power electricity converters

‪Anyone know if power converters and electric outlets that convert watts from europe to u.s. wattage: 220w to 110 (which also make a buzzing sound) consume a lot of energy or make the electricity bill high if you use them to constantly run your iMac and have one always running?‬ I recently came back from a trip and I lost my covnerter plug so now have to decide tor ely on this or ourchase a whole new power outlet with usb ports included.

I also lost a mini usb port I believe i used to plug into my iPad bouetooth keyboard and it seems like the other ones I have at home wont work with it.

No clue, but usually you do not need "actual" converters, because the device's power supply already is able to do that by itself.

Although, since it's apple… :biggrin:

Most modern devices (like phone chargers) will support both 220v and 110v so perhaps check what items you are going to use. There are true converters for around 50$. Also the plugs are different so you might simply need a plug converter. They are usually $5 to $10.

(for a phone charger - as an example - read the fine print on the charger itself).

‪Anyone know if power converters and electric outlets that convert watts from europe to u.s. wattage: 220w to 110 (which also make a buzzing sound) consume a lot of energy or make the electricity bill high if you use them to constantly run your iMac and have one always running?‬ I recently came back from a trip and I lost my covnerter plug so now have to decide tor ely on this or ourchase a whole new power outlet with usb ports included.

I also lost a mini usb port I believe i used to plug into my iPad bouetooth keyboard and it seems like the other ones I have at home wont work with it.

In terms of total potential capacity, some EU plugs will have less total output when it comes to units of power (Watt).

V(Volts) x A(Amp) = (W)Watts

So if you're in the UK, even though it's 250v, a Type D connecter has a max output of 5A, meaning the total power potential is 1250 watts. Whereas in NA, while it's only 125v, the max output is rated at 15A, making the total power potential of 1875 watts.

However this is theoretical output, and is irrelevant in your case. As @Cacheperl; pointed out, the device only draws the power it needs.

You just need to find out if your power adapter is rated for different outputs. If it says something like "100v to 240v, 50hz to 60hz" Then all you need is an adapter plug. If it doesn't then you need a voltage converter too.

Back
Top Bottom