What games are you ashamed to say you've never played?

Fallout and sequel. I was late coming into the RPG genre. My first one was Gothic.

Never played any of the Ultimas for some reason.

Have had Gothic1 installed for 2-3 years now, but never make it past the first town before losing interest.

There are no games that I'm ashamed of not playing, maybe except the very good games of olden days like Wizardry, Might & Magic, Ultima, Golden Box series and the like, because it's a difficult task to play them today and probably they have lost some of their appeal (well probably, at least to me).

On the other hand, more recent games I believe to be at least mildly amusing I don't say I am ashamed of not playing, since I plan to play them at some point. It may not happen, but it's a way of positive thinking :)

Some of those 'old' games, still play very well, IF you can get past the ancient graphics. I can, but then I'm old too!! :)

Well, I know I claim that I don't care about graphics, being a Spiderweb fan, but still ... some of the older games have no graphics at all :)

I never answered my own question:
- I have never finished a Wizardry game. (though I have played some of all 8 especially 7 & 8, and own the first 7 on a collection)
- I have never finished an Ultima game. I've now got Ultima Underworld on my Pocket PC, and also have the Ultima series on a collection CD and .
- I have never finished a Might & Magic game (Dark Messiah doesn't count). Also have those, and have played some of each, mostly #6.

Never finished Icewind Dale 2 ... and since I stalled on my current run that seems likely to hold for a while ...

Despite being THE D&D guy among everyone I know, I still haven't played NWN2.

MMOs have spoiled me, a bit. Single player seems empty, even if a lot of MMO players are morons that I put on my block/ignore list the instant they open their mouths.

As I live and breathe... Where in the sam-hell have you been, Xen???

Mike, give MM7 a good push. Iz kinda fugly, but the gameplay is very strong and the story is pretty decent.

Exactly where I said I was going when I went into exile. I set my sights on a 2x body weight competition legal deadlift (320 pounds) and I shattered it (400 back in December as a Christmas present to myself). 500 is my next goal, and I think I've got the big quarter ton in me. Easily if I decide to put another 15 pounds of muscle on (tempting). I'm very popular on moving day.

I, too, have never finished a Wizardry game. I loved Bane of the Cosmic Forge, but I got stuck and that was that. I played the demo for 8 and the constant assault by dozens of minions every few steps really got to me.

I've never played Gothic 3 and haven't finished Gothic 2. Why, I don't know... it was a great game (was hunting dragons in the old part of the world if I recall correctly).

I haven't touched Oblivion with a 10 foot pole, not that I made it farther than level 30ish in Morrowind.

Sort of "ashamed" that I never managed to finish Half-Life 2 but the game is making me physically sick after sometimes only a few minutes and sometimes after half an hour to an hour of gaming. I'm talking serious sickness here that usually puts me out of business for a few hours. I get a migrane-like headache as if the game was drilling a hole into my head and then I start feeling like I'm going to throw up any moment. I bet that if I just kept playing, I'd pass out, get an epileptic seizure and would start puking all over the place all at the same time. Or maybe even die. Who knows?

The only other game in history that did that to me (though to a milder degree and I was able to finish it) was one of the Soldier of Fortune games.
It's really weird. I can play all other Source engine games with no problems at all. Just like I could play any other Quake(2)-based games with no issues. It's only SoF (1 or 2... don't remember) and HL2. Strange.
Heck, I played Prey which has wall- and ceiling-walking, portaling etc. for hours at a time. No problem at all.
But there's something in HL2 that some part(s) of my eyes and brain just don't like. I think I'll give it another try one of these days because I must be at the end of the Canal/Water Hazard sequence according to a walkthrough site. Maybe a change of the scenery/level graphics will do the trick. Hopefully.

Hi, Xen and welcome to the Watch; it's great to have you here!!

Despite being THE D&D guy among everyone I know, I still haven't played NWN2.

Huh? NWN2 has only been out for a matter of months, so I wouldn't worry about not having played it yet.

I bought it shortly after it was released but I haven't even installed it yet. I'm just too backlogged on games right now.

Sort of "ashamed" that I never managed to finish Half-Life 2 but the game is making me physically sick after sometimes only a few minutes and sometimes after half an hour to an hour of gaming. I'm talking serious sickness here that usually puts me out of business for a few hours.
REally? One of my friends can't play shooters for the very same reason, but it happened to her back in '93. I experienced it twice, but it only happened when two factors came together: when I played a game with static backgrounds and moving protagonist first (in this case Alone in the Dark) and a game with moving backgrounds and stationary protagonist later (in this case, Doom). When it happened for the second time, I realized what it was and stopped playing the games in this succession - there was no problem when it was the other way around.

Planescape: Torment would be highest on the list right now. Arcanum, too.

Sort of "ashamed" that I never managed to finish Half-Life 2 but the game is making me physically sick after sometimes only a few minutes and sometimes after half an hour to an hour of gaming.

I think there is something in the FOV that makes the effect really bug some people ... perhaps do a search on that and find the setting you can change. I have heard that changing a single parameter can make a world of difference.

Thanks for the hint... I'll check it out :) . The only thing that I can think of that SoF has in common with the HL2 Canal/Water Hazard level is the generally brownish/yellowish theme but I don't know why that would make me sick. Going to have to do some Google research one of these days whether it really is just a simple setting. Who knows?
It can't really be general motion sickness though because as I said, I can play any and every other shooter including Prey with its "4D" gameplay all day long (if I really wanted to). Prey sometimes made me slightly dizzy (but not sick at all... just dizzy) like "wait... where am I... is this up or down or am I walking sideways on the wall..." but I bet that happens to everyone after a few hours of play since it can easily become a little confusing when you wallwalk and portal yourself from the floor to the ceiling to the side walls several times in rapid succession.

Thanks for the hint... I'll check it out :) .

Here is some info I found at the nVidia forums:
Well I get very sick and get headaches after about 30 minutes of playing. This happens in HL2 but doesn't seem to happen in CS: Source.

It seems that HL2 has a bad point of view setting.
It's set to 75 while a human can see about 180.

Looks like changing the point of view to 90 (Like in CS: Source) makes the sickness and headaches go away.

Here is how in console type each of these commands:
default_fov 90
sv_cheats 1
fov 90

I question if that is true. It seems odd that the FOV could be 75 in HL2 and 90 in counterstrike and hardly anyone noticed it. There's a big difference between 75 and 90.

Back
Top Bottom