Intel i5-8600k versus AMD ryzen equivalent?

Pladio

Guardian of Nonsense
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
I will be buying a new pc soon but I don't know anything about the ryzen cpus.

Is there any reason to go ryzen instead of Intel and if so which one would be the equivalent in gaming performance to the 8600k?

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

"Is there any reason to go ryzen instead of Intel"

No, not according to this article, and if you are a gamer, then that goes double --
https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/amd-vs-intel/
Yes it's mostly gaming. I don't do any video editing or anything else like that.

Seems like it's costing a bit more, but from your and potato's response I might stick with Intel then.

If you want to play open world games, more CPU heavy, or strategy games, AMD would be better option. 6+ cores for gaming are becoming more common, not sure about PS5 specs.
Also if you want to upgrade in 2-3 years, you can still keep the same board.
Team Red, definitely.

New intel CPU generation is apparently coming soon. And rumors say that the new generation will replace the bad thermal paste by soldering, which should make the heat dissipation a lot better.

So it might be worth to wait if you want to get the "best stuff". On the other hand, a top notch CPU isn't really necessary to play pretty much any game.

My high level take is amd processors are more interesting (esp if you are using the processor gpu (not relevant for gaming); but intel chipset (motherboards) tend to be significantly more mature.
-
Also an interesting point (for those who care and not relevant for gaming pc) intel chip security flaws were fare more severe than amd.
-
Like all things this is a moving target where things quickly change.

My high level take is amd processors are more interesting (esp if you are using the processor gpu (not relevant for gaming); but intel chipset (motherboards) tend to be significantly more mature.
-
Also an interesting point (for those who care and not relevant for gaming pc) intel chip security flaws were fare more severe than amd.
-
Like all things this is a moving target where things quickly change.
Thanks. Seems like another vote for Intel if only for gaming...

Not really a vote for intel system for gaming; more of a vote for intel for server (chipset is more important in servers). For gaming I'd go with the cheapest that meet your performance objective; but for either system make sure the mb you get is reliable as well as the ram and psu.

Thanks. Seems like another vote for Intel if only for gaming…

What's this about soldering?

Well, the CPU as we know and buy it today, is not actually the CPU, it's a piece of plastic with the chip on it, and on top of that there is a metal casing.
When you put your thermal paste on it, you don't put it on the CPU itself but on the metal casing.

And below that metal casing you actually have another, supposedly quite bad, thermal paste by intel, and only about that is the actual CPU.

Therefore hardcore overclockers "delid" or "behead" the CPU, removing the metal case (and the warranty) apply an own thermal paste (e.g. liquid metal) and then put the metal plate (heatspreader) back on top of it, to get a maximum of heat conductivity.

Now with the new generation there are some rumors that this is improved on:
https://www.overclock3d.net/news/cp...ore_s-series_cpus_will_be_soldered_-_report/1

Therefore hardcore overclockers "delid"

Ahhh, damn! I'd never do that! 20 degrees lower does make it sound worth it, though. Did you ever try this? Maybe if I had the tool but it's hardly worth buying a tool for a single CPU.

Is it literally solder or some new high-tech alloy that they're going to use?

Ahhh, damn! I'd never do that! 20 degrees lower does make it sound worth it, though. Did you ever try this? Maybe if I had the tool but it's hardly worth buying a tool for a single CPU.

No idea yet, but apparently they are supposed to launch around november. So it shouldn't be a long wait. :)

Oh, and no, I never tried it. I am also not overclocking my CPU to the max, hardly any use for that. ^^
Got a i7 6700k and overclocked it very conservatively from 4000Mhz to 4400Mhz. Not sure if I even have much use of that, but hey, was easy to do.

Thanks. Seems like another vote for Intel if only for gaming…

I'm a long time AMD guy who has switched to Intel a couple of years ago and is very happy with his i7.

If I had to upgrade now I would go AMD. Their CPUs are coming with more cores. This makes them more future proof and allows you to run more stuff in the background while gaming.

From a technological perspective Intel has lost the initiative. The first generation Ryzen problems are fixed, and they weren't all that serious. Plus Intel has manufacturing problems causing significant price increases in the last few weeks. Not to forget that AMD doesn't require a new mainboard for every new CPU generation.

That's all nice to have. The real argument is: 19 out of 20 games are GPU-limited. This means your game is as fast as your graphics card, given that your CPU is "fast enough". And in the other 1 out of 20 games the AMD CPU has more speed than you need, although the Intel chip is probably 5% faster in this game.
So the argument that Intel is better for gaming simply doesn't cut it for me. It's irrelevant for the vast majority of games and only a small advantage in very few.

It's clear though that Ryzen CPUs are very fast for pretty much everything else.

IMHO you should rather ask if there's a reason to buy Intel, besides "I have always bought Intel". One reason could be for example that you intend to overclock your CPU. Intel chips tend to o/c better. Another argument is that you're doing things with your PC for which 100% stability and proven technology is vital. There are professional situations in which this is the case. In that case buy the expensive Intel Professional grade parts. They are rock stable 24 hours a day, while AMD is only "probably very stable".

Right now I would buy AMD as well. The fact that you will be able to just slot in Zen2 and Zen2+ processors is a massive plus. Intel is just throwing money down the drain. I currently have an intel system and I am looking at a complete rebuy to upgrade. My last AMD system I performed 3 upgrades all costing at most a couple of hundred dollars and some components in the system last nearly 6 years.

I delidded my 3770k. Dropped it 18 degrees, allowed me to run it at 5ghz on water cooling. Totally worth it ( at the time) imo. Used liquid metal as thermal paste.

The delidding is not trivial though. Requires patience and a steady hand. Just used a razor blade.

Last edited:
Seems like opinion is somewhat mixed with no clear winner then.

How different would the build need to be with an AMD processor? Is it simply motherboard?

What AMD motherboard would I need to look at for the 2600?

My next system will very likely be AMD, but I don't have one yet, so I'll leave it to others to advise you on the specifics. I have read that Ryzen performance responds well to faster memory.

Back
Top Bottom