Another nVidia vs AMD media "war"

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Recently you could have seen nVidia CEO spitting on new AMD card:
https://www.pcgamer.com/nvidia-ceo-trash-talks-the-amd-radeon-vii-the-performance-is-lousy/
Nvidia CEO Jensen Huang isn't known for pulling punches, and in a roundtable interview with PCWorld and other outlets he let us know what he thinks about AMD's upcoming Radeon VII. In a word, he says it's "underwhelming."
None of this is out of the norm for Huang, of course. He routinely speaks his mind and typically isn't in the habit of praising competitors. He goes on to elaborate that "the performance is lousy and there's nothing new… [There's] no ray tracing, no AI. It's 7nm with HBM memory that barely keeps up with a 2080. And if we turn on DLSS we'll crush it. And if we turn on ray tracing we'll crush it."

And now, AMD, about the very same DLSS says it sux:
https://www.pcgamesn.com/amd/amd-dismisses-nvidia-dlss-harsh-scaling
Around the launch of the AMD Radeon VII there was a bit of talk, and a lot of confusion, about the red team’s GPUs being capable of matching Nvidia’s DLSS technology. But in a pre-launch briefing AMD representatives dismissed the effectiveness of the GeForce-only post-processing effect, suggesting non-proprietary SMAA and TAA could “offer superior combinations of image quality and performance.”

Y'know, this "DLSS sux" smells to me like the transition story from xvid to x264 and now from x264 to x265. Whiners, everywhere.
No I don't care one's "smart" TV or outdated hardware console can't possibly run x265, I don't care x265 is still not properly "harnessed". It gives results (high quality and small size).

On the other hand, I can't understand nVidia's CEO. Sure, AMD's new card doesn't come with new features by default. But it does something PC audience needs. Optimization of existing technologies. I want that! I'm sick of Ubisoft philosophy where optimization is not happening and everything stutters.

Both sides seemingly forgot something else. dx12 and vulkan. Two manufacturers, two different cards, one PC. It's not a rocket science, it needs just a bit of work to allow the audience having the best from both worlds at the same time. Not much. Hell some nVidia cards can work with freesync.
Besides, more people buy one nVidia and one AMD card for their rig, more $ for both companies.

Back
Top Bottom