Nextgen CPUs

You got that right. Expensive as dope and apart from short euphoria provides nothing that justifies it's price.

I can understand that. What is the best buy for you then? I mean right now

I'd be concerned about buying used CPUs that the previous owner might have OCed the fuck out of and its internal components are starting to turn into mush. I always buy new, but then again, I can easily afford it so…

I never even had the idea to buy used components.
Games, yes, sometimes, but hardware ???

I buy a new Intel-based pc about every 18-24 months, just because. I swap manufacturers all the time. (Ibuypower, Dell, Gateway, Asus, HP). I think I have an i7-7700k box, but I'm not positive. I posted it here somewhere, but I'm lazy :D Ryzen will have to prove stability for years before I'll move to it.

crpgnut, you seem to like wasting money. I guess you won the lottery. :p

I can understand that. What is the best buy for you then? I mean right now

Didn't notice this question. Sorry. IMO currently the best buy is Ryzen R5 1600.
It's not the budget CPU however! If you're short with $, stick with Intel's Pentium G4560. Just don't expect miracles.

I'm curious why you buy new systems so frequently ? My server (2500k) is approx 7 years old - and motherboard/cpu is scheduled to be upgraded in 18 months (unless it fails for some reason sooner); and my gaming machine was upgraded from 2500k about 8 months ago so it lasted more or less 6 years. I do upgrade gpu as needed every couple of years (though it is possible the current one might last more than 2 years).

I buy a new Intel-based pc about every 18-24 months, just because. I swap manufacturers all the time. (Ibuypower, Dell, Gateway, Asus, HP). I think I have an i7-7700k box, but I'm not positive. I posted it here somewhere, but I'm lazy :D Ryzen will have to prove stability for years before I'll move to it.

I never even had the idea to buy used components.
Games, yes, sometimes, but hardware ???
Games dont require decent CPU anymore so any old CPU will do just fine as long as its i5/i7. My almost ten year old i7 can still run newest games just fine as long as GPU is good. GPU is the only thing that matters anymore.

You can see the same in consoles. PS4 CPU is pitiful, meant for light internet browsing mainly. The only thing that has any muscle in PS4 is the GPU. It has lots of memory too but thats cheap nowadays (and old memory will work just fine too).

If you buy old hardware you can save lots money. Money that is better spent on the best GPU on the market.

I'm curious why you buy new systems so frequently ? My server (2500k)
Me? No. I don't. If there is no reason to upgrade, and in my case there still isn't, I won't go for it. That doesn't mean I'm not interested in what's going on at the market.

i5 2500K is still fine for gaming, unless it farts I can't suggest going for a new CPU.

Games dont require decent CPU anymore so any old CPU will do just fine as long as its i5/i7. My almost ten year old i7 can still run newest games just fine as long as GPU is good. GPU is the only thing that matters anymore.
This is partionally true.
I've posted in "currently playing" thread that I'm on Agents of Mayhem. It requires 8Gb RAM and some people protested - I'm not sure why are people still playing games with 4Gb RAM machines, adding 4 more is cheap. Perhaps they're on some hard_to_upgrade laptop? I can't suggest upping the size to 16Gb for games as there is no game out there that needs so much of it.
Other than that, besides strong GPU and quadcore CPU (or the cheap Pentium I mentioned above capable of hyperthreading) there is another thing that matters today:
SSD.
Buy it. Even if you can't afford it, buy it. Rob someone if necessary. If not, well, prepare a pack of cigarettes to have fun with during loadscreens.

You can see the same in consoles.
We can't actually, everything inside consoles is outdated for ages and the only thing that saves that garbage is fixation on code optimization, a development process that for whatever reason lacks on PC. Consoles still use old SATA port for example making adding SSD inside them a waste of $.

Last edited:
Everyone and their mother, because diamonds are women's best friend, are researching a possibility to switch from silicon to carbon. Less power needed, no overheating, not touchy to chemical extremes, etc.
While today's CPUs run a few GHz, you don't need to know that already existing experimental diamond transistor is capable of 81 Ghz and Nippon Telegraph and Telefone Corp. projects it could reach 200 Ghz. O_O
The only problem is the technology how to create these diamonds - smaller!
Please, the message above ment for Intel, someone pass to this japanese company. With an additional note that they should think PC, not consoles.
Available Ryzen CPUs are overkill only for MMOs and ports from phones. Sure, you don't have to go for 6core R5 but it's the best current option IMO if you had to upgrade today. An option that'll last you for many years that come. Unless someone suddenly reveals a diamond based CPU, but I don't see it happening in near future.
Seems the future is closer than I thought, more names are now in the game, more are researching diamond based CPUs:
https://www.pcgamesn.com/mit-ai-silicon-diamond-semiconductor-straining-research-performance
Forget overclocking, an MIT AI is bending diamonds to make our CPUs faster
Flexing a semiconductor can actually improve its performance, and researchers at MIT, and in Russia and Singapore, are letting AI run wild on their chips to figure out the perfect blend of bend. But it’s not just silicon chips the team see one day benefiting from the research – diamond’s unique properties also make it a good candidate for the flexy chips of the future.
Just can't wait the day there is a superstrong diamond CPU inside our PC while phones still run silly Snapdragon and consoles swear on pathetic Jaguar.

There is other technology that is closer to release that will vastly improve cpu perf. I still remember ibm prototype for 3d crystal for storage - of course many years later it still hasn't produce a product but as a prototype it was pretty neat.

The new upcoming Ryzen CPUs are looking pretty hawt. Their 16 core / 32 thread CPU is especially exciting (even beating out their threadripper) for those looking for "inexpensive" workstations:

2019-05-23.jpg

This will probably hit Intel quite hard. Their security and manufacturing issues couldn't have come at a worse time. Disable Hyperthreading? Cmon.

I'd say not really at least not longterm. ;)

Intel's server roadmap leaked, and the masterplan is PCIe5.0 and DDR5 support - only two years from now:
https://www.tomshardware.co.uk/inte...roadmap-leaked-granite-rapids,news-60713.html

Of course such seemingly drastic pushes in technology are logical, according to other sources Ryzen 3K+ series will support PCIe4.0 and DDR4-3200 by default:
https://www.tomshardware.co.uk/ryzen-3000-series-matisse-zen-2-ddr4-3200-ddr4-4400,news-60728.html
https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/ryzen-3000-zen-2-cpus-get-jedec-3200-mhz-specification.html

God bless competition.

Gigabyte already pushed BIOS updates on some of their existing boards to support PCIe4.0. DDR4-3200 makes sense. Most Ryzen boards have been supporting pushed RAM speeds at 3000+ now for months with no instability issues of the previous year.

For Intel I don't think the issue will be their hardware (as long as they take their vulnerabilities seriously), but the perception of them. That takes a long time to heal. AMD knows too much about this. I look at the used market now and people are going for the $200 GTX 1060 cards, instead of the $120 RX 570 cards. And none of these people have g-sync monitors (or monitors over 1080p for that matter).

I'm just happy Xeons are going for cheap these days. $30 US to upgrade my home server to 8c/16t? Yes please. 64gb of ECC DDR3 for free by going through the electronics recycle bin at work? Sold!

This will probably hit Intel quite hard. Their security and manufacturing issues couldn't have come at a worse time. Disable Hyperthreading? Cmon.
I suspect AMD has the same sorts of problems. Steam is saying less than 20% of users have AMD CPUs. There's not much point in figuring out sophisticated hacks for such rarely used CPUs.

If AMD makes a big comeback, though, that will change. Hopefully AMD will get ahead of the problems and deal with them in their newer CPUs but that's unlikely to help folks buying them now.

Hard to tell. Most of intel flaws are really a pretty big deal. It basically means their architecture cheats by exposing data across processes. I'm not sure it is a given AMD has the same set of issues as their designs are totally different.

I suspect AMD has the same sorts of problems. Steam is saying less than 20% of users have AMD CPUs. There's not much point in figuring out sophisticated hacks for such rarely used CPUs.

If AMD makes a big comeback, though, that will change. Hopefully AMD will get ahead of the problems and deal with them in their newer CPUs but that's unlikely to help folks buying them now.

MDS vulnerabilities don't affect any new AMD CPUs. Meltdown doesn't affect any AMD CPUs on Windows machines. For Spectre, security software mitigation has a much bigger performance impact on Intel CPUs over AMD, depending what you're doing.

We will confirm how the new Ryzen CPUs are doing in the next few weeks, but early leaks are already showing their upcoming cheapest ($99) budget CPU can compete with their current 2700x flagship CPU. It's a good time to be in the market again.

My biggest problem with AMD cpu are the motherboards. Esp the ones for the low end (ryzen) cpu.... intel has great chipsets for their motherboards.

My biggest problem with AMD cpu are the motherboards. Esp the ones for the low end (ryzen) cpu…. intel has great chipsets for their motherboards.

I'm not worried about AMDs chipsets, but more what the board manufacturers have been doing with them. MSI and Asus have really been slacking with quality BIOS updates, while Gigabyte and ASRock have been much better, when more often than not, it's the other way around. Also, the VRM designs on most of the boards have been "meh". Once they finally got some decent updates out, and no more RAM stability issues, XFR2 and Precision Boost 2 have been excellent.

Sadly I need a board with a bit more pizza than most game boards. Won't go into details around my requirements other than to say asrock has a nice board for intel but no one seems to be offering the right feature set for amd yet.

I'm not worried about AMDs chipsets, but more what the board manufacturers have been doing with them. MSI and Asus have really been slacking with quality BIOS updates, while Gigabyte and ASRock have been much better, when more often than not, it's the other way around. Also, the VRM designs on most of the boards have been "meh". Once they finally got some decent updates out, and no more RAM stability issues, XFR2 and Precision Boost 2 have been excellent.

Back
Top Bottom