This week in computer security

Java has just received a hefty amount of security updates. I recommend you upgrade promptly if its installed on your computer. Its actively being targeted in relation to defrauding users of online banking services.

Link: Java JRE 6 Update 24

No upgrade this time but a small tip in regard to wireless. Always make sure bookmarks to your email service, banking, etc. begin with https://www.name.com/ which enables a secure connection to the site you're communication with. If you're using a public wireless network, it's very easy for people to eavesdrop on the wireless traffic and log all your username and passwords. Https avoids this problem by establishing an encrypted connection to the site your visiting before sending any data. If you're not visiting Iran that is.

Gawd, I'm about to disable flash... what is up with all these extremely nasty exploits ?!?!

Replacementdocs seems to have a huge problem.

I was at the site ca. 5 minutes ago, and out of nowhere Foxit Reader (my replacement for Acrobat Reader) popped up an error message saying : "Not a PDF or corrupted."

Seemingly someone wants to exploit a security issue in Acrobat Reader from there ...

Interestingly, I got the Foxit Reader error message pop up even AFTER I had closed the Firefox tab of the "Replacement Docs" site !

The message has arrived there, too : Before closing the Firefox tab of that site, I saw a message about "eplacentdocs" being marked as an infected site somewhere ...

I was at the site ca. 5 minutes ago, and out of nowhere Foxit Reader (my replacement for Acrobat Reader) popped up an error message saying : "Not a PDF or corrupted."
Yeah, you should turn off all unneeded plugins that embeds in webpage under Firefox -> Addons -> Plugins. In Internet Explorer it's Control Panel -> Internet Options -> Programs -> Manage Addons -> Toolbars & Extensions (notice how much further you must dig :)). I personally use SumatraPDF which is very lightweight.

Back
Top Bottom