Sound Card very close to GPU ?

Pladio

Guardian of Nonsense
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Hello all,

Thank you to everyone who helped me pick my build.
I managed to build the computer today and although there was a bit of a scare where the screen didn't work with it, it now works perfectly.

There is only one part I did not end up installing which is the sound card.

There doesn't seem to really be enough space to install it on the motherboard without it congesting the board as the only space it can fit seem to be the PCIE slot near the GPU.

The card has a short end to put in and I am not sure if I can put it in one of the full-sized PCIE slots ?
Does anyone know what I am trying to say and whether putting the sound card close to the GPU's fans would be a problem for heat ?

I have seen cases where a card could block the fans on a GPU. If there's a bigger PCIe slot further away, the sound card should be quite happy in there.

More important is whether the sound card is above or below the GPU - likely below, so it shouldn't be as big an issue. The sound card won't put out much heat at all, so the fans will get air and hot air will have no problem radiating above and/or being blown outward.

You can put it in a full size pcie slot; it will only use the channels where the pins match up but otherwise work fine.

Hello all,

Thank you to everyone who helped me pick my build.
I managed to build the computer today and although there was a bit of a scare where the screen didn't work with it, it now works perfectly.

There is only one part I did not end up installing which is the sound card.

There doesn't seem to really be enough space to install it on the motherboard without it congesting the board as the only space it can fit seem to be the PCIE slot near the GPU.

The card has a short end to put in and I am not sure if I can put it in one of the full-sized PCIE slots ?
Does anyone know what I am trying to say and whether putting the sound card close to the GPU's fans would be a problem for heat ?

Fwiw, I've had my GPU and sound card very close to each other in almost every system I've ever built. I've never encountered any issues because of it.

Back
Top Bottom