|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » ELEX - Some Thoughts

Default ELEX - Some Thoughts

October 23rd, 2017, 22:08
Cohh recommends ELEX for fans of the Gothic series:

Cohh Gives His Thoughts About ELEX

loading…


Cohh speaks about his opinion about the new rpg ELEX
More information.
HiddenX is offline

HiddenX

HiddenX's Avatar
The Elder Spy
RPGWatch Team
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

#1

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: NRW/Germany
Posts: 11,073
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)

Default 

October 23rd, 2017, 22:08
I had very low expectations for this game, I was planning to play an hour or two just to check it out and then return it.

But I've being enjoying it so far, although it has cluncky combat and it's really unpolished. But not as buggy as I was expecting.

Sure, hearing a NPC apprentice asking me to find his bow that he lost in a hunt, that he can't get another bow because his master won't give him another one… While having a huge bow on his back… And then me turning to his master and him telling me to be quiet to not scare the prey, while the apprentice starts banging a wall with an hammer… Can be a little bit off.

Or entering a restricted area without the guard seeing and then getting out through his gate and him only telling me I can't enter (apparently, he didn't find it strange that I came from inside), is the type of unpolishness of this game.

But it has an interesting world, interesting factions with interesting philosophies where none stand out as being the good guys or bad guys, etc.
Gwendo is offline

Gwendo

Watchdog

#2

Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 152
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Default 

October 23rd, 2017, 22:16
Originally Posted by Gwendo View Post
Sure, hearing a NPC apprentice asking me to find his bow that he lost in a hunt, that he can't get another bow because his master won't give him another one… While having a huge bow on his back… And then me turning to his master and him telling me to be quiet to not scare the prey, while the apprentice starts banging a wall with an hammer… Can be a little bit off.
Oh yeah and then you go to the spot he said he dropped the bow and foirst stumble upon a troll then go back avoid that miniboss go for a bow and two hard to kill trashmobs are guarding the bow…
I love this game!
--
Toka Koka
joxer is online now

joxer

joxer's Avatar
The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

#3

Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 19,242
Mentioned: 93 Post(s)

Default 

October 23rd, 2017, 22:48
Had a great time watching Cohh play this game but also have no wish to play it myself.
six is offline

six

Watchdog

#4

Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 177
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
+1:

Default 

October 23rd, 2017, 22:55
Originally Posted by Gwendo View Post
it's really unpolished.
Yeah, no. I've played 36 hours and this is by far their most polished release yet, and a highly polished release overall relative to their budget and manpower.

While bugs are present in ELEX they are minimal overall, the game runs rock solid and there are no gamebreaking bugs in sight.

Deleted User

Guest

#5

Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)

Default 

October 23rd, 2017, 23:01
Fortunately, I have three new games to play and several replays after those, so Elex can wait till a summer sale and a bunch of patches for me. I do like the PB games, but I know how they usually are released.
Carnifex is offline

Carnifex

SasqWatch

#6

Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Ormond Beach, FL.
Posts: 7,697
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)

Default 

October 23rd, 2017, 23:29
Originally Posted by Carnifex View Post
I do like the PB games, but I know how they usually are released.
Gothic 3 is their most recent release that was crap and that was over a decade ago. Time to let this myth die.

Deleted User

Guest

#7

Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)

Default 

October 23rd, 2017, 23:51
Originally Posted by Fluent View Post
Yeah, no. I've played 36 hours and this is by far their most polished release yet, and a highly polished release overall relative to their budget and manpower.

While bugs are present in ELEX they are minimal overall, the game runs rock solid and there are no gamebreaking bugs in sight.
unpolished != buggy
Gwendo is offline

Gwendo

Watchdog

#8

Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 152
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Default 

October 24th, 2017, 00:06
i preffer buggy over unpolished anyday. and this game would require mountains of work to get to a decent state.
if the people who made it were so oblivious, its pretty hard to repair. best start from scratch
borcanu is offline

borcanu

borcanu's Avatar
muist

#9

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Ro
Posts: 1,053
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Default 

October 24th, 2017, 00:21
Originally Posted by Gwendo View Post
unpolished != buggy
Did I say it did?

The game is neither unpolished or buggy. Anyone who has played it for more than an hour or two and is honest about it will tell you that.

If you want to split hairs and talk about overall polish or bugginess levels compared to larger game developers, ELEX still comes out on top because of the budget and manpower used to make the game. PB is using a small FRACTION of what other AAA developers use and still getting similar (I'd argue BETTER in some ways) results.

For what they accomplished with a team of 27 is remarkable.

Deleted User

Guest

#10

Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)

Default 

October 24th, 2017, 00:41
I got a chuckle from Cohh’s Statement that if you’re expecting a super polished AAA title like Skyrim… I guess he forgot Skyrim had thousands of bugs and broke when I tried to play it the month of its release.
--
If I'm right but there is no wife around to acknowledge it, am I still right?
TheMadGamer is offline

TheMadGamer

TheMadGamer's Avatar
SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

#11

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Oregon
Posts: 2,713
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

Default 

October 24th, 2017, 02:54
Define 'polished'. Skyrim and the Fallouts weren't exactly 'polished' IMO. Even patched and modded, there was a fair amount of goofiness and quirky behavior.

ELEX looks damned good to me. The only thing I would change in the character models is doing hair and eyebrows better. The lip-synching is okay; I don't pay that much attention to it in any case. True, combat could be a bit smoother. The world and textures are top notch. AI is a tad wonky at times, but not more so than many other AAA games.

One thing I noticed that PB changed from the Gothic series is looting bodies. You no longer can collect weapons to sell. Cash can be a little tough to come by in ELEX.
I have found some excellent weapons that I can't use until I pump up my stats more.

Early on, you're almost forced to play a stealth character to avoid combat because you get owned in an instant. The jet-pack is a game saver and a life saver. Cliff jumping and heights are a noobs best friend.
Zephyr is offline

Zephyr

Sentinel

#12

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 457
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
+1:

Default 

October 24th, 2017, 03:23
Originally Posted by Zephyr View Post
Early on, you're almost forced to play a stealth character to avoid combat because you get owned in an instant. The jet-pack is a game saver and a life saver. Cliff jumping and heights are a noobs best friend.
I know this won't be a very popular comparison around here, but what you said reminds me of the early stages of Breath of the Wild.
rossrjensen is offline

rossrjensen

Keeper of the Watch
Original Sin Donor

#13

Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 748
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
+1:

Default 

October 24th, 2017, 04:38
Breath of the Wild, while I haven't played it, is probably the closest thing to a PB open-world in some ways. I hear it's quite the realistic/challenging world with minimal, or no (?) level-scaling.

Deleted User

Guest

#14

Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)

Default 

October 24th, 2017, 05:44
I have played Breath of the Wild. I've enjoyed the PB games, but none of them would come even close to that masterpiece. With that said, I've yet to try Elex, but I'll give it a fair shake, once it is done baking. I bet I'll wind up replaying Breath first, though!
Carnifex is offline

Carnifex

SasqWatch

#15

Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Ormond Beach, FL.
Posts: 7,697
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)

Default 

October 24th, 2017, 08:17
Originally Posted by Fluent View Post
Did I say it did?

The game is neither unpolished or buggy. Anyone who has played it for more than an hour or two and is honest about it will tell you that.

If you want to split hairs and talk about overall polish or bugginess levels compared to larger game developers, ELEX still comes out on top because of the budget and manpower used to make the game. PB is using a small FRACTION of what other AAA developers use and still getting similar (I'd argue BETTER in some ways) results.

For what they accomplished with a team of 27 is remarkable.
I've played more than a couple of hours and it sure is unpolished. I gave some examples.

About it being from an AAA studio or not… I don't understand that argument. I care about the game as it is. It being made by a big or small studio doesn't affect my enjoyment of the game. It can help to explain why it's good or bad, but won't change the game experience itself.
Gwendo is offline

Gwendo

Watchdog

#16

Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 152
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Default 

October 24th, 2017, 08:23
Originally Posted by Gwendo View Post
I've played more than a couple of hours and it sure is unpolished. I gave some examples.

About it being from an AAA studio or not… I don't understand that argument. I care about the game as it is. It being made by a big or small studio doesn't affect my enjoyment of the game. It can help to explain why it's good or bad, but won't change the game experience itself.
Your examples are ridiculously petty.

Deleted User

Guest

#17

Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
+1:

Default 

October 24th, 2017, 08:49
Originally Posted by Fluent View Post
Your examples are ridiculously petty.
Yet, you're being petty to me for having my own opinion about the game that doesn't suit your views.

They are off putting to me and believe me that I wasn't searching for negatives to talk about the game. I was clear that I was enjoying the game. But it seems that for you, the game is perfect, there's no flaws and no one should say anything negative about it. Ignore the facts just because the game has a smaller budget and manpower behind it, compared to AAA games.
Gwendo is offline

Gwendo

Watchdog

#18

Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 152
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Default 

October 24th, 2017, 08:58
Originally Posted by Gwendo View Post
Yet, you're being petty to me for having my own opinion about the game that doesn't suit your views.

They are off putting to me and believe me that I wasn't searching for negatives to talk about the game. I was clear that I was enjoying the game. But it seems that for you, the game is perfect, there's no flaws and no one should say anything negative about it. Ignore the facts just because the game has a smaller budget and manpower behind it, compared to AAA games.
This must be the first video game you've ever played then if those examples make you call the game "really unpolished."

Deleted User

Guest

#19

Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)

Default 

October 24th, 2017, 09:24
The examples are valid enough, but that also means only The Witcher 3 is actually polished among the big, open world RPGs available on PC.
Maylander is offline

Maylander

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

#20

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Bergen
Posts: 7,129
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Maylander
+1:
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » ELEX - Some Thoughts
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 15:25.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright by RPGWatch