RPG Maker

lostforever

SasqWatch
Anyone has any experience using this? Is it any good? Which version is the best etc? There seems to be lot of different versions and there is humble bundle out right now and thinking of getting it. Specially I like the asset packs.

I always wanted to create my own RPG game but get side tracked and never get back to it! Part of the problem is that I decided to do everything from the engine and all that and it takes too much time which I don't have. So thinking of using something like RPG Marker to speed up things etc.

Avoid. Use Unity instead. Not the best solution I know, but is still better.

I thought about Unity, Unreal Engine etc. However, I am not going to do any 3d stuff. Its going to be simple 2d top down tiled based game for now. Once I fished that I will look for something more. So at this point i don't want to get into complicated engine. RPG Marker seem simple...

Made a few free games back in the day with RPGMaker 2003. As for best engine use the latest one as porting and other engine fixes made it easier to make a game.

Link - https://www.rpgmakerweb.com/products/programs

There are assets you can download for free or purchase on the net. So bottom line don't listen to naysayers it's a good engine for beginners instead of Unity.

Why it's simple I played both and dabbled in Unity and RPGMaker.

Last edited:
The naysayer says nay because it's stuck in time - Unity is evolving, slowly, but still.
I mean I would still use Nokia3310 if I could read e-mails on it and install Viber, but I can't, had to leave it aside and invest into something that's following the technology.

Whatever Joxer plenty of RPGMaker games on Steam making a small profit. He even stated he wants a simple engine, and Unity is by no means a beginner engine.

It takes a lot of work on the asset side, and other areas.

RPG Maker is good due to it being old and established - so it has a large community and tons of assets and addons (advanced scripts etc), tons of tutorials that has been created by the community. It's really simple to use. Unity is for 3D, no idea how good or simple it is to make RPG maker-kind of games on it, so it would really depend on what you plan to do.. Personally i went with RPG Maker because i wanted to try simple 2D RPG gameplay with my own 2D assets etc.

I went with MV, which seemed best.

I've been using Iceblink, which is free and has a friendly small community. It's got old school combat, reminiscant of the old Gold Box games, albeit updated to allow for traits, traps, different map heights and lots of other modern stuff. The conversation editor is more like NWN, so loads of flexibility, and you can change the rules easily enough to go with a sci fi setting or a fantasy setting or just adapt the existing races and classes etc. It doesn't come with many art assets, but there are plenty on the internet (I've become a bit addicted to browsing GameDevMarket :) ):
https://iceblinkengine.com/

If you decide to go with RPG Maker, check out the Humble Bundle deal which is valid for another five days - it's the engine and a load of cheap assets:
https://www.humblebundle.com/softwa...softwarebundle&linkID=&utm_content=cta_button

What about finding a game to mod instead?

So, sounds like some of you have experience making your own RPGs... how come you guys never talked about it or shared links before? (unless you guys did and I missed it somehow?)

:D do show/share!

@vurt; and @Pongo;, thanks for the tips and the links. I think I will get RPG Maker from humble bundle and its mainly for the assets. I am programmer and I cannot do art even to save my life so even if don't use the engine, the arts is what I am mainly after.

I know I said I don't want to roll my own engine but the programmer in me pushing in that direction :) I can use this an excise to update my C++ skills as I am not up to date with any of the new standards like C++ 11, 14 etc.

@ilm; Modding is not the same as creating your own. Modding is like raising someone else child! Noble as though it maybe, I want to create!

@purpleblob; there is nothing to share! I have started 3 times and never finished it or finished it in state where I am confident enough to show it others. Maybe it will be different this time :)

Well, well... a self-implemented RPG. The holy grail of every nerdy programmer. I know myself well enough that I'd never finish it, so I never started. Good luck to you! :)

Well, well… a self-implemented RPG. The holy grail of every nerdy programmer. I know myself well enough that I'd never finish it, so I never started. Good luck to you! :)

Although I failed 3 times before, its not a complete waste. I have gained some knowledge so it should speed me up in certain areas this time around :)

I will still use some graphics abstraction layer on top of Direct3D/openGl. Not keen on getting my hands dirty with those just yet. Sort of settled on SDL for now.

https://www.libsdl.org/

I've not liked how RPGMaker is geared towards making NES type RPG's or that the newest version seems to always cost $70.

I've seen some early Iceblink on mobile but I wasn't imporessed. I imagine now its a little bit better?

What would be really good is if someone could merge an existing middleware like Unity with a NWN style toolset. I've looked into doing it a couple of times but did not like Unity itself. Its far less C# and much more Unity.

:D do show/share!

@purpleblob; …since you ask… :)

Here's one I made using Iceblink:
https://neverwintervault.org/project/iceblink/module/elderin-stone
It's a fairly simple dungeon crawl, not big on story. There are still a couple of bugs and I'm not sure the difficulty is quite right so I need to do a further update at some point.

@Lucky Day; - yeah Iceblink has come a long way in the last five years, although its still a passion project coded by two guys working in their spare time. Personally I think it's great - a really easy way to make D&D style modules, and a friendly forum to bounce ideas around. There aren't any mods that showcase some of the recent additions like weather effects etc, but hopefully we'll see more in time.

Here is something that might be of interest. The Godot engine team are developing some sample open-source RPGs, to be used for teaching purposes.

https://godotengine.org/article/open-arpg-and-jrpg-demos-gdquest

For people getting into game development, perhaps making some contributions to these game projects, with the guidance of the guys that really know what they're doing, could be a great learning opportunity. Particularly if you're already a professional coder, they would almost certainly want to engage with you.

Back
Top Bottom