Kingmaker - Beta 2 Incoming!

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
Pathfinder: Kingmaker will soon be at beta 2 stage.

Beta 2 Incoming!

Dear Pathfinders,

As promised, we are releasing our second beta build this month. In fact, we're expecting to push it out on Steam at the end of this week, if we don't encounter any unexpected last minute bugs. Fingers crossed!

The new build will contain chapters two and three of the story for all beta backers to enjoy. This also means you will get to experience the latest iteration of our Kingdom feature! It's going to be a bit more fleshed out and complex than its alpha counterpart, so we'll be releasing some basic instructions in the coming days to help you get started.

If you're already in beta 1, you'll receive the updated build via Steam as soon as it goes live. Beta 1 savegames will be compatible, so there's no need to start over. As with the previous build, there is no NDA, so feel free to stream, share footage on YouTube and show your gameplay with your friends. Are you ready to continue your conquest of the Stolen Lands?

Hail to the Kings!
Owlcats
More information.

I will not spoil myself with any Alphas or Betas, but it is good to see this coming along nicely!

I hope it's a smash hit. I mean, it's essentially a quality framework for old school D&D adventures.

I'm downloading beta 2 now~~ suuuuppperrr exciiiteedd!!

Keen to hear feedback from the new beta...
@Silver; - I think this is probably way closer to IE games, based on what I have seen and the use of PF which is DnD3.5++ (rather than PoE with its ..interesting.. rule set). I'm really looking forward to this, although I must admit that kingdom building is not of such great interest to me.

Tell me this. Is this game the true infinity engine successor?

That's one loaded question… well it depends on how one defines "infinity engine" game.

My honest opinion? Yes and no.

Does it play like Infinity Engine games? No. Kingmaker is… Kingmaker. Initially, it may seem similar to many different games (e.g. PoE, BG, and NWN) but as you play on you will notice that it distinguish itself from others with its own unique features, depth and charm.

Is it as fun as Infinity Engine games? YES, without a doubt! I'm actually enjoying the combat at low level (lv1 to lv 5 so far) hell of a lot more than in BG/IWD. As I mentioned before, I'm in love with the camping mechanic - I can just imagine my party all gathered around a bright and warm fire, discussing about the dinner menu, having an amusing conversation over a hearty meal, and finally retiring to bed, hoping no one will interrupt our well deserved rest after a hard day of adventuring. I enjoyed the story telling so far as well - while it's not as mesmerising as TW3, it was engaging enough to keep me interested the whole time.

Basically, what I'm trying to say is, I had so much fun throughout 21 hours I've spent on beta 1 and don't regret spoiling the game for myself before the full release.

That's one loaded question… well it depends on how one defines "infinity engine" game.

My honest opinion? Yes and no.

Does it play like Infinity Engine games? No. Kingmaker is… Kingmaker. Initially, it may seem similar to many different games (e.g. PoE, BG, and NWN) but as you play on you will notice that it distinguish itself from others with its own unique features, depth and charm.

Is it as fun as Infinity Engine games? YES, without a doubt! I'm actually enjoying the combat at low level (lv1 to lv 5 so far) hell of a lot more than in BG/IWD. As I mentioned before, I'm in love with the camping mechanic - I can just imagine my party all gathered around a bright and warm fire, discussing about the dinner menu, having an amusing conversation over a hearty meal, and finally retiring to bed, hoping no one will interrupt our well deserved rest after a hard day of adventuring. I enjoyed the story telling so far as well - while it's not as mesmerising as TW3, it was engaging enough to keep me interested the whole time.

Basically, what I'm trying to say is, I had so much fun throughout 21 hours I've spent on beta 1 and don't regret spoiling the game for myself before the full release.

Perfect answer :thumbsup:

I always think spiritual successors should be fun first and foremost. They need to do their own thing without sacrificing the genre to do it.

The camping mechanic is the perfect example of design evolution. Other developers would sacrifice the rest mechanic and excise it from the game completely, failing to realize its purpose. Others would leave it there like an extra limb disconnected from the rest of the game by meaningless complexity that doesn't add to the experience.

Well - not really related to kingmaker but I remember my first game with IWD. I had received a bunch of rpg from my sister (I never played an rpg or dnd prior) and one of them iwd or iwd2. Very early on I ran into a troll and killed it ! Uh but it kept getting back up and nothing I did would make it stay dead. Google wasn't really much around then but gamefaq mentioned something about acid or fire but i didn't have any acid or fire spells .... but I quickly checked all my inventory and found one scroll of something acid..... I never knew my mage had to learn acid or fire..... never knew....

As I mentioned before, I'm in love with the camping mechanic - I can just imagine my party all gathered around a bright and warm fire, discussing about the dinner menu, having an amusing conversation over a hearty meal, and finally retiring to bed, hoping no one will interrupt our well deserved rest after a hard day of adventuring.

The campfire is a really nice touch to the game. One thing that always bothered me in classic BioWare crpgs was the resting system.

Another thing that bothers me in any cRPG is the fact that no party members uses a backpack, but still, they are able to carry a bunch of items :lol:. In kingmaker the adventurers use backpacks! I know it is a minor detail, but the game becomes more immersive for me.

The campfire is a really nice touch to the game. One thing that always bothered me in classic BioWare crpgs was the resting system.

Another thing that bothers me in any cRPG is the fact that no party members uses a backpack, but still, they are able to carry a bunch of items :lol:. In kingmaker the adventurers use backpacks! I know it is a minor detail, but the game becomes more immersive for me.
Also the items you put in their quickslots show up on character's belts :)

So, I sunk in a few hours in beta 2.

First thing I need to say.... I'M A BARONESS!!! I gotta admit, I liked the whole ceremony, being introduced to everyone in my barony, and the initial kingdom building experience.

The ceremony was interesting because you get to meet your potential political allies/rivals.

Once I arrived at my fort, everyone was bowing to me, greeting their new baroness (I promise, I will treat you guys well! :D). You see merchant setting up the shops and peasants planning out to build their new home.

The Kingdom system so far has been interesting. It's a bit like War Table mission from DA:I but more elaborated. Depending on how you approach each event, you gain (or maybe lose?) different Kingdom stats (e.g. loyalty, trade etc). Your companions and few of other non-joinable NPCs can be your advisor for different aspects.

Sadly, the weekend is now over for me, and I have to wait till coming weekend to play more *sniff*

@purpleblob;
My kingdom will positively await their new ruler with equine anticipation. Poised to anticipate my desires at a moments notice their hearts will positively soar with delight at my magnificant magnifence and the comfortably adequate hovels at their disposal.

Yay will I wave at the peasants each morning, at a veritable safe distance in my lavish palace, content in my divine right to rule over the unruly mob.

:cool:

Back
Top Bottom