AC Odyssey tips, hints and impressions

Thank you for your comments. I did some more reading and it seems that from what I've read (comments on the game and similar) is that origin is a soso game and odyssey is suppose to be much better (both as a game and with regards to technical issues) so I think I'll skip origin and just wait for Odyssey game of the year version.

I have i5 4570K CPU and AC origin and odyssey runs 95% to 100% on all 4 cores. But this is like 4 or 5 year old CPU now. I have 1080 Ti to go with it and I am running ultrawide at 3440 x 1440 with max setting (only turned down volumetric clouds to medium) and I can get 50 - 80 FPS. So if you are playing at 1080p you won't have any issues with decent CPU and GPU. The low FPS take place in cities with lots of NPC walking around.

It has never created any issues for me. Last night I did 5 hour marathon of odyssey and not a single crash :p

Note that although it run CPU busy, I have not seen CPU temps go up more than 50C.

Note that this game benefits from multi cores so you will get better numbers on i7 etc.

The thing you have to remember is that these games run on xbox and still looks good…

Tip - AC Odyssey has "grind" quest (message boards) which I have been ignoring and you should as well. However still take those which have kill 10 Spartans or Athenians etc as you will be killing these anyway and they will simply auto update and give you decent xp.

Duh... AC:Origins is still at full price on Steam. Do these games go on sale somewhen?

gmg had the sale but i think it is over; anyway it is stupid to buy a ubishit game on steam because then you are stuck with both steam and uplay and all the issues if one isn't working quite right. always by ubishit games on ubi (or ubi keys) and skip the steam side. Of course I think if you buy the game on steam you can 'import' it directly into ubi and never run steam after the first time but i forget if this is still the case. Most of my ubi games ('cept child of light which is FANTASTIC and MMX which is not as good as it should have been); were freebies (video cards and stuff).

The "steam version" goes on sale very rarely. Mostly during the big steam sale so we are due one soon right?

However the uplay version goes on sale regularly. Its currently on sale for $22

https://www.greenmangaming.com/games/assassins-creed-origins/

gmg had the sale but i think it is over; anyway it is stupid to buy a ubishit game on steam because then you are stuck with both steam and uplay and all the issues if one isn't working quite right. always by ubishit games on ubi (or ubi keys) and skip the steam side. Of course I think if you buy the game on steam you can 'import' it directly into ubi and never run steam after the first time but i forget if this is still the case. Most of my ubi games ('cept child of light which is FANTASTIC and MMX which is not as good as it should have been); were freebies (video cards and stuff).

GMG sale is still on at last here on UK site.

I bought AC Odyssey on steam as I like to keep my games in one place even though I am not averse to multiple clients. Uplay is running in the background but I never see it and it doesn't interfere with anything.

Also my steam and uplay accounts are linked so uplay magically knows I now have AC Odyssey. There was no key copy from steam to uplay etc.

Thank you for your comments. I did some more reading and it seems that from what I've read (comments on the game and similar) is that origin is a soso game and odyssey is suppose to be much better (both as a game and with regards to technical issues) so I think I'll skip origin and just wait for Odyssey game of the year version.

Origins is a really lovely game but lighter on RPG aspects like choice and builds. I enjoy the desert, the Nile and egyptian culture more than the greece but i guess that is subjective.

Origins is a really lovely game but lighter on RPG aspects like choice and builds. I enjoy the desert, the Nile and egyptian culture more than the greece but i guess that is subjective.
Is it? I'be heard that Odyssey's advertised RPG features had actually been included in Origins also. SO this is wrong and Odyssey is in fact much more an RPG?

Is it? I'be heard that Odyssey's advertised RPG features had actually been included in Origins also. SO this is wrong and Odyssey is in fact much more an RPG?

Odyssey is "more" of an RPG than Origins but all the RPG features Odyssey has are also in Origins as well. For example, Odyssey supports more build variety than Origins but this does not mean Origins don't support builds. It just means if you can have 10 different builds (made up number) in Origins then you get 14/15 in Odyssey.

Having said that, Origins allow you to play very defensive fighter since it supports shields to block which is lacking in Odyssey. So in some ways Odyssey is lacking in different play style which is more important than 15 different offensive build types etc.

Odyssey does improves on the "illusion" of C&C but even Odyssey is not Witcher 3. Both games are RPG lites in that regards. However I found the main story of both games to be enjoyable.

In my humble opinion Origins is simply worth it for Egypt alone :) They have built an amazing world.

Thanks. After finishing Pathfinder I'll perhaps try it.

Lemme add/repeat too. Differences. ;)

Origins - a main story with no branching (linear)
Odyssey - a main story that has three branches to follow independantly

Origins - no c&c at all
Odyssey - c&c not only in main story but also within sidequests

Origins - Skyrim's jack of all trades master of everything build
Odyssey - impossible to master every skill

Origins - male hero and one "romance"
Odyssey - male or female hero, a dozen or more "romances"
It's possible to hit on the main villain. Yes, the major villain. Not a joke, you read it correctly. Your options aren't just kill or let live, there is a third option - "seduce".

Origins - every gold item is an unchangeable unique bonuses combo, no set bonuses, legendary items can be sold or dismantled
Odyssey - you can practically get an item with bonuses you want by crafting, legendary sets have set bonus, legendary items cannot be sold nor dismantled

Origins - no repercussions for being "naughty"
Odyssey - stealing in plain sight, killing civillians or domestic animals, burning silo, etc throws a bounty on your head and mercenaries (minibosses) trying to kill you

Origins - racing (chariots), thankfully it's just an optional activity
Odyssey - no racing GTA bullshit whatsoever

Last edited:
Thanks alot.

I see that Odyssey indeed has significantly more RPG features. Depending on when I'll finish Pathfinder and what other games are available then I'll try Origins nevertheless.
I'm from time to time dip into other genres. For example I've played Rise of the Tomb Raider some months ago and enjoyed it for what it was.
However I'm hesitant to pay full price for these actiony games.

Only the combat is actioney thanks to mainstream gaming sites and their praise on Dark Souls QTE2.0. I can't stand it, but as usual, I don't care about "gameplay" at all. Note that while I believe it should be manageable by anyone, I'm not to trust as I have no problems "mastering" in any kind of overrated "gameplay" (unless controls are horribly ported but then I'd refund the trash anyway).

The necessity to micromanage climbing/parkour through QTE keypresses was removed in Origins already as the focus in RPG is not supposed to rely on player's reflexes (much) but on hero/party ingame skills. In both Origins and Odyssey the hero moves horizontally without any QTE while vertically you just need to hold shift (climb up) or C (climb down). This shifted old environment puzzles, where you needed to crack which keys to press and when in order to get somewhere, into RPGlike ones where you need to move or destroy obstacles, kill some snakes, break cracked walls or climb on some "platform" - but without necessity to press some button(s) in some tiny timed interval (that's why I'm calling it QTE).

Because of the same reason to avoid dependance on players' reflexes I guess, whatever vehicle/animal racing was removed from Odyssey. As I said, racing still exists in Origins, but it's an optional activity that isn't even a sidequest.

Stealth approach is still the same as it's success doesn't depend much on player's fingers speed but on positioning, hero's skills and items.

Shipfights… If you played any Sea Dogs title or Raven's Cry which also uses the same system, you know what to expect. Differences are you don't have 4 but 2 types of "ammo" (damage boosted with fire later) and your ship crew can duck in AC shipfights. In both Origins and Odyssey. If you didn't play older RPGs with shipfights, just do me a favor and play it with k+m. Easy peasy.

EDIT:
Worst to best AC game assassins list on PC gamer:
https://www.pcgamer.com/the-assassins-of-assassins-creed-ranked-from-worst-to-best/
Lemme spoil their worst game protagonist: a guy from AC3 who dealt with mad king George (no they didn't say what he had to fight against).
Me? Stopped reading there.

Last edited:
Well I only skimmed that pcgamer article; but it seemed pretty useless because each person on the editorial team had a different ranking with no consensus at all.

EDIT:
Worst to best AC game assassins list on PC gamer:
https://www.pcgamer.com/the-assassins-of-assassins-creed-ranked-from-worst-to-best/
Lemme spoil their worst game protagonist: a guy from AC3 who dealt with mad king George (no they didn't say what he had to fight against).
Me? Stopped reading there.

Is anyone playing Odyssey in Exploration Mode? How big of a difference does it actually make?

I am playing it in exploration mode and happy with its implementation. It doesn't take you for an idiot and its fun to locate places based on the quest descriptions (see images below). After few hours you will spot a pattern between the quest text and how the quest objectives are located so it becomes easy to find these things but I think of this as huge positive of quest design.

However, once you are close (few meters) to the quest objectives you get hint and you have *option* of using your eagle to further pinpoint the quest objective. Then the quest marker shows up. So if its an NPC and you locate him using the eagle then the quest marker will follow him around.

99068906.jpg

ac-odyssey-hiding.jpg

Played both modes. Basically, new area, go exploration and solve all (side)quests you can get this way. Once done with "everything", turn mapclutter back to see what have you missed - seeing a few ?s (unexplored poinst of interest) on the map is imminent.

IMO they should have implemented this automatically. No clutter anywhere in a new area and only after solving proper (side)quests, only then you get points of interest marked on the map. But not as ? - among quest rewards it would have been nice each questgiver points you to a tomb, camp or something that might interest you with an icon representing what's there.

Sadly, they made it differently so some of these points of interest you find through the horrible grindy Skyrim radiant system. Repeatable fetch/kill radiant quests will lead you to camps or caves. None will lead you to tombs and only tombs are of real use.
Said a few times in this thread, even if you've accepted one, ignore the stupid radiant schemes. These questgivers are marked black instead of yellow - you may see such black icon questgiver on the second pic in previous post by lostforever on the right side. If you can't ignore them, kill them - if you misclicked and accepted their stupid radiant "another settlement needs your attention" rubbish, upon their death the radiant garbage will instafail.

I believe it depends on your taste. While I had most fun by combining both modes, someone will want exploration mode all way long and someone will want handholding everywhere.
Note that totalhandholding ala Skyrim is impossible. Enigmata ostraka puzzles can be solved only by exploration, map clutter can't help you with those. Also, even maxed eagle can't detect deeply "burried" chests nor trashmobs hiding near those. Finally, even with mapclutter turned on you won't see point of interest exclamation marks in areas you didn't pass through at least once and even then those that were far away from the path(s) you took won't show on the map until you get close enough to "detect" them - no, it doesn't work as in Origins where eagle syncing reveals new POIs, sync in Odyssey only activates fasttravel points.

Last edited:
I play in exploration mode as the text indicated this was how the game was meant to be played ... and since I have never played another AC game I have nothing at all to compare with on how different it might be. Based on what @joxer; keeps writing I am almost 100% positive I would have hated the other games. Few things I hate more in games than QTE timing stuff.

ACO will never be on my top games. It is a game I will play then get rid of. A fun one-night stand versus a serious relationship so to speak. I do enjoy it but it simply isn't the style I can really sink in and play in depth of multiple times. I play a few hours each week for something different mainly.

You definetly wouldn't like older AC games. And would definetly hate AC:Unity. This is how the map looks in Unity and there is no exploration mode:
map-after.jpg

Compared to that abomination, the map in both Origins and Odyssey with all POIs displayed, is awsome.

About relationships in Odyssey, I'm unsure what's Ubi's plan with two expansions. The vanilla game doesn't contain any longterm "romance" (as I noted before, those that you think could be a real thing end up as "bait" and fail).
There is still a possibility longterm romance kicks in within expansions, too early to know.

About relationships in Odyssey, I'm unsure what's Ubi's plan with two expansions. The vanilla game doesn't contain any longterm "romance" (as I noted before, those that you think could be a real thing end up as "bait" and fail).
There is still a possibility longterm romance kicks in within expansions, too early to know.
Oh, that's sad. I hope someday there will be proper terms established for one-night-stands on the one hand and proper (developing) relationships on the other hand in video game context. Today both are called "romance".
While I don't care about the former, I like the latter if it's well implented.

Back
Top Bottom