I want to buy a VR headset

Awesome, that's just what I wanted to hear. I will make room to stand if I have to (I'll try that way out too) but I'd prefer seated use. Also, what's with foot pedals? Can you link me to those and explain how they would add to the experience?

Edit - I found the VR Rudder thing on Amazon for $100. So do you turn left and right with your feet, then, as well as walk and run? That sounds like a must-have if so.

Yup, that's the pedal thingie. There was also another type that was in development, but I don't know if that's been released. Apparently some people find having body movement controlled by the feet is more acceptable to their brain and its sense of balance and motion - some find that having the illusion of bodily movement controlled by Joxer's mushrooms does not agree with them. As I understand it, the controls work a bit like a hoverboard, so you tilt and swivel it with the feet to control turning, strafing, and locomotion. It has to be used seated, though, as it doesn't take your weight.

Yup, that's the pedal thingie. There was also another type that was in development, but I don't know if that's been released. Apparently some people find having body movement controlled by the feet is more acceptable to their brain and its sense of balance and motion - some find that having the illusion of bodily movement controlled by Joxer's mushrooms does not agree with them. As I understand it, the controls work a bit like a hoverboard, so you tilt and swivel it with the feet to control turning, strafing, and locomotion. It has to be used seated, though, as it doesn't take your weight.

Sounds perfect, thanks for the info. I'll grab that thing too, and be all geared up for my VR tour of Skyrim. :lol:

I'm sure you'll have some fun, and I hope you find it worth the outlay. The initial impression of being in a virtual world is pretty extraordinary, and the sense of scale in Skyrim is quite a revelation - big structures seem to tower above you.

We also had great fun with it last Christmas, particularly allowing some of the more senior relatives to explore with the whales and giant squids in the undersea demo. Minds blown! :biggrin:

I'm sure you'll have some fun, and I hope you find it worth the outlay. The initial impression of being in a virtual world is pretty extraordinary, and the sense of scale in Skyrim is quite a revelation - big structures seem to tower above you.

We also had great fun with it last Christmas, particularly allowing some of the more senior relatives to explore with the whales and giant squids in the undersea demo. Minds blown! :biggrin:

Yeah I can't wait to share it with mom, lol. Do you have any other recommendations for VR games? I'd want to play Skyrim VR for sure, but is there anything else that is really worthwhile?

The other proper games that really make it worthwhile are space sims and driving sims. I've played a fair bit of Elite: Dangerous and Project CARS 2. Although, I'd recommend learning to fly in Elite on a monitor. My first go with it was in VR, and I lost control, went into a spin, and ploughed into the space station. I had to go for a little lie down. :p

There's loads of demos and simple games that are impressive and fun, but really just a novelty. You'll spend ages trying them out, and most of them are worth a look. Robo Recall is a pretty fun one, a bit like a VR arcade game blasting and pulling robots' arms off.

The other proper games that really make it worthwhile are space sims and driving sims. I've played a fair bit of Elite: Dangerous and Project CARS 2. Although, I'd recommend learning to fly in Elite on a monitor. My first go with it was in VR, and I lost control, went into a spin, and ploughed into the space station. I had to go for a little lie down. :p

There's loads of demos and simple games that are impressive and fun, but really just a novelty. You'll spend ages trying them out, and most of them are worth a look. Robo Recall is a pretty fun one, a bit like a VR arcade game blasting and pulling robots' arms off.

Didn't know Elite: Dangerous was in VR. Wow! That is another must-buy then. I'll try to learn it first so I don't repeat your mistake there. :lol:

I think the perfect game for current VR, that would work incredibly well and not suffer much from the current VR limitations, would be a mech simulator. As in Elite, being in a cockpit is perhaps the most convincing situation, as in the simulation you're also sitting down and piloting with the controls in your hands - there's almost nothing immersion-breaking, as the game almost exactly matches what you're physically doing. The brilliance of VR in that situation, is that you can lean over and look out the window at your wing, or look all around you to see where the enemy is coming from. You really feel you're there, and there's nothing like it.

Even if VR becomes a niche (and I suspect it might), with those as the main types of games that support it, I'd still find it worthwhile. The bummer for now is just the low resolution. When we can run headsets with 8K and above, it will be amazing.

I think the perfect game for current VR, that would work incredibly well and not suffer much from the current VR limitations, would be a mech simulator. As in Elite, being in a cockpit is perhaps the most convincing situation, as in the simulation you're also sitting down and piloting with the controls in your hands - there's almost nothing immersion-breaking, as the game almost exactly matches what you're physically doing. The brilliance of VR in that situation, is that you can lean over and look out the window at your wing, or look all around you to see where the enemy is coming from. You really feel you're there, and there's nothing like it.

Even if VR becomes a niche (and I suspect it might), with those as the main types of games that support it, I'd still find it worthwhile. The bummer for now is just the low resolution. When we can run headsets with 8K and above, it will be amazing.

Is there a lot of fighting in Elite? Because I'd really like to do peaceful trading missions or just fly and explore the galaxy. The fighting seems a bit much, but is there a way to avoid most of it?

Yeah, in Elite you're free to go about your business as you see fit, and avoid combat most of the time. Many of the missions you can pick up are non-violent (in some cases, only if you get away with what you're up to.) There'll definitely be some combat if you follow the sort-of main questline.

Yeah, in Elite you're free to go about your business as you see fit, and avoid combat most of the time. Many of the missions you can pick up are non-violent (in some cases, only if you get away with what you're up to.) There'll definitely be some combat if you follow the sort-of main questline.

Cool, sounds good then. I'd like to just pilot around and explore and do a few quests here or there. All is set then, just gotta get the headset + foot pedals and the 2 games. Wish me luck. :)

The stuff is coming soon and I'm so excited it's unbelievable, lol. I can't wait to check out Skyrim and Elite: Dangerous in VR, as well as a few other ones like Ocean Rift and Nature Treks VR. Also want to pick up Fallout 4 VR and possibly some other good games that are out now that have VR support. GTA V in VR would be crazy!

Wish you many headaches and Joy Fluent. :thumbsup:

As for me I'm not sold on VR tech yet.

Let me know when the first holo-deck is built.:lonely:

Holodeck.jpg
Z

Back
Top Bottom