Alpha Centauri

P

pibbur who

So they've found an exoplanet in the Alpha Centauri system. Although it's too hot for life as we know it, it's still very exciting to discover a planet a mere 43000000000000 kms from us. Where there's one, there may be more.

What a year 2012 has turned out to be scientifically. We found the Higgs (probably), we found Planet@Alpha Centauri. And we can make fun of a lot of people on December 22nd.

pibbur who as you all should will play Alpha Centauri tonight

Given our current understanding of planetary formation, the existence of this planet means that there is a very high likelihood that other rocky planets exist in the habital zone, though probably 'super earths.'

They say current technology would still take roughly 40k years to get a probe there, but there are technologies current theorized, but based on solid science, that could cut that to 50 years or so. Would be truly amazing if we could get that down to a decade or two and send something during our lifetime.

In theory at least we could get there in ~ 4 years I suppose. Too bad the crisisis has crippled the money for spacecraft research.

What I find funny is that this planet was found near Alpha Centauri indeed - after the game.

I find it funny that discovries like that re made AFTER humans had the idea - like with the so-called "Hobbits" that were discovered around the LOTR-mania phse. ;)

It's almot to me as if there was a connection, either through morphic fields, or - would would be so much esoteric that it's really hard to believe [it] - it's almost as if things come into being the more people believe that they must exist. It's almost as if the human brain - the combined force of millions of human brains - brought things into existence, or at least into "common knowledge" that these humans didn't know of before.

What I find funny is that this planet was found near Alpha Centauri indeed - after the game.

I find it funny that discovries like that re made AFTER humans had the idea - like with the so-called "Hobbits" that were discovered around the LOTR-mania phse. ;)

It's almot to me as if there was a connection, either through morphic fields, or - would would be so much esoteric that it's really hard to believe [it] - it's almost as if things come into being the more people believe that they must exist. It's almost as if the human brain - the combined force of millions of human brains - brought things into existence, or at least into "common knowledge" that these humans didn't know of before.

Wouldn't you consider the star system closest to earth the most likely place to look for planets, in fiction as well as in real life, when thinking about leaving our solar system? Nothing puzzling about that, and no strange connections, in my eyes.

pibbur who

Alrik, I feel like I'm trying to ridicule you in my latest responses to you. I apologize for that. It won't happen again (hopefully).

pibbur who can sometimes be arrogant according to his oldest daugher

One question were are the aliens then?:) If you played the games you should know what I'm talking about.

The first planet we visit will be mars everyone knows that. Unfortunately it's a one way trip.

One question were are the aliens then?:) If you played the games you should know what I'm talking about.
Under crossfier?

The first planet we visit will be mars everyone knows that. Unfortunately it's a one way trip.

I'm not sure I (actually I'm certain I don't) understand you, here. We're planning to return the astronauts we're sending there to earth. But that was perhaps not what you were talking about?

pibbur who is troubled because moving to Mars on't solve the Sun-becoming-a-red-giant problem in 5 billion years or so.

In the latest X-Com, they have a quote saying there are two possibilities:

That we are alone in the universe or that we're not.

Both are supposed to be equally terrifying.

The thing is, though, that I only think the first one is terrifying. I'd be ecstatic to learn we're not alone - and I'm more than willing to risk contact.

I'm the sole reason we haven't been contacted these past 35 years ;)

And the reason DK hasn't been invaded for more than 60 years, obviously.

pibbur who ponders if the musketeer would qualify for the Nobel peace prize.

If thoughts and words counted more than actions - then I should have won several ;)

I'd be ecstatic to learn we're not alone - and I'm more than willing to risk contact.

While I love the idea that we are not alone, I'd much prefer that question remain unanswered until we are advanced enough to defends ourselves from an extra-terrestrial threat. If we did find proof of other civilizations, they likely will be much more advanced than us, and in our history, the less advanced civilization almost always gets treated pretty badly.

The more advanced the species, the less likely they will be to treat us badly.

At least, that's my firm belief.

I'm not surprised that a lot of people wouldn't believe that, however.

The more advanced the species, the less likely they will be to treat us badly.

At least, that's my firm belief.

I'm not surprised that a lot of people wouldn't believe that, however.

I sincerely hope you're right, but until we have proven otherwise, I'd prefer we are left alone!

I tend to rather fear for the aliens we may encounter than the other way round. We haven't even been able to make peace among ourselves yet.
Still, learning of proof of extraterrestrial life in my lifetime is high on my personal wishlist of "things-I-have-no-influence-on".

I'm not sure I (actually I'm certain I don't) understand you, here. We're planning to return the astronauts we're sending there to earth. But that was perhaps not what you were talking about?

pibbur who is troubled because moving to Mars on't solve the Sun-becoming-a-red-giant problem in 5 billion years or so.

NASA is working on getting a ship there. The problem is there is only fuel for a one way trip so the ones sent would have to build a habitat while supplies are sent. That's the current problem.

It would take 10 years from earth also just to gret there. The trip would be with volunteers with nothing to lose. The goal is 25-30 years from now. I have a feeling it will be longer as NASA's funding was revoked and slashed.

Last edited:
NASA is working on getting a ship there. The problem is there is only fuel for a one way trip so the ones sent would have to build a habitat while supplies are sent. That's the current problem.

It would take 10 years from earth also just to gret there. The trip would be with volunteers with nothing to lose. The goal is 25-30 years from now. I have a feeling it will be longer as NASA's funding was revoked and slashed.

From where do you have that information? A typical roundtrip to mars and back (using optimal launch windows) is estimated to 400-450 days + the time spent at the surface.

Carrying enough fuel will be a problem. One proposed solution is sending a return vehicle on a low consumption orbit before the manned expedition is launched.

pibbur

Back
Top Bottom