RPGWatch - Game of the Year Awards 2019

I can generate a list of all games released from Januari 1, 2000 up to and including December 31, 2019

I like the sound of that, but before I think about this further just wanted to jump in and recommend you alter the typo, quite an important one for the discussion. Unless it's not a typo.

Top 10 from every year then? That would make it 100 games. Top 10 *should* be enough to cover the important titles from "better" years?

And then perhaps everyone could choose their top 5 from the list?

Top 10 from every year then? That would make it 100 games. Top 10 *should* be enough to cover the important titles from "better" years?

And then perhaps everyone could choose their top 5 from the list?

Are you deliberately trying to wind me up?

It is not a lot, something like 110-120 IIRC, but why bother with open questions? We had them in the past and they never brought a game into the top 10.

I can generate a list of all games released from Januari 1, 2000 up to and including December 31, 2019, with the numbers for number of news posts, comments and h-index. If someone is willing to go through this and select a reasonable short list of something like 100 games max. I can send that long list to that person.
We then can put that short list up for further discussion on the forums and perhaps reduce it further (or not). I can make a contest of the resulting list.

For this game of the decade, I think we should be able to vote for more than 3 games. Perhaps 10? Leaves the question on how to mathematically calculate the winner from that.

That sounds like much more work than I could devote on my own.

At the risk of being a PITA, What would be the problem with my idea?

if you want 10 games then everyone just submit their top 10 in no particular order. lets say you get the 120 submissions. I'd print them out, take the first one and write down the 10 games putting a mark by each. I'd then take the second one and put a mark by each duplicate game listed and write down any new games. Then repeat for all submissions. I'm guessing 30 submissions an hour could easily be done. Probably more as once you get in to it they're will be a lot more duplicates than games to write down. If we had a couple other volunteers you're only talking an hour or 2 each person. We then combine the votes and the top 10 with the most votes are the games.

Not the most scientific but I would think that would give a fairly accurate impression of the top 10 GOTD for the watch and wouldn't take much of anyone's time, no?

Are you deliberately trying to wind me up?

No actually, I read your post a few pages back (didn't have it completely fresh though) and I thought you meant that the top 5 of the GOTYs was too narrow (which was Myrthos first suggestion) and I proposed we use the entire top 10 instead. Going back to your post I can kind of see your point about "winding you up" because you don't think the top 10 will suffice either? I'm not entirely sure though…

Personally, I severely doubt any game that didn't make the top 10 of any year would be relevant for this vote? There might be some outliers, but can you think of any that you honestly think have a chance of making say the Top 10 of GOTD?

Not the most scientific but I would think that would give a fairly accurate impression of the top 10 GOTD for the watch and wouldn't take much of anyone's time, no?

&

Personally, I severely doubt any game that didn't make the top 10 of any year would be relevant for this vote? There might be some outliers, but can you think of any that you honestly think have a chance of making say the Top 10 of GOTD?

It's entirely academic if you're just aiming for a top 10, as we all know what that 10 will comprise of already:

Skyrim
Witcher 3
Witcher 2
Pillars of Eternity
Fallout New Vegas
Pathfinder Kingmaker
Dark Souls
Mass Effect 2
Divinity Original Sin
Divinity Original Sin 2

To which you might have some extremely minor variance such as Wasteland 2 or Elex instead of Pillars of Eternity or something.

If you can honestly think of any other result then by all means just grab some big names and go through the all too predictable motions.

However, if you want the poll to be actually interesting beyond an "Oh woah is me, my game was 6th instead of 4th, the outrage" then you're going to have to find a way to let people actually vote for the games they liked and have that visibly represented rather than just tip the scale even further than it already is.

I think the top 5 of each year are a big enough list.
But I haven't a problem with top 10, or a subset of all games by h-index ranking.

I wouldn't want the votes to have equal weight. They should be ranked just like the GOTY votes and because of consistency the same metrics should be used to calculate the final ranking as is used in the GOTY votes.

And I really would like to have a vote on the "series of the decade". It's alittle more difficult to define the candidates though.
Should only those games be included that had all parts of the series released in the decade? Or would it be enough for one of the parts?
In the first case The Elder Scrolls and Fallout would not be included.
My suggestions would be that all series should be included where at least half of the parts had been released in the decade.

I like the sound of that, but before I think about this further just wanted to jump in and recommend you alter the typo, quite an important one for the discussion. Unless it's not a typo.
Oh right, corrected that :)

For the record, the idea is to use the same voting system as for the GOTY. It outputs a CSV file. After that it is just using some formulas in Excel to get to the results.
The work is in getting the list down to reasonable size, while still being representative.

I modified the code for getting the data a bit and the result is that there are 809 games in our database with a release date somewhere in the range of January 1st 2010 and December 31 2019.
There are add-ons in that list, perhaps some DLC as well and it is very likely that there are games in there that not everybody considers an RPG :)

Having thought about it, there seems to be two distinct objectives being pushed by the most interested parties here:

1. It should operate under the same mechanical process as the GOTY.

2. It should only bother to include games from previous GOTYs and produce a very short list of big games.

To which I wonder why we need to bother re-voting anyway, all that information is readily or nearly readily available:

Each year you write what each game scored, well apart from you forgot between 2014 and 2016, but from all the other years we already have enough info to make a top 12:

Skyrim - 38 points
Div OS 2 - 38 points
Witcher 2 - 33 points
Pathfinder Kingmaker - 26 points
Fallout NV - 23.6 points
Pillars Deadfire - 20 points
Elex - 19 points
Mass Effect 2 - 17.4 points
Div OS - you didn't say
Wasteland 2 - you didn't say
Witcher 3 - you didn't say
Pillars 1 - you didn't say

If you still have the numbers for those last games, then you have your top 12, unless there was another game from 2014-2016 that scored well above 15 points.

I'm struggling to see why all the effort of a new vote is needed if you know what I mean. What's the objective beyond reaffirming what we already know?

As to 1: If RPGWatch is to organize the game of the decade, I would use the existing voting system we have. Anything else is too much work and someone else on this forum can do it instead. I don't mean this is a negative way. I am fine with someone else organizing it and coming up with a method that he or she thinks works. We can still name it the RPGWatch game of the decade, but I am not going to invest the time needed for that.

As to item 2. Given that there are 'weak' and 'strong' years, the points or percentages in a year cannot be compared with other years. But, I do think that the top 10 of the Game of the Decade is predictable, given the previous GOTYs. Perhaps the actual differences in scoring between the games in the top 10, could be interesting.

One reason to add here: Lots of us do not play the game in the same year as they are released in. And in that case we can never vote for these games in a normal GOTY vote while we could vote for them now in a GOTD vote.

&

It's entirely academic if you're just aiming for a top 10, as we all know what that 10 will comprise of already:

Skyrim
Witcher 3
Witcher 2
Pillars of Eternity
Fallout New Vegas
Pathfinder Kingmaker
Dark Souls
Mass Effect 2
Divinity Original Sin
Divinity Original Sin 2

I see your point. Of the games above only 2 or maybe 3 would be included in my personal top 10 OTD, but I concede the games above would make a probable list.

As to 1: If RPGWatch is to organize the game of the decade, I would use the existing voting system we have. Anything else is too much work and someone else on this forum can do it instead. I don't mean this is a negative way. I am fine with someone else organizing it and coming up with a method that he or she thinks works. We can still name it the RPGWatch game of the decade, but I am not going to invest the time needed for that.

As to item 2. Given that there are 'weak' and 'strong' years, the points or percentages in a year cannot be compared with other years. But, I do think that the top 10 of the Game of the Decade is predictable, given the previous GOTYs. Perhaps the actual differences in scoring between the games in the top 10, could be interesting.

As someone who loves rummaging through statistical data and considers that entertainment rather than work, and as someone who has zero stake in whether Witcher 3 or Skyrim gets the no.1 spot, I'd be more than happy to provide you with a Game of the Decade service and be the fall guy for any resulting drama revolving around the demand to know whether Witcher 3 or Skyrim is the game of the decade here.

I've sent the link to the file to you

The decade award will be worthwhile for products that rank 2, 3 and so forth.

One reason to add here: Lots of us do not play the game in the same year as they are released in. And in that case we can never vote for these games in a normal GOTY vote while we could vote for them now in a GOTD vote.

Yep. Plus perspectives on a game can change over time, due in no small part to patch fixes and DLC. (But that's probably not fair to new games though.) An example that comes to mind is PoE, which improved quite a bit with the White March expansions.

Back
Top Bottom