RPG Codex - GamesCom 2013 Report

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
RPGCodex has a new article about their visit to GamesCom 2013.

On July 18, the RPG Codex received an invitation from Limbic Entertainment on behalf of their publisher, Ubisoft. The invitation was for an all expenses paid trip to Gamescom, the gaming convention in Cologne, Germany, and specifically for the Might & Magic Fan Day that was to take place there. The Codex staff members, easily bribed, fought over who was to go. In the end, Grunker came out on top, with JarlFrank tagging along with him for the first day.

During their stay in Germany, they learned more about Might & Magic X, they shook hands with Brian Fargo and watched a gameplay demo of Wasteland 2, and they spoke with the guys from Logic Artists, with Michael Hoss of bitComposer and with Alexander Dergay of Aterdux Entertainment. Here's an article about how it all went down.
More information.

So, what I really want to know is if the Codex guys (in red imp cosplay suits) met up with Our folks at Gamescon and duked it out with rubber swords… ;)

Edit: this was interesting about Expeditions: Conquistador:
Logic Artists

We manage to slip out of the Might & Magic booth later that day for a short talk with Daniel Eskildsen, Ali Emek and Juan Ortega of Logic Artists, the developers of Expeditions: Conquistador. “So,” JarlFrank opens, “how did the aftermath of Conquistador turn out?” Daniel replies: “It did... well enough.” JarlFrank follows up with a question on whether there is any chance for another campaign in the form of an expansion pack or DLC. Daniel responds: ”It might happen... it's not only up to us, but we'll see.” I continue: “How about Kickstarter? You thinking of returning to that?” Daniel throws a gesture of uncertainty. “We don't know, to be honest. Kickstarter is hard, hard work. We're definitely not doing it for our next project. That's what we're here for. To see if we can make some deals on our next project.” Our interest rises at that comment, but is then somewhat diminished by Emek: “I'm not sure it is strictly a Codexian sort of project,” he says. “Well, what is it?”, I ask. Emek flashes us a wry smile. “Off the record?”, he asks.

The projects sounds really interesting. We're not breaching confidentiality by divulging that it's a hybrid, and, well, the Codex likes its hybrids at times.

It sounds like they were a bit underwhelmed by the sales for Conquistadors. That's a shame. I really liked what they did there and was hoping for more historical RPGs from them. Still good news that they are working on a new project, I hope they get the funding and I'm looking forward to hearing more about it in the future.

Last edited:
So, what I really want to know is if the Codex guys (in red imp cosplay suits) met up with Our folks at Gamescon and duked it out with rubber swords… ;)

Certainly not me, especially, since

- I wasn't invited
- didn't have access on Wednesday (that day is ONLY for trade visitors ! )
- didn't find any Imps (only 2 guys dressed in glowing red caped wich had "AMD" printed on them)

so no news from me.

And regarding Conquistadores : Maybe it would've sold better if it had been an fantasy-themed RPG ?

We'll post a long interview with Logic Artists. Will take another week though.

No, we didn't meet any Codex guys. But maybe we should put this on the agenda for next year !?

Codex talks a really nice game, but very few are anything but posers.

Perhaps I've seen them somewhere, but I don't know what they look like :)
We have been offered a paid trip as well, but as I was going anyway I declined that.
Should have taken it for someone else though as I left Gamescom early on Wednesday.

Would they pay from Australia? :)

Back
Top Bottom