Geneforge - Live on Kickstarter

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
The Kickstarter campaign for Geneforge 1 - Mutagen has been started:

Geneforge 1 - Mutagen

The groundbreaking indie cult classic returns remastered at last! Totally open role-playing fun with your own army of mutant monsters.

The Geneforge Saga is a true cult classic of indie games, a groundbreaking role-playing series with ideas that are still fresh and bizarre today. We started it wayyyy back in the year 1999, with the goal of breaking every design rule we could think of.

Want to use trickery and diplomacy to win the game without ever even attacking a foe? Sure. Want to blast through the game barbarically killing every single person you meet? Seems reasonable. Want a ton of different factions to pick from to help, some of which are actually insane? Why not?

Want to meet the final evil boss of the game, find out he's actually reasonable, switch sides and join him, and still get a good ending to the game? You can do that!

And, of course, whatever you do, you can create your own army of custom-made mutant monsters.

[...]
More information.

Not gonna back, but I like the "Scroll of Absolution"-tier! Official forgiveness for all their titles you ever pirated.

Geneforge is in my mind Spiderweb's best rpg, and is a true classic. The graphics on the remaster only look marginally better in my opinion, and since I bought the entire collection on GOG, I don't see the need to back. I would still recommend Geneforge to anyone, if you ever thought of playing a Spiderweb game, this is the one I'd recommend.

I love all things Spiderweb and gave mightily to the prior project, but I'm taking a pass on this one. I know I'll likely pick it up when it's out for sale on great old games so in the end they'll have my monies. =p

It's not the new engine - so I'm gladly backing this!

Well at least it looks better then the originals.

Having it natively fit a widescreen alone is worth it for me. As I recall, getting the old ones to work right took some effort.

Hmmm new paint job old game...people throw money at him....encouraging him to continue....

Geneforge is in my mind Spiderweb's best rpg, and is a true classic. The graphics on the remaster only look marginally better in my opinion, and since I bought the entire collection on GOG, I don't see the need to back. I would still recommend Geneforge to anyone, if you ever thought of playing a Spiderweb game, this is the one I'd recommend.

Me too. The most original, and it even looked better than the Avernum series.

I am not backing. I liked the rustic graphics of the originals which I have all of them, and I don't like the graphics in this one (cartooney).

Moreover, just like in Queen's Wish, the finished game will be cheaper than what I paid for the kickstarter.

Moreover, just like in Queen's Wish, the finished game will be cheaper than what I paid for the kickstarter.

Yep...that's also something I don't like. Was hesitant with Queens Wish already. Imho the prices are just too high for kickstarter. He should give some incentive to back the game. But the way it is, it's just a pre-order. While with his record it's unlikely that it will not be finished, however there is also no benefit of backing it. No physical goodies on the one hand (unless you want that scroll) and the base game will likely be cheaper at release.

Still looking forward to that game though.

I backed this, haven’t played Geneforge since ... well, the last release whenever that was (so a bunch of years). I have really enjoyed all of his updates - better graphics and interface, pathfinding, and additions pretty much everywhere. Not debating the ‘same game 4x’ argument, but hey ... whatever, right? I enjoy them.

It's funded already. Stupid that he set the goal so low imo. I don't understand why he didn't shoot higher and go for better visuals instead of the marginal upgrade, but I guess that should be expected from him.

And yeah, I get that people will still continue to back it, but I think he'd make more if he set a higher goal and gave more incentives to back it like people have mentioned.

shoot higher and go for better visuals

He has gone through that in prior blog posts ... the level of cost would far exceed expectations, because he would either have to hire someone or contract things out, and also need to learn new tools himself which would mean having those others onboard for longer, costing more, and the business he runs is not a ‘contract position’ thing.

I get it, he has constructed a box for himself that he has only really incremented his way out of a little bit at a time ...

Funded and as someone else mentioned, you'll likely be able to get it cheaper if you *don't* kickstart it. Which sucks. However if there was ever a Spiderweb game to throw some support at, here it is. Decisions, decisions.

…go for better visuals…
For me his 4 or 5 games prior to Queen's Wish have the perfect formula for a great game.
The kind of minimal visuals let you focus on the game perfectly - there is just not really something to improve.
Most modern games in ISO perspective do look a lot better - bot what does this contribute to the game? Especially if you could decide to do less good visuals and put the money in other areas of game development.

I like Jeff Vogel's approach a lot - there are enough game devs who put their main effort in good visuals.

The problem here most refuse to accept is - getting the new audience.

We won't live forever. Dunno about you, but I socialize with people of all ages. Vogel's "conservatism" puts off both youngsters who want to try some RPG but their eyes can't stand such presentation and elders who weren't gamers before but discovered phonegames and now want to go for something more serious but this looks worse than Candy Crush Saga.

This project… Either invent a time machine and send both the project and me 20 years in the past or count me not interested. Because we can't travel back in time, sorry, no bonus.

Old style KS, at the time of the post, something like $33 000 raised.
5 people contributed up to $5000, 5 others up $3750 and 12 up to $1800.

22 people out of 654 contributed for something like one third.
Most modern games in ISO perspective do look a lot better - bot what does this contribute to the game? Especially if you could decide to do less good visuals and put the money in other areas of game development.

I like Jeff Vogel's approach a lot - there are enough game devs who put their main effort in good visuals.

Good graphics have for them they deliver. Devs going down the path of less impressive graphics to favour gameplay mechanics must deliver. Stoneshard went the way of lower graphics, remains to be seen if they deliver.

Back
Top Bottom