What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread

Man, try to kill someone with your bare hands for the first time. :)

Exactly, the physicist is an amateur at that. But the state security agent is not. He should have easily plowed into him, and subdued him.

Mr. Robot is an unbearable junk. I did accept the torture during it's first season because the lead actor does the extraordinary performance, but didn't return to it. :)

I saw the first two seasons two times already, and they're fantastic. I did not see any drop off in quality. And I hear universal praise at the way they finished season 4, the final one. That's why I'm so excited to see it.

It's among the few pieces of media to portray mental disturbance, social anxiety and depression properly.

You do realize that I have a specific nonmainstream taste where universal praise just makes me more determined to never watch something (example: Titanic). :)
Unless I've already did. I mean, sadly, I did watch the worthless style over substance Midsommar. Can't get my 2 hours of life wasted back.

You do realize that I have a specific nonmainstream taste where universal praise just makes me more determined to never watch something (example: Titanic). :)
Unless I've already did. I mean, sadly, I did watch the first Transformers movie. Can't unsee it sadly.

I'm of the opinion that mainstream universal acceptance, isn't necesarily bad all the time. Yes, most of the time it brings up average movies and celebrates them. But there are exceptions, of course.

But with regards to Mr. Robot it was already such a niche series. Not a lot of people even watch it throgh the first season. So most average viewers are weeded out in the initial run. So i think the people that actually got the final season want something in particular, which they seem to have received. From the universal praise I heard. So yeah, mostly universal praise from a very narrow audience can be a very good thing actually.

And about Michael Bays' Transformers, I actually loved the first movie. The others are shit, of course. But the first one was one hell of a rollercoaster ride. It came out of the blue, and CGI was magnificient. That's all it was. A so-so plot with so-so actors, but one amazing CGI rollercoaster. The robot fights were fantastic in my opinion.

Hachi: A Dog's Tail - according to IMDb this is the 212th best film ever, not sure who has ranked it so highly but it was an OK watch. Got a bit of dust or something in my eye towards the end.
Follow up with Grave of the Fireflies to get rid of the dust.

Hachi: A Dog's Tail - according to IMDb this is the 212th best film ever, not sure who has ranked it so highly…
All those who didn't watch At the End of the Tunnel.

My bet is that even if you know someone who did, they never told you that there is a dog in the movie with an absolutely amazing story about the relationship with the owner. The dog's love presented there, and the love for the dog, I have not seen anywhere else.

Critics missed to write anything about it, imdb users missed to write anything about it so my bet is that everyone else would too. Everyone except the mainstream hater - me.

Sadly for decades in worldwide cinema everyone is making only yucky vomiturging quickbuck dramas about pets as if it's not possible to film anything else and show the actual expression of love without pulling up melodrama. Somehow however, a movie that namely is not about pets at all, shows it is possible to have probably the strongest ever presentation of it.

Well now you know, if dogs are your thing, do watch this movie please. When you finish, tell me it's not better than any other movie with a faithful dog. Or prove me right.

Follow up with Grave of the Fireflies to get rid of the dust.
Best cats movie? I say go for Cat's Eye.

Last edited:
So last night to celebrate the 40th anniversary of its’ release (and also 40 years since I first saw it) .. we watched “Star Wars: Empire Strikes Back”

Gorgeous and really well shot, plotted, paced, acted and put together ... it astounds me not how much I love these films, but how they are acknowledged as masterpieces in the history of cinema. When I was a kid I looked at the stuff I liked - Star Wars, Good, Bad & Ugly, etc. - as not ‘art’ but just fun fantasy. Now these are revered pieces of art that are studied globally.

Haven't really watched much since the move, and movie theaters are still closed.:(

I enjoyed 1917. I'd say it's slightly overrated, but only slightly. I think it had many excellent elements that didn't quite become more than the sum of their parts. Great cinematography.

For some reason, it made me think about the Alien films. It's a series I always want more of, but at the same time I think it's difficult now we've been on the ghost train. I wondered if taking the same approach - following a hapless hero through an unbroken realtime shot - could be a really effective new approach for a proper Alien movie.

Alien movies are sci-fi without forced nonexisting political correctness during WW1.
If there is something that 1917 should remind you on that's Hellsing Ultimate. Another overrated style over substance whatnot. :p

I enjoyed 1917. I'd say it's slightly overrated, but only slightly. I think it had many excellent elements that didn't quite become more than the sum of their parts. Great cinematography.

For some reason, it made me think about the Alien films. It's a series I always want more of, but at the same time I think it's difficult now we've been on the ghost train. I wondered if taking the same approach - following a hapless hero through an unbroken realtime shot - could be a really effective new approach for a proper Alien movie.
So you want a similar movie as the first Predator with Arnold then?

It's basically the same idea but not as fast paced as 1917.
Dutch (Arnold Schwarzenegger), a soldier of fortune, is hired by the U.S. government to secretly rescue a group of politicians trapped in Guatemala. But when Dutch and his team, which includes weapons expert Blain (Jesse Ventura) and CIA agent George (Carl Weathers), land in Central America, something is gravely wrong. After finding a string of dead bodies, the crew discovers they are being hunted by a brutal creature with superhuman strength and the ability to disappear into its surroundings.

Yeah, I'm very much in the camp that thinks it's not all about nostalgia - I'd say that some of those films of that era really nailed it, and were just really good examples of their kind.

I kind of think that certain genres thrived in certain decades, and the 80s/early 90s were the era of the action-adventure movie.

I'm quite sure Ripper has seen one of the most epic films humankind has ever produced. :biggrin:

ps. just watching this clip almost forced me to grab predator dvd from the shelf. It is that good.

I'm quite sure Ripper has seen one of the most epic films humankind has ever produced. :biggrin:

ps. just watching this clip almost forced me to grab predator dvd from the shelf. It is that good.

Lol. We went through a phase of greeting each other with, "Dillon! You son of a bitch!"

And also, for some reason, this phrase from Robocop, : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJ4OvwPxBZ0

To bad Predator 2 was not that great. Even Danny Glover whom I love from Lethal weapon could save that movie. Seems the franchise has lost it way over the years.:(
I kind of think that certain genres thrived in certain decades, and the 80s/early 90s were the era of the action-adventure movie.
Definitely agree Ripper as that era brought a lot of good cheesy action movies. Unfortunately they don't sell as well as they used to, and are VOD releases.

Whats terrible is nowadays there aren't many replacements for those aging action stars. Thank heavens for the Rock and Jason Statham at least they keep the genre alive.

Last edited:
Mr Robot is one of the best series ever.

I concur that the 4th season is the best one. It's full of nail-biting tension and heart-breaking drama. Payoff after payoff, after 3 seasons of build-up. Stellar acting from everyone and truly visionary direction and writing. Sam Esmail did all the episodes. Nobody has ever done anything like the season 4 of Mr. Robot.

Also the ending has so much intellectual and emotional weight that I had tears of sadness and joy in my eyes.

Many people struggle particularly with the first half of Season 2. If you manage to end Season 2, it will be a great trip from then on. At that point the show starts running with full steam, with ever-increasing personal and worldwide stakes.

This is not to say that you have to suffer through 2 seasons of boredom to get to the good stuff. I liked the show from episode 1. But it's a more uneven ride until then, with occasional frustration to how things are progressing. Personally I skipped the sitcom episode from S2 entirely as I found it so annoying (Many people adore it). But that kind of self-aware weirdness never gets so bad after S2.

Last edited:
I don't actually remember what happened at the end, but I don't think it will matter as you continue with S3.

I liked S2 a lot and there are great episodes, but I think some people get frustrated as the main storyline doesn't move forward much in some episodes. It's more about Elliot's internal life, than external conflict that would progress the story. It's been a while since I watched S2, thought. But I know that's where many people give up.

I don't actually remember what happened at the end, but I don't think it will matter as you continue with S3.

I liked S2 a lot and there are great episodes, but I think some people get frustrated as the main storyline doesn't move forward much in some episodes. It's more about Elliot's internal life, than external conflict that would progress the story. It's been a while since I watched S2, thought. But I know that's where many people give up.

Yeah, S2 is mostly the internal struggles of Elliot. But I personally found that refreshing. I like that sort of character exploration.

Back
Top Bottom