Nextgen CPUs

I have a hard time getting excited about any CPU release since just about any CPU from the last 10 years paired with a good graphics card will be sufficient.

My brother has an i920 with a 1070 and can run pretty much everything at 1080/60 all day long.

For gaming perhaps. Believe it or not though, there are actually people out there that use their computers for other things. ;)

For gaming perhaps. Believe it or not though, there are actually people out there that use their computers for other things. ;)
Yea, they buy i7 because it's a necessity for Facebook.

Streaming is the new Zyngalike plague. The whole thing got so decadent that some n00bs come on my side in LoL matches trying to replicate what they saw on streams - and they utterly fail because they don't understand basics nor why something worked in one of thousands different scenarios.
It needs to stop, games are supposed to be played, not watched.

I don't know what exactly is needed for streaming as I'm not into it, however shadowwhatnot on nVidia cards doesn't put any noticeable pressure on CPU and handbrake on my i5 converts anything to h264 in no time - thus I believe streaming is not i7 excuse. Except maybe for streamers that want to stream DX:MD in 4K with everything set on ultra - the thing is even they'd have performance problem that is related to the game iteslf not streaming.

Graphical job is a job. You're working, not playing games.

Anyway, if the next thing is true, it's so far the best news in 2017:
http://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-lineup-pricing-confirmed-8-cores-low-320/

… AMD is launching an 8 core, 16 thread CPU with a boost clock of 3.7Ghz and a TDP of 65 watts. That’s less than half the TDP of Intel’s 140W 8 core 16 thread i7 6900K, which features the same 3.7Ghz boost clock speed.

As if thosse figures aren’t mind boggling enough, this chip is listed at less than $320. Which comes in at one fourth the cost of its Intel rival, which regularly retails for over $1100. To put the enormity of this into perspective, you would practically be able build an entire high-end gaming machine around the Ryzen 1700 for the same money that would cost you just to get an i7 6900K chip on its own.
O_O

No I don't need to upgrade my CPU. I also have enough clothes and don't need to buy new N7 tactical hoody, but…

hoody-me-n7logotactical-dk.jpg

I love the performance of this actually useable "horse armor", I just want it. And I'll buy it. And if the price of new AMD CPUs are true I'll just have to own one!

Yes I buy all those damned N7 physical clothes and yes the percentage will go to EA so I suck and yes I pay enormous tax for import from USA, but it's all because I can - I don't buy ingame horse armor crap so I always have enough of $ for things I can actually use:
http://www.biowarestore.com/n7-logo-tactical-hoody

Last edited:
AMD CPU related motherboards are also generally cheaper than Intel CPU related ones.

Even if AMD is announcing "an army of Ryzen chips" at launch, I get the impression there is going to be a shortage.

If you want a CPU with integrated graphics (aka APU), you'll have to wait though. The Zen related one is going to come out later this year (codename: Raven Ridges). Current info is that it's going to use Vega arch for graphic (and not Polaris).

Also, distributor pricing for the US ( and reddit thread that example how that should look as price at the retailers and validate the entries as legit).

Somewhat bad news, AMD won't provide new CPU drivers for win7.
https://www.pcgamesn.com/amd/ryzen-windows-7-drivers

I'm on win10 since it got released, but I do know people who upgraded their hardware but still don't want the new OS. Not so bad thing is that win7 does work on new CPUs, the question is can win7 harness the power in some maximum/optimum way:
http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/am...windows-7-drivers-but-is-fully-supported.html

EDIT:
Kill me but Kotaku (yea, spit spit) tested i5 vs i7:
http://gizmodo.com/dont-waste-money-on-intels-top-processor-1791426602
When we rendered a 3D object in Blender the i7 accomplished the feat a full 4 minutes and 39 seconds faster than the i5, and when we converted a giant 4K movie file in Handbrake the i7 finished the job 4 minutes and 5 seconds faster than the i5. With that kind of speed the i7 is an absolute necessity for “pros.”
I never tried Blender and i also never used Handbrake on 4K videos, I ment that Handbrake works superfast on i5 with normal videos (max 1080p). But only 4 minutes of difference with 4K full movie? No I still can't say i7 is streamers' musthave. If someone is working on film editing in Hollywood however, then sure, i7 is a must because there every second counts - but it's a job, not gaming.

Last edited:
There are 3d marks (Firestrike) benchmark of Ryzen out in the wilds (so kinda rumors but that means reviewers started receiving their samples technically).

Notes:
- The single core performance chart is BS, they took the Firestrike score (multi-threaded) and divided it by the amount of cores of the CPU.
- The Intel score compared too are taken from reviews and not 3d marks database like the Ryzen ones (the article even point out Intel 3d marks scores are lower than reviewers scores…)
- the chart shows the 1700X, 1600X and 1300.
- someone made another chart with different Intel scores showing it's a bit meaningless to compare them yet.

Don't bother with those charts, it's impossible to confirm any of those "leaks".
Patience, as soon as any of these CPUs are out, we'll see them in actual cases. Hopefully testers will use unoptimized garbage like Assassins Creed 4 that kills CPU where weak GPU doesn't even break sweat.

http://www.pcgamer.com/intel-launches-full-support-for-vulkan-api/

Vulkan based games will now be able to use your dedicated GPU with onchip one paralelly! However...

Note that Vulkan support is only available on 6th and 7th Generation Core products at present. I don't expect Intel to attempt to provide support for earlier graphics solutions like those in Broadwell and Haswell (5th and 4th Gen), due to changes in the graphics capabilities.
Ah well...

Let's see what will AMD say next. But IMO as long as phone/console exclusivity dies on PC, aka death of SLI/crossfire that are disallowing different manufacturer combos, I'm good with it.

Nobody care about your old ass CPUs joxer, especially not Intel who wants everyone to spend $300+ every year on a new CPU for 5% improvements caused by OC.

Personally, I'm going to buy a Ryzen (waiting for benchmarks/price in Canada $) to decide which one. Especially with the rumor that all the Ryzen CPUs are just core locked and binned samples of the 1800. The last time I got a AMD CPU like that, I bought a dual core that I turned into a quad core and OCed the crap out off on air super stable...

You've probably misread something somewhere. My old ass CPUs are i5. I do not, can not and will not recommend buying i7 ever. ;)
Architecture doesn't matter. Well, didn't till this Intel move, but then again we'll wait for Vulkan software where it'll have a noticeable performance gain and by that time most probably noone will use old chips any more.

The story for me goes further - these new AMD CPUs I want to see compared with i5, not i7. Forget rumors about locks. Noone saw the real deal yet. Unless someone stole a chip or more from AMD, but that's not very likely.

Not much can be known from the picture; but I thinik a big open question is how well the chipset performs and what features it provides. For example I *think* multiple m.2 are common on skylake mb but i'm only seeing at most one on the amd; and then there is the question of how many usb 3.1 and pcie lanes are being supported.

Not much can be known from the picture; but I thinik a big open question is how well the chipset performs and what features it provides. For example I *think* multiple m.2 are common on skylake mb but i'm only seeing at most one on the amd; and then there is the question of how many usb 3.1 and pcie lanes are being supported.

From last month, scroll down to Ryzen Chipset Differences for a comprehensive table.

Considering AMD financial losses month in month out, it will be surprising if they manage to put up a decent R&D budget to deliver.

Well depending on implementation they take either sata ports or pcie lanes. If you steal pcie lanes for m.2 then they have to be taken from slots. Anyway from the link you provided it looks like the b350 has 4 sata ports, 1 m.2 - actually the table on that link indicates that the m.2 (nvme) is taking pcie lanes from the processor and you don't get one of your pcie slots. The board's implementation is 1 pcie and 1 nvme and 1 16x pcie for video.
-
Definitly less than intel offerings which include 6 sata ports by defaults - but i guess it just depends on what you need (I don't need 6 sata ports for my gaming computer but for my sever - the more the better).

Back
Top Bottom