Mouse and keyboard disconnect temporarily

Pladio

Guardian of Nonsense
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Hello all. So I am having an issue with my new computer.
Everything works fine 95% of the time. Sometimes however, both the mouse and keyboard decide to stop working for a few seconds and then start up again.

I can't seem to be able to find this issue on Google, but to be honest I am not sure what to even search for.
Anyone have the same issue or know how to resolve this ?

EDIT: I have found a site that says to disable the Win 10 Power Management features. So I'm trying that now. Any other suggestions are welcome.

Could be two things. Microfreeze of the whole system or USB power management is screwed.

First go in your browser options and disable hardware acceleration. If it's firefox, go Options, turn off Recommended Performance then turn off Hardware Acceleration.
I don't have Chrome installed so google for how to disable it in that one.

Test the machine after that. Is it still misbehaving?

If yes, make sure everything is updated (settings->update&security->check for updates).

Next, open device manager (click on magnifying glass then type "device"). Is there any device with red or yellow mark? If yes, find an appropriate driver (or post a screenshot here).

Do this next:
- press magnifying glass
- type "power"
- click on "edit power plan"
- click on "change advanced power settings"
- expand USB tree and disable selective suspend

Return to device manager and for each USB "device" if possible disable "allow the computer to turn off device". On the next pic is how it looks on my PC, power saving is enabled because I have no such problems, but you do disable it.

pic.jpg

If that doesn't help, check in BIOS if there is some USB setting using some odd option.
You may as well check on motherboard manufacturer site if there is a new version of BIOS for your PC. If unsure what motherboard is inside and you don't want to open the case, download and install CPU-Z.

If nothing of this helped, it means it's most probably a faulty motherboard issue. That mobo needs to be replaced.

Where are they plugged in - the back - front - or hub. Might be a loose wire or vibration causing a connection to break - esp if they are plugged into the front ports or hub.... If they are plugged into the back ports which are hardwired on the mb - not sure. Don't think this would be a power management issue... also I never experience that on my windows 10 system.

Hello all. So I am having an issue with my new computer.
Everything works fine 95% of the time. Sometimes however, both the mouse and keyboard decide to stop working for a few seconds and then start up again.

I can't seem to be able to find this issue on Google, but to be honest I am not sure what to even search for.
Anyone have the same issue or know how to resolve this ?

EDIT: I have found a site that says to disable the Win 10 Power Management features. So I'm trying that now. Any other suggestions are welcome.

What kind of keyboard/mouse? How do you have them connected? Are they disconnecting, or just freezing for a few seconds? What other software do you have installed (GPU software, CPU monitor software, Anti-Virus, etc)? List specs and brands on your system?

One of the most common issues i've seen, is as you've said in your edit, was power management software. This can even cause brief monitor and network flicker/disconnects. Check all your hardware for the latest drivers, and even look for Bios and firmware updates (even for your SSD). Also check your Windows Event Viewer for any peculiar events during the timestamp of your issue.

Be good to know if the whole system is hitching. I'd put on a Youtube playlist or similar in the background, and then tinker around until it occurs - see if the media halts, or starts skipping like a CD. I'd also leave the System Monitor running, and see if there's any unusual spikes when it occurs.

90% of time it's due to power management, and the other 10% is USB or part failure. It happened to me many times were I kept hearing my mouse disconnect.

Thanks all. So the power management hasn't fixed it. I'll try the other bits one after the other.

What kind of keyboard/mouse? How do you have them connected? Are they disconnecting, or just freezing for a few seconds? What other software do you have installed (GPU software, CPU monitor software, Anti-Virus, etc)? List specs and brands on your system?

One of the most common issues i've seen, is as you've said in your edit, was power management software. This can even cause brief monitor and network flicker/disconnects. Check all your hardware for the latest drivers, and even look for Bios and firmware updates (even for your SSD). Also check your Windows Event Viewer for any peculiar events during the timestamp of your issue.

The mouse and keyboard both worked fine at all times when previously plugged into my laptop, so I believe the problem is more likely with the new pc and/or its software.

They're both connected to the back of the pc. They seem to disconnect for a few seconds as the lights turn off on the mouse and the numlock. I use Avast as the antivirus and other than that I have logitech keyboard and mouse. The motherboard is MSI X470 GAMING PLUS ATX. I have no other problems than this as far as I know.

Thanks all. So the power management hasn't fixed it. I'll try the other bits one after the other.

The mouse and keyboard both worked fine at all times when previously plugged into my laptop, so I believe the problem is more likely with the new pc and/or its software.

They're both connected to the back of the pc. They seem to disconnect for a few seconds as the lights turn off on the mouse and the numlock. I use Avast as the antivirus and other than that I have logitech keyboard and mouse. The motherboard is MSI X470 GAMING PLUS ATX. I have no other problems than this as far as I know.

That motherboard comes with Win7 USB drivers, but not for Win10. Try manually installing the Win7 USB drivers.

Need more specs and specifics.

- What PSU are you using?
- Are you running MSI Afterburner software?
- Is your mouse/KB wireless?
- Do they share the same USB dongle, or are they separate?
- Do you have other USB devices plugged in?
- Did you get a chance to check the Event Viewer?
- Did you install the latest 1.0.0.6 BIOS update for you motherboard?
- Have you tried different USB slots (USB 2, USB 3, front and back)
- HAve you tried disabling USB 3 in the BIOS?
- Are you using the drivers from MSI for your devices (SATA/Chipset/Audio/etc)? If so, uninstall and use the Windows 10 drivers.
- Or are you using the auto update Windows 10 drivers for your devices? If so, uninstall and use the MSI drivers.

That motherboard comes with Win7 USB drivers, but not for Win10. Try manually installing the Win7 USB drivers.

Need more specs and specifics.

- What PSU are you using?
- Are you running MSI Afterburner software?
- Is your mouse/KB wireless?
- Do they share the same USB dongle, or are they separate?
- Do you have other USB devices plugged in?
- Did you get a chance to check the Event Viewer?
- Did you install the latest 1.0.0.6 BIOS update for you motherboard?
- Have you tried different USB slots (USB 2, USB 3, front and back)
- HAve you tried disabling USB 3 in the BIOS?
- Are you using the drivers from MSI for your devices (SATA/Chipset/Audio/etc)? If so, uninstall and use the Windows 10 drivers.
- Or are you using the auto update Windows 10 drivers for your devices? If so, uninstall and use the MSI drivers.

Hello again. Wanted to try it out after installing some drivers for the Bios .
I also tried different USB slots and they are not plugged into a dongle.

The only thing I haven't yet done is flash the Bios to the latest version.

However, I have now tested it out on another device too and it actually does happen there too, although it seems less frequently.

It's odd, because it didn't happen previously. So now I am thinking it might have had something to do with the latest Win 10 batch of updates.

I don't know what to look for in the Event Viewer. Any hints on that ?

EDIT: I found that another keyboard and mouse were in the list of devices on pressing Win + I and going to devices. So I have removed them. Let's see how it goes.

Appreciate everyone's help.

Last edited:
Wish I could help but i've never had this problem so can't play with my local configuration. I do have a middle button that won't work but i think that is mechanical and not system releated.

Back
Top Bottom