Skyrim Skyrim Special Edition

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
The physics issue was vastly improved too. A lot people love to blame Bethesda for not fixing bugs in the game, but don't understand the structure of the problems (Bethesda was maybe too ambitious, but they didn't ignore the issues, they optimized as best possible for such a complex AI system). One of the major issues of vanilla Skyrim, was everything they were trying to do within a limited 32-bit environment (not to mention they had further limitations within those limitations, especially since they needed to optimize the game on previous generation consoles). In other words, there was so much stuff happening in the game, that if TOO much stuff overwhelmed the hardware and software limitations, stuff would get weird and buggy. The move to 64-bit got rid of that limitation. This video does a much better job of explaining the major improvements and bug fixes in Special Edition:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6EjcESYIXk

Thanks for the video but it doesn't have anything in it about the physics issue. Do a quick search, reviews and players say it's still there.

It has to due with Bethesda wanting to lock at 60 fps, so when you greatly exceed that you have physics issues. For instance If I don't limit my fps to 59 I can't get through the opening cutscenes, the cart spins out of control and gets caught in trees or flips over.
This isn't something that will be fixed by moving to 64 bit.

It's an easy fix though and the only major bug I encountered.

Skyrim is one of my all time favorite non turn-based games. The active combat doesn't *flat out annoy* me like The Witcher 3's did. It's just pure Bethesda sandbox glitchiness, love that or hate it.

I'm having fun in a new Skyrim play-through and ignoring several other games, myself. :)

High, high up in the mountains of the southwestern
Thanks for the video but it doesn't have anything in it about the physics issue. Do a quick search, reviews and players say it's still there.

It has to due with Bethesda wanting to lock at 60 fps, so when you greatly exceed that you have physics issues. For instance If I don't limit my fps to 59 I can't get through the opening cutscenes, the cart spins out of control and gets caught in trees or flips over.
This isn't something that will be fixed by moving to 64 bit.

It's an easy fix though and the only major bug I encountered.

As far as I know, the decision to tie physics to framerate is pretty fundamental to the engine. Essentially, when you simulate physics, you need a way to keep the graphics and physics synchronous. Tying the physics to the FPS is an easy and reliable way to do it. It's more challenging for devs to keep things in sync using a more flexible method. So, it's not a bug, but a design choice, and I think it would be quite a major job to fix it.

As far as I know, the decision to tie physics to framerate is pretty fundamental to the engine. Essentially, when you simulate physics, you need a way to keep the graphics and physics synchronous. Tying the physics to the FPS is an easy and reliable way to do it. It's more challenging for devs to keep things in sync using a more flexible method. So, it's not a bug, but a design choice, and I think it would be quite a major job to fix it.

Sounds reasonable, but I've played a lot of games with physics and None of them have this issue.

Bethesda can't be the only one using this design choice? Not complaining, just curious.

Sounds reasonable, but I've played a lot of games with physics and None of them have this issue.

Bethesda can't be the only one using this design choice? Not complaining, just curious.

There's lots of possibilities as to the cause of the problem. What I suspect it boils down to is that Beth has based their systems on a 60fps assumption for the purposes of timing, and several elements of the engine derive from that. That covers the consoles, and the large majority of PC gamers, too. Beyond that, they probably didn't do much testing, and those affected by the strange behaviors only apparent on the framerates of high-end PCs probably aren't of much concern to them.

We don't have enough information to be sure, but my guess is that this is a problem deep in the plumbing of the engine, and the cost of fixing it for the high end players just doesn't make sense to them.

PCGamer made an article with the best mods for Skyrim Special Edition. However, they remark:

"Until SkyUI and the Skyrim Script Extender are updated to support the Special Edition, a lot of our favorite mods currently don't have full functionality, so we'll be revisiting and updating this list in the future."

Hey Brumbek, guess what??? :)

I'll play the SE once a lot more mods get made/ported for it. A new playthrough with Requiem, Morrowloot, etc., would be neat. ��

I'm playing it right now. No mods, just the plain thing. It's still a very good game, and I'm having a good time. The bugs/glitches are still there though, as is the horrible pathfinding of certain NPCs, but that's only a dent in what is otherwise a very good experience.

Back
Top Bottom