Weird (false?) Trojan virus alert in steam game

Arkadia7

SasqWatch
Original Sin 2 Donor
Hi, just me with another of my offbeat computer stories...:biggrin:

I recently have been playing a steam game called - Alien breed: Impact - it is a top down shooter (very cool game, by the way)

I had been playing for around 4 hours with no problems at all.

Then recently, my anti virus - Kaspersky 2019 free edition - detected that the game had a virus. It deleted the game immediately, not giving me an option, so I guess the program thought it was a pretty severe and clear virus.

It said it was "PDM:Trojan.Win32.Generic" to be precise.

Ok, so this Kaspersky has been outstanding as an anti-virus program for me, for the around a year or so that I have had it, and it is a top rated anti virus program, even the free edition. So I trusted it.

Then I downloaded the game from steam again, thinking maybe it was because I had recently signed up for Discord for the first time, and joined a particular Discord "room" or "server" and they made me go through what I thought was a shady process where I had to clink a link and then I don't know what the link was, but then they said that I was "verified" to join the server.

Anyway, it made me suspicious because as I said, the previous 4 hours I had played the game in previous days before I installed Discord, I never had gotten that warning before. So I thought that maybe the shady Discord server people gave me a virus in the verification process.

Long story shorter, I deleted Discord entirely. Don't really need it anyway. I also don't like how Discord was starting up every time my computer rebooted and trying to connect for an "update", it was annoying and shady behavior.

I then did a system restore to a prior time when I knew I had not installed the Discord program, just to be sure. The system restore worked flawlessly. And then I re-downloaded the game from steam, and then started it up (Alien Breed: Impact) and all seemed well, no warning while I was playing. But then, alas, it was not to be!

Around 10 minutes into my game session, I got the exact same warning from the Kaspersky anti-virus again! The exact same thing happened. It deleted the program entirely, and told me to reboot to make sure everything was cleared.

I couldn't believe it. Very frustrating. So then I wondered if maybe it wasn't Discord after all. I downloaded the game from steam (yet again) and then ran Malware Bytes, to see if it could find anything or maybe the same virus. Nope! It said my system was clean.

Now I started to suspect that this was a false positive. In fact, I'm almost certain of it. So, I put it on the exclusion list of Kaspersky, and that did the trick. It no longer interrupts my game and deletes the game when I'm playing.

Just wanted to see what others thought about all this, if they think I did the right thing, or if they think steam actually has a game with a virus in it! I doubt it, but I guess you never know.

That game is nice, from what i remember its a trilogy; anyway, those shit "games" under 1$ might be suspicious, there were a few cases that had miners in them.

Well to add more info it seems Steam was hacked on Sunday
The communists are in your anti-virus. :p
Dafuq? Steam breach and competition bs has nothing with it.

The game in question had a similar problem with AVG a couple of years ago where AVG also "believed" it contains a virus. It was sorted out fast.
Why Kaspersky suddenly thinks the same, I dunno. You should contact the game's support.

I was posting off-topic, and didn't feel like starting a new thread.:p

Anyway Steam is a mess right now as every screenshot or image is deleted.

PS: Don't stay up for 24 hrs straight it messes you up. That and google search is terrible.

5B675A824A847B4675DD77804CDA951F4752F890

Last edited:
Yea, perhaps some lines about the breach should be written in the security thread, but so far there is no confirmation anyone's password or paypal/creditcard dana was stolen, so there. Lack of pics is not as relevant IMO, steam is not supposed to be Facebook's Instagram. :p

It's not about Facebook's Instagram. I was looking to download a few mods and the preview pics are just black boxes. It's been that way for two days now. Woe is me.:(

Something weird is going on. I've read about the Steam data breach a couple of days ago but it's now gone. And it wasn't Kotaku, in fact it wasn't any gaming site. False alarm it might be or fake news later deleted.

Does everything work on my side dunno. And actually don't care, all I want from Steam is to patch my games efficienty. And sales.
Other "features" of the overbloated client? Meh. :)

But as I've said above. It's not connected to virus alerts.

Most of the games that I play permit me to play with the actual steam program offline, which is my preferred method. To date, I've not noticed any problems playing that way. I did get an email today from Obsidian asking me to take some survey, and when I clicked to participate I got some warning so rather than taking that chance, I typed out a five paragraph response and sent that back to them. I have to hope that someone will actually read it!

I bet the necro was done by bot.

Anyway, a guy from my friendlist spammed me a note with link to get a free game. Can't remember the link now (not at home) but I've replied him it's a fraud site.

How do I know? The site asks you to log in it with steam credentials. Riight, so it can access my paypal data, mhm, not a chance. My phone? No, I refuse to give my number to Steam.

The only not suspicious site is GOG where Steam account linked grants you DRMfree versions of several titles.
Never ever enter Steam creds elsewhere. Not even on legit news sites like PCGN.

For future reference - linked to my previous post:

pic.jpg

You know what I find suspicious? 400 friends.

:p

But thanks for the warning.

I don't think it's suspicious as it's not the only such person with numerous friends I've accepted the friend_request from - some attention seeking people turned their steam profile into facebook. This one helped me trolling MGS5 forum when Konami made the Narnia patch so I've added him.

Back
Top Bottom