Replacement for Chrome.

zahratustra

SasqWatch
I'm just about ready to ditch my Chrome browser and I'm looking for a replacement. Which one would you guys and galls recommend? I don't want anything too complicated with functions similar to Chrome ( so I don't have to spend ages getting used to it all over again) and one that would play.

I'm just about ready to ditch my Chrome browser and I'm looking for a replacement. Which one would you guys and galls recommend? I don't want anything too complicated with functions similar to Chrome ( so I don't have to spend ages getting used to it all over again) and one that would play.
Firefox would be my second option if not for chrome. It is very similar to it but with some slightlt different features and addins.

Why do you want to change?

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Firefox all the way, IMO. Its performance is excellent these days, and I wouldn't bother with anything else.

Firefox seems to be the best bet. A couple of years I would have called it a turd but they have improved it a bit. There is (or was) a second version of chrome floating around that was based off the chrome source released by google but not owned by google.

You're probably thinking of Chromium. It's essentially built from the same source code, without some of Google's proprietary bits. It still feeds back to Google, though, so I wouldn't see the point in switching from Chrome.

I definitely wouldn't recommend any of the other "Chrome-based" browsers. They are often poorly maintained by small teams, and way behind in security fixes, etc.

Firefox would be my second option if not for chrome. It is very similar to it but with some slightlt different features and addins.

Why do you want to change?

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Mainly because I want to be able to play swf files and I also dislike the way it tracks my movements for google.

Firefox all the way, IMO. Its performance is excellent these days, and I wouldn't bother with anything else.

Is it possible to import Chrome's bookmarks to Firexfox?

Thanks! Looks like we have a winner!

I've heard about a "new kid on the block", and it's named after a famous composer : Vivaldi.
I didn't try out out much yet, so I can't say much about it.

Funny, I thought the latest FF was Chromium based but its not. They are still flirting with the idea though.

What's the scoop on Opera these days? I hear it has pretty good built in adware and malware protection.

Opera is seemingly currently built on a fork ? of the Chromium engine …
Since I don't want Apple or Google engines, I was actively going back to an older version of Opera, but I rarely use that these days.
Opera itself (the firm) seems to be completely Chinese these days.

Wikipedia also says this :

Vivaldi: A freeware web browser by former Opera Software employees who were not satisfied by the development decisions of the company

I use Opera most of the time. It is a great browser. The chrome extensions work on it too by the way.

I also use Firefox as a secondary browser. One thing I don't like about firefox is that it often seems to start eating memory and causes freezing if you have too many tabs open. That can happen with opera too but not nearly as often or as much.

Vivaldi is also good and is up and coming. Another good alternative is Pale Moon which is basically an older version of Firefox kept up to date.

Planning to switch too, ( to Firefox). But I've no idea what half of my passwords are.
Think it was *********** for this place.

That link I posted above tells you how to bring your passwords over, too.

Back
Top Bottom