condition, and ADHD is a neurological condition. If you mean that they could make you a bit manic, in the casual sense, then yes, you could see that. But, with the exception of Schizophrenic psychosis, you wouldn't expect to see episodes of clinical mania.

Ripper is right. There are two diagnostic systems, ICD and DSM. In DSM you don't need to have any depressions for bipolar syndrome, type 1. In ICD you do. Most professionals prefer DSM.

Also rapid shifts between moods has nothing to do with diagnoses. Some people will experience depression or hypomania/mania extremely rarely.

Okay so you can be bipolar without depressive episodes (or vice versa), but the assertion that you can't be manic without being bipolar is still fundamentally wrong.

Every definition of bipolar disorder involves dramatic shifts in mood and energy.

Not every person that experiences mania has dramatic shifts in mood and energy. Some people are in perpetual states of mania, and therefore not bipolar.

It's the same deals with clinical depression. Not everyone with clinical depression is bipolar. Mania is just on the other end of the spectrum.

Schizophrenia is a type of psychotic condition, whereas OCD is a neurotic condition, and ADHD is a neurological condition.

Schizophrenia, OCD, ADHD, and Tourettes all stem from heightened overactivity in the brain, which is synonymous with Mania. Therefore they are all manic disorders.

Someone with Tourettes or OCD is in a perpetual state of mania.

Sorry matey, I've been trying to give you some space with your very assertive style, but now you really are talking out of your arse, to the point of embarrassment.

I would say the same about you, but that doesn't help us reach common understanding.

When people say "You're embarassing yourself" in arguments, it means they're frustrated. If you want to end a debate, then fine, but you don't need to insult me.

I'll reiterate my argument even if you don't intend on responding

1) The definition of bipolar disorder is that you experience dramatic shifts in mood or energy

2) Not everyone with abnormally high mood or energy (mania) experiences dramatic shifts in mood or energy (bipolar disorder)

Conclusion: Not everyone that experiences mania has bipolar disorder

I'll reiterate my argument even if you don't intend on responding

1) The definition of bipolar disorder is that you experience dramatic shifts in mood or energy

2) Not everyone with abnormally high mood or energy (mania) experiences dramatic shifts in mood or energy (bipolar disorder)

Conclusion: Not everyone that experiences mania has bipolar disorder

What does any of this has to do with TheRealFluent post and why are trying to derail this? Or are you suggesting something else which might help Fluent? if so, why not be explicit about it because I don't understand how anything you posted will help him?

Back
Top Bottom