Gothic 3 Gothic III Dark Mage suggestions???

TheEternalFlame

Traveler
Hello guys, so I am not not really a gamer (switched to Linux long ago, and the only games I played for years are Wesnoth and Megaglest). But after buying Gothic III Forsaken Gods in 2009, I got interested in the series. Last year I got the Gothic III game, and installed the CP 1.75.14 and stuff, played a while and REALLY enjoyed it. It's quite possibly the best game I've ever played.

Just yesterday, I downloaded some additional updates - the QuestPack 4.2 (with 1.75 compatibility patch) and the ContentMod 2.6, and the game is now looking better than ever (even on my rather old but trusted Dell N4010, with external display of course)! And now, I want to start playing afresh. Previously I played as an Innos-mage, and a warrior-hunter combo. But this time, I want to build a pure dark mage character, and side with the Orcs from the start.

But after installing the QuestPack and ContentMod, I see that many of the stats are now totally changed. For example, life potions, mana potions etc heal only around 25-30% now, but AK requirements for skills such as Fast Learning etc are lower. Overall I'm enjoying the change, but I believe I'll soon run out of mana potions (even after making them myself).

So, my query is this, how do I build the most effective dark mage (for Beliar) with these settings?

Oops, and I'm very sorry if I've posted it under the wrong category. Kindly pardon a complete noob. :') If a mod kindly moves it to the proper category, I'll be very thankful. :)

Hi there, welcome to the forums!

It's been quite a while since I played Gothic 3, especially as a mage dedicated to a specific deity. However, I do remember some things:

- To avoid the mana potion problem, I cleared the game "bed by bed" until I could get the skill "Mana Regeneration" (which is amazing, by the way). Clearing it "bed by bed" basically means locating a bed in any given region, and then clearing the area around it (do all the quests etc). I kept sprinting to and from the given bed. It's not as time consuming as you'd think, especially once you have a decent mana pool.
- Another trick is to get "Summon Skeleton" rather quickly and use it as a tank while you knock'em down. That will require you to do some melee though, but it shouldn't require you to put a lot of points into it. I seem to recall some of the staves actually being quite decent melee weapons (Blade Staff was one I think?), so you can even do it as a proper mage. Later on you can do the same thing with the Demon, which is an amazing tank.
- The basic Lightning spell that you can get right away from Beliar is more than good enough to act as the main damage spell through most of the game. It scales very well with Ancient Knowledge. Remember to charge it by holding down the button a little while longer.
- Don't try the main Orc missions just yet. Clearing the Rebel camps can be hard, and you'll need a boatload of mana potions or Mana Regeneration. I actually prefer waiting until I have most spells and magic skills, so I even tend to do parts of Varant before fully siding with the Orcs (or Rebels).

That's all I can remember right now. Feel free to ask if there's anything else you want to know. :)

Hi there, welcome to the forums!

It's been quite a while since I played Gothic 3, especially as a mage dedicated to a specific deity. However, I do remember some things:

- To avoid the mana potion problem, I cleared the game "bed by bed" until I could get the skill "Mana Regeneration" (which is amazing, by the way). Clearing it "bed by bed" basically means locating a bed in any given region, and then clearing the area around it (do all the quests etc). I kept sprinting to and from the given bed. It's not as time consuming as you'd think, especially once you have a decent mana pool.
- Another trick is to get "Summon Skeleton" rather quickly and use it as a tank while you knock'em down. That will require you to do some melee though, but it shouldn't require you to put a lot of points into it. I seem to recall some of the staves actually being quite decent melee weapons (Blade Staff was one I think?), so you can even do it as a proper mage. Later on you can do the same thing with the Demon, which is an amazing tank.
- The basic Lightning spell that you can get right away from Beliar is more than good enough to act as the main damage spell through most of the game. It scales very well with Ancient Knowledge. Remember to charge it by holding down the button a little while longer.
- Don't try the main Orc missions just yet. Clearing the Rebel camps can be hard, and you'll need a boatload of mana potions or Mana Regeneration. I actually prefer waiting until I have most spells and magic skills, so I even tend to do parts of Varant before fully siding with the Orcs (or Rebels).

That's all I can remember right now. Feel free to ask if there's anything else you want to know. :)
Wow! Excellent suggestions, Maylander, many thanks. :) I especially like your first point - I was resting a lot, but getting rather bored otherwise. But this trick sounds great, using the bed as a sort of origin in a the Cartesian system. :D

I already got the basic lightning, and it's quite nifty. I was rather worried, though, that I might have to step away from the normal flow of the story, and reach Varant early to get my Dark Mage training, to make my spells do double damage (to my knowledge, there aren't any dark mage trainers in Myrtana).

Once again, many thanks. :)

Back
Top Bottom