Intel 9th generation announced

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
The 9th generation has been announced and will be available later in October. Not too much to excite. I guess for myself the most interesting thing is the increase in the pcie lanes for the X processors; unfortunately they don't increase the number of sata connections and quite frankly the price point doesn't work for myself. The K processor - esp the i5 is reasonably price but other than the security fixes it doesn't seem to add a whole lot. Hum. Was hopeful one day they would support 10 or 12 sata ports with their chipsets (which will be the z390). Oh they did add increase support for usb 3.1 with z390 so I guess that is a plus for folks on the band wagon. No changes to the integrated video and still 14nm; next chip will be 10nm.

Any details on the security fixes?

Just wondered if you'd come across a good article detailing the architectural security changes, and what exactly was fixed. Not to worry - I'll look into it.

The 9th generation has been announced and will be available later in October. Not too much to excite. I guess for myself the most interesting thing is the increase in the pcie lanes for the X processors; unfortunately they don't increase the number of sata connections and quite frankly the price point doesn't work for myself. The K processor - esp the i5 is reasonably price but other than the security fixes it doesn't seem to add a whole lot. Hum. Was hopeful one day they would support 10 or 12 sata ports with their chipsets (which will be the z390). Oh they did add increase support for usb 3.1 with z390 so I guess that is a plus for folks on the band wagon. No changes to the integrated video and still 14nm; next chip will be 10nm.
According to the article I read the i5 9600k is supposed to cost 290 dollars but it seems to be going for 350 pounds in the UK which is way higher...

I assume that's due to their shortages.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Is it good to wait, now? For a price drop on second Ryzen, at least?

I'm too lazy to look it up for sure but I thought the article i read yesterday said the i5-9600k was $246.

According to the article I read the i5 9600k is supposed to cost 290 dollars but it seems to be going for 350 pounds in the UK which is way higher…

I assume that's due to their shortages.

No. It just mentioned that shadow whatever and the other ones were fixed as promised. They didn't go into details of how they were fix but I suspect it was related to cache management - probably clears memory before contex switch or reusing the pages.
-
Anyway I need to replace my server 2500k system one of these days but I'm leaning towards xeon - being a bit cheaper; more sata ports and more pcie lanes. Neither intel nor amd desktop chipsets support very many sata ports.

Just wondered if you'd come across a good article detailing the architectural security changes, and what exactly was fixed. Not to worry - I'll look into it.

I'm too lazy to look it up for sure but I thought the article i read yesterday said the i5-9600k was $246.
Even worse then :(

I thought I had read 292 but maybe I misremembered.

Still couldn't find something close to that price in the UK though...

Do you mean an "official" announcement or something? Because this isn't really new. They were announced a few weeks ago.

I5 9600k is $279 at Newegg in the states.

I’m still running a 5930k. So I may pull the trigger on an i9 9900k. I want to see how it’s overclocking on water first.

I wanted to pair it with a 2080ti but I’m not sure now as I’m a little disappointed in the performance. I’d consider sli but many games aren’t scaling and some are even showing worse performance than a single card.

I don’t mind shelling out cash for my hobby but it’d be nice to see some substantial gains for the substantial cash they want.

They haven't been released yet so they will be over priced. Anything you find for sale would be samples or pre-orders that aren't suppose to be sold. The official release date is Oct 19 and the price is $262:
https://www.trustedreviews.com/news/intel-9th-gen-cpu-release-date-specs-3501382

Even worse then :(

I thought I had read 292 but maybe I misremembered.

Still couldn't find something close to that price in the UK though…

Do you mean an "official" announcement or something? Because this isn't really new. They were announced a few weeks ago.

The Intel event was yesterday where they showcased it. The press is reporting it everywhere now.

Sort of like the Amazon Wheel of Time series. We've known about that for months now too, but they released a press thingie on it last week so suddenly everywhere is talking about it.

I'll see what I can find out about the 3 flaws in i9 and what was done to prevent it from my buddy is still over at Intel and sent me the conference link (snooze). IIRC the last patch for it shut down caching which majorly slowed the processors down. And it turns out AMD had the same kind of problem.

And it turns out AMD had the same kind of problem.

My memory is weak here but I believe that AMD did NOT have the same kind of problem. The one problem I remember hearing about was in a support chip by a third party supplier and that was fixed. I do remember intel spreading some FUD because they were concern about AMD success in the market place but this FUD was quickly shown to be false.
(The issue here is not desktop but server market which is quite profitable)
--
Also they could not have 'shut down the cache'; these processors won't run without the cache (ok they will run but the speed would be miserably slow not just a little slower). They might have disabled one level of cache but even then I would expect a huge hit on performance (far greater than what was reported in worse case scenario); I suspect the fix was a bit different - perhaps clearing pages of cache in certain situation - but i never looked into how they fixed it or how the exploit was exercised.

Last edited:
Ok, relying on old memory is not working here. Let's do some research. Intel throwing shade on the competition is triggering some deja vu too.

Isn't it amazing how Intel was able to prove a 50% performance boost compared to AMD after making sure half of the cores in the AMD part were switched off?! ;)

Back
Top Bottom