|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Games » Piranha Bytes » Risen » The axeman ! - SPOILERS

Default The axeman ! - SPOILERS

July 12th, 2016, 02:07
Hello all, I just (re)started playing Risen.
I have started the game a few time but never finished, so this time I have a goal in mind.

I want to be the biggest, baddest axe fighter the world of Risen has ever seen.

So I am now in the Don's camp and I have already banished Brogar and gotten to meet the Don. I hope I didn't break the game doing so as I still would to explore all the other areas.

Let me know as I only played for a few hours.

I would appreciate any tips in terms of skills to learn. My goal is to become an axe fighter, so strength is an obvious choice. I would go for a thieving axeman if possible, but I am not too interested in Crafting or Alchemy unless it is really a necessity.
I would like to have the best axe in the game if possible without crafting.

Other than that, I am now tasked to go to the Harbour Town and find his associates for information. I'll probably do that soon, but I ended up playing until 1AM (now) and I need to go to bed as I am waking up at 06.00
Pladio is online now

Pladio

Pladio's Avatar
Guardian of Nonsense
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor

#1

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Manchester, United Kingdom
Posts: 6,020
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Pladio

Default 

July 12th, 2016, 13:44
I wish I could help you, but it has been such a long time since I've played Risen. All I remember is to avoid the inquisition like the plague.
Gorath is offline

Gorath

Gorath's Avatar
Prime Evil
Moderator
RPGWatch Team
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

#2

Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 7,899
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Default 

July 12th, 2016, 15:23
Originally Posted by Pladio View Post
Hello all, I just (re)started playing Risen.
I have started the game a few time but never finished, so this time I have a goal in mind.

I want to be the biggest, baddest axe fighter the world of Risen has ever seen.

So I am now in the Don's camp and I have already banished Brogar and gotten to meet the Don. I hope I didn't break the game doing so as I still would to explore all the other areas.

Let me know as I only played for a few hours.

I would appreciate any tips in terms of skills to learn. My goal is to become an axe fighter, so strength is an obvious choice. I would go for a thieving axeman if possible, but I am not too interested in Crafting or Alchemy unless it is really a necessity.
I would like to have the best axe in the game if possible without crafting.
Good choice then! Crafting, for the most part, makes excellent swords. Axes can generally be bought from the smith in the swamp. Also, all the trainers you need are there, so joining the bandits is a good call. As for abilities: Strength and axe. I'd also get some thief stuff, as you'll have plenty of points if you don't go for any kind of magic or ranged combat (and there's no need to as an axe fighter).

There are also a few rings of +axe, which are well worth it. You should have found one already, make sure to keep it for later use. There's no need to actually train axe beyond rank 6 or so. Put the rest in strength and a few thieving abilities in my opinion.
Maylander is offline

Maylander

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

#3

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Bergen
Posts: 7,132
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Maylander

Default 

July 13th, 2016, 11:22
Originally Posted by Maylander View Post
Good choice then! Crafting, for the most part, makes excellent swords. Axes can generally be bought from the smith in the swamp. Also, all the trainers you need are there, so joining the bandits is a good call. As for abilities: Strength and axe. I'd also get some thief stuff, as you'll have plenty of points if you don't go for any kind of magic or ranged combat (and there's no need to as an axe fighter).

There are also a few rings of +axe, which are well worth it. You should have found one already, make sure to keep it for later use. There's no need to actually train axe beyond rank 6 or so. Put the rest in strength and a few thieving abilities in my opinion.
So I am now in Harbour Town. I have 2 ranks in pickpockets and open locks as well as sneak. I have 30 STR and 2 ranks in Axe at the moment. I also have 20 LPs left and enough gold.

It seems like having a shield and sword still seems more powerful than the axes at the moment as it allows me to survive longer. I am assuming axes will be more powerful once I put a bit more points into it.

I did find the +1 AXE ring and +1 to Acrobatics too. So I'm at rank 3 Axe.



In terms of story, I am almost done with everything at the Swamp camp where I already saw Esteban and got rid of Brogar. I really didn't like the a**.

In Harbour town I have completed multiple quests and "can" complete a few more.
I just want to have a relatively untouched save from here (or neat here) in case I want to join the mages or inquisition in a future playthrough. So I will keep them as unsolved until a bit later.

I find the Don's men like more regular people trying to survive, which is probably why I associate myself more with them than the Inquisition.

In terms of game, it does feel a lot like Gothic. Lots of hand-placed loot. Choices to be made in terms of quests, including some branching. I am enjoying it.

Any ideas where to learn Pickpocketing rank 3 and Open Locks rank 3 ?
Pladio is online now

Pladio

Pladio's Avatar
Guardian of Nonsense
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor

#4

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Manchester, United Kingdom
Posts: 6,020
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Pladio

Default 

July 13th, 2016, 12:06
Originally Posted by Pladio View Post
Any ideas where to learn Pickpocketing rank 3 and Open Locks rank 3 ?
Later on from certain thieves if you fully join the Don.

As for axe vs sword. I won't spoil anything, but I strongly suggest getting a few more ranks of axe. It'll quickly surpass swords. Rank 5 + a ring of axe should suffice I think. Also, take off the ring when you learn new ranks, or you'll be paying for the fully boosted rank, not the one your character is actually at.
Maylander is offline

Maylander

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

#5

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Bergen
Posts: 7,132
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Maylander

Default 

July 13th, 2016, 12:56
Originally Posted by Maylander View Post
Later on from certain thieves if you fully join the Don.

As for axe vs sword. I won't spoil anything, but I strongly suggest getting a few more ranks of axe. It'll quickly surpass swords. Rank 5 + a ring of axe should suffice I think. Also, take off the ring when you learn new ranks, or you'll be paying for the fully boosted rank, not the one your character is actually at.
Thank you Maylander.

About taking off rings. Yeah I noticed that. I would have thought the game developers would have done that better. It's a bit like exploiting learning skills in Gothic 2 where you can pay less LPs by training to 19 points first and then another 5, rather than going from 20 to 25.
Pladio is online now

Pladio

Pladio's Avatar
Guardian of Nonsense
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor

#6

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Manchester, United Kingdom
Posts: 6,020
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Pladio

Default 

July 13th, 2016, 14:10
Originally Posted by Pladio View Post
Thank you Maylander.

About taking off rings. Yeah I noticed that. I would have thought the game developers would have done that better. It's a bit like exploiting learning skills in Gothic 2 where you can pay less LPs by training to 19 points first and then another 5, rather than going from 20 to 25.
You're welcome!

Well, that one is a bit worse, in that it's almost an exploit (which I admit I use from time to time). This is simply something to keep in mind or you'll pay a bit much for your skills. It doesn't really affect anything beyond that.

That being said, a similar issue does exist in Gothic 2: NotR as well. For example, Master Sword will give +10% 1h weapon skill. If you equip it with 20% skill, you'll obviously get 30%, which is enough to be an "Expert", granting a new combo and so on. All that is working as intended, but it also means trainers that are capped at 30% won't teach you, even if your actual skill is 20%, so you need to remove the sword first. Similar issue as Risen.
Maylander is offline

Maylander

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

#7

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Bergen
Posts: 7,132
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Maylander

Default 

July 13th, 2016, 15:27
Originally Posted by Pladio View Post
It seems like having a shield and sword still seems more powerful than the axes at the moment as it allows me to survive longer. I am assuming axes will be more powerful once I put a bit more points into it.
Can you still use a shield when using an axe? I've never tried axes in Risen, but now I'm thinking I might follow that route the next time I play.
JDR13 is offline

JDR13

JDR13's Avatar
SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

#8

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Florida, US
Posts: 25,368
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)

Default 

July 13th, 2016, 15:39
Don't axe me, I only played Risen 3
--
c-computer, r-role, p-playing, g-game, nut-extreme fan
=crpgnut or just
'nut @crpgnut
crpgnut is offline

crpgnut

crpgnut's Avatar
Grumpy Role Player
Original Sin Donor

#9

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: St. Louis, Mo USA
Posts: 7,353
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)

Default 

July 13th, 2016, 15:58
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
Can you still use a shield when using an axe? I've never tried axes in Risen, but now I'm thinking I might follow that route the next time I play.
Spoiler
Maylander is offline

Maylander

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

#10

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Bergen
Posts: 7,132
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Maylander

Default 

July 14th, 2016, 09:12
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
Can you still use a shield when using an axe? I've never tried axes in Risen, but now I'm thinking I might follow that route the next time I play.
Originally Posted by Maylander View Post
Spoiler
It seems Maylander answers your question…

I believe I have now gone through all of Harbour Town's quests.
I am wondering if I should explore the island some more before joining a faction. Any clues?

I cheated a bit by finding the key to the door leading outside through a guide, so I can now enter/leave the Harbour as I wish. Note that I hate missing out on hidden rooms and such because I refuse to go around every painting in every house to find the hidden switch. I find that an archaic form of puzzles that worked when you had only corridors you could follow and clicking on every tile made some sense as you were graphing it out. Nowadays, the games (especially like Gothic/Risen) are too open to do these kinds of "puzzles". So I don't feel guilty looking these things up.

Other than that, the game is still quite fun and if not for having to wake up at 05.00 this morning, I would have played several more hours.

I really like the faction system PB made/makes. It makes it very interesting. At first I was convinced I wanted to be an axeman for the Don, but the Inquisition is drawing me in with their mysteriousness…

I will make a save soon to keep these choices available for potential future playthroughs.
Anyone know if replaying is worth it ? Are there major differences ? (i.e. Gothic 1 ends up being very linear)

So basically, a few questions:

- Is it worth going out and exploring before finishing Harbour Town quests ?
- Are the following chapters very linear like Gothic 1 or are the experiences quite different for the different factions ?

Thank you all. Especially the nut
Pladio is online now

Pladio

Pladio's Avatar
Guardian of Nonsense
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor

#11

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Manchester, United Kingdom
Posts: 6,020
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Pladio

Default 

July 14th, 2016, 10:00
Originally Posted by Pladio View Post
- Is it worth going out and exploring before finishing Harbour Town quests ?
No harm in it, though it doesn't make much difference unless you intend to make a save before joining a faction and reloading from it. If you do, then obviously the stuff you clear now won't have to be re-cleared. As with most PB games, new chapters also mean better gear at vendors, so you won't get access to top notch axes until you progress a bit.
Originally Posted by Pladio View Post
- Are the following chapters very linear like Gothic 1 or are the experiences quite different for the different factions ?
It's more varied than Gothic, but still ends up being rather similar. It might be worth doing a second playthrough, but I'd recommend going the opposite direction to get the most differences:
1. Start out in the Don's camp and essentially repeat what you just did. Get some early strength and such.
2. Go to Harbor Town, but resolve the quests in favor of the Inquisition instead of the Don.
3. This will grant you a pass to the Monastery, with which you can choose to become a Mage. There is no way to become a Mage without this pass. With the pass, you can choose between the two fighting styles of the Monastery; without it, you'll be limited to melee (with some crystal magic).
4. Become a Mage and focus on crystal magic + a few spells here and there. Some people prefer the bullets for their speed; I prefer fire for the AoE it grants at higher ranks. Ice is somewhat overrated.

The reason I'd do this is because I don't think the game is different enough to warrant starting over unless you're also going to change the style of combat. There are a few different quests and such, and the initiation quest of the Monastery is generally worth it, but halfway through the game you'll still be whacking away at the same enemies.
Maylander is offline

Maylander

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

#12

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Bergen
Posts: 7,132
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Maylander

Default 

July 14th, 2016, 10:17
Originally Posted by Maylander View Post
No harm in it, though it doesn't make much difference unless you intend to make a save before joining a faction and reloading from it. If you do, then obviously the stuff you clear now won't have to be re-cleared. As with most PB games, new chapters also mean better gear at vendors, so you won't get access to top notch axes until you progress a bit.

It's more varied than Gothic, but still ends up being rather similar. It might be worth doing a second playthrough, but I'd recommend going the opposite direction to get the most differences:
1. Start out in the Don's camp and essentially repeat what you just did. Get some early strength and such.
2. Go to Harbor Town, but resolve the quests in favor of the Inquisition instead of the Don.
3. This will grant you a pass to the Monastery, with which you can choose to become a Mage. There is no way to become a Mage without this pass. With the pass, you can choose between the two fighting styles of the Monastery; without it, you'll be limited to melee (with some crystal magic).
4. Become a Mage and focus on crystal magic + a few spells here and there. Some people prefer the bullets for their speed; I prefer fire for the AoE it grants at higher ranks. Ice is somewhat overrated.

The reason I'd do this is because I don't think the game is different enough to warrant starting over unless you're also going to change the style of combat. There are a few different quests and such, and the initiation quest of the Monastery is generally worth it, but halfway through the game you'll still be whacking away at the same enemies.
Thanks

As a mage, I guess you'd go more with Alchemy and Magic, rather than Thieving skills. So maybe it would warrant a new playthrough rather than saving the current one as a hotsave.
Pladio is online now

Pladio

Pladio's Avatar
Guardian of Nonsense
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor

#13

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Manchester, United Kingdom
Posts: 6,020
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Pladio

Default 

July 14th, 2016, 13:32
Originally Posted by Pladio View Post
Thanks

As a mage, I guess you'd go more with Alchemy and Magic, rather than Thieving skills. So maybe it would warrant a new playthrough rather than saving the current one as a hotsave.
I tend to get them all regardless. The overall points cost isn't that high, and they're needed to get the best stuff:
- Alchemy for permanent stat boosts (if I recall correctly, you can increase your strength by about 100 using ogre root + hero crown potions).
- Jewelcrafting creates the best rings and amulets.
- Thieving is needed to open chests that contain top notch items. I guess you can skip pickpocket, though it does pay for itself. Also, as a Mage you get a spell that can unlock chests, but it's gained a bit too late in my opinion.
Maylander is offline

Maylander

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

#14

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Bergen
Posts: 7,132
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Maylander

Default 

July 14th, 2016, 13:33
Are there enough skill points for all that ??
Pladio is online now

Pladio

Pladio's Avatar
Guardian of Nonsense
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor

#15

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Manchester, United Kingdom
Posts: 6,020
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Pladio

Default 

July 14th, 2016, 14:02
Originally Posted by Pladio View Post
Are there enough skill points for all that ??
Alchemy and Smithing are only 15 points each to max, so 30 in total. That's 3 levels, and you potentially get +100 strength and some fantastic items in return. That's if you manage to collect all the hero crowns and ogre roots in the game (20x I think).

The thieving skills may not give an obvious boost in the same way, but they're also only about 3 levels in total (I tend to avoid sneaking and acrobatics, and just use rings when I need it).

That still leaves you with about 300 points, so yes, I feel it's worth it. However, I don't bother with either Smithing or Alchemy until I've got all my main skills, so in your case I'd beef up my axe skill to 5-6 and strength probably all the way to 100, and then boost it from there with Alchemy. Or some such thing.
Maylander is offline

Maylander

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

#16

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Bergen
Posts: 7,132
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Maylander

Default 

July 14th, 2016, 16:40
Originally Posted by Maylander View Post
Alchemy and Smithing are only 15 points each to max, so 30 in total. That's 3 levels, and you potentially get +100 strength and some fantastic items in return. That's if you manage to collect all the hero crowns and ogre roots in the game (20x I think).

The thieving skills may not give an obvious boost in the same way, but they're also only about 3 levels in total (I tend to avoid sneaking and acrobatics, and just use rings when I need it).

That still leaves you with about 300 points, so yes, I feel it's worth it. However, I don't bother with either Smithing or Alchemy until I've got all my main skills, so in your case I'd beef up my axe skill to 5-6 and strength probably all the way to 100, and then boost it from there with Alchemy. Or some such thing.
Ah ok, since I have already put some points in Thieving skills I'll focus on Axe and strength now. Would you focus on STR first or Axe ? Or mix it up ?
I am not sure what bonuses Axe gives other than better/faster moves.
Pladio is online now

Pladio

Pladio's Avatar
Guardian of Nonsense
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor

#17

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Manchester, United Kingdom
Posts: 6,020
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Pladio

Default 

July 15th, 2016, 09:15
Originally Posted by Pladio View Post
Ah ok, since I have already put some points in Thieving skills I'll focus on Axe and strength now. Would you focus on STR first or Axe ? Or mix it up ?
I am not sure what bonuses Axe gives other than better/faster moves.
Getting rank 6 in total (5 + 1 due to the ring or 4 + 2 if you can find the second ring) is rather important, but then again.. no Strength means you won't be able to damage anything, no matter how high your axe rank is. It's a balancing act really, until you get that rank, at which point I'd go all out Strength until it was maxed (maybe add in the remaining thief skills when they're available).

Also, if you're struggling against certain enemies, using power attack will solve most fights: Open with a power attack, jump back twice, another power attack when they get close, etc. Works wonders.
Maylander is offline

Maylander

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

#18

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Bergen
Posts: 7,132
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Maylander

Default 

July 15th, 2016, 09:20
Originally Posted by Maylander View Post
Getting rank 6 in total (5 + 1 due to the ring or 4 + 2 if you can find the second ring) is rather important, but then again.. no Strength means you won't be able to damage anything, no matter how high your axe rank is. It's a balancing act really, until you get that rank, at which point I'd go all out Strength until it was maxed (maybe add in the remaining thief skills when they're available).

Also, if you're struggling against certain enemies, using power attack will solve most fights: Open with a power attack, jump back twice, another power attack when they get close, etc. Works wonders.
Thanks Maylander for all your advice.
I have completed all the Harbour Town quests now and will be going back to the Don.
I did get Open Lock and Pickpocketing 3 though. I enjoy the Thieving skills quite a lot. Probably should have become a thief in real life

I also increased my Strength to 45 and my axe skill to 4. Once I get to the camp, I will probably buy the best axe I can use and practice with that

I find one quest a bit too bad for the Don's men (e.g. the cow). I still did it, because it reminded me of that Godfather scene But it's not the thieving route I was expecting. In my opinion those are "evil" acts they should add to games. Instead of "I'm going to murder everyone!!!!!" or "Give me all your gold".

Other than that, the game is still quite fun. I had never reached this point before due to too many distractions. I think I am enjoying playing one game at a time again better than everything at once.
Pladio is online now

Pladio

Pladio's Avatar
Guardian of Nonsense
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor

#19

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Manchester, United Kingdom
Posts: 6,020
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Pladio

Default 

July 15th, 2016, 15:16
Originally Posted by Pladio View Post
Thanks Maylander for all your advice.
I have completed all the Harbour Town quests now and will be going back to the Don.
I did get Open Lock and Pickpocketing 3 though. I enjoy the Thieving skills quite a lot. Probably should have become a thief in real life

I also increased my Strength to 45 and my axe skill to 4. Once I get to the camp, I will probably buy the best axe I can use and practice with that

I find one quest a bit too bad for the Don's men (e.g. the cow). I still did it, because it reminded me of that Godfather scene But it's not the thieving route I was expecting. In my opinion those are "evil" acts they should add to games. Instead of "I'm going to murder everyone!!!!!" or "Give me all your gold".

Other than that, the game is still quite fun. I had never reached this point before due to too many distractions. I think I am enjoying playing one game at a time again better than everything at once.
No problem!

As for the thieving thing: I agree, it's well done. I like it. I even think the lockpicking thing is acceptable, which I usually only find frustrating in games.

I also have to admit I usually don't do the cow quest, even when I join the Don. You can do a few quests for the Inquisition and still pass the overall quest for the Don, which is nice, as I just don't feel like killing that poor cow..
Maylander is offline

Maylander

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

#20

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Bergen
Posts: 7,132
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Maylander
RPGWatch Forums » Games » Piranha Bytes » Risen » The axeman ! - SPOILERS
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 15:12.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright by RPGWatch