Gothic 3 - Final Community Patch Released!

So, with this patch, should I make G3 my next RPG? I have very limited time to play these days, so It's this, Drakensang, NWN2-MotB, or one of the many classics I still want to play, probably either Vampire: Bloodlines, or Planescape: Torment (which I played a bit with a friend but not all that much). The Gothics I and II are among my top ten games, but I held back on getting 3 after all the bad press it got. Do you feel it's up to par now?

Definately

Well actually, if you've got such an impressive backlog, you might as well play PS:T or Bloodlines, because Gothic just might get a minor patch update if something happens, and it'd be silly if that forced you to restart. And, of course, Gothic being a newer game, it'll age much better for the coming few years.

I've been really unlucky regarding the new CP. I'm getting constant "Where's the Guru" crashes. It's running pretty smoothly with everything on max, but for the annoying crashes. I have to save very very often in order not to loose a lot of game-time. But it's very stressful, and I wouldn't be surprised if I'm going to give it up. It's too annoying to play the game, knowing it might crash anytime. :( Damn it. :(

And I've no idea why. I'm running WinXP x64, not Vista, and my hardware is up to date. So why? :(

Don't really know either. Assuming you have 2GB+ RAM and the video card has enough for the textures on max setting. My 8800GTS has ~648MB and there's 2GB system RAM with Vista 64 there's been 0 crashes after 5-6 hours or [probably] more.

The G15 keyboard shows 90-94% RAM usage at max settings when starting out. That should increase further as play time goes on and new areas,textures are loaded into RAM. Also, need extra for save games if I read correctly. I haven't payed attention once playing to know how far it goes up if it still does w/cp1.7 [it probably does.]

If its not that then don't know what it is.

Don't really know either. Assuming you have 2GB+ RAM and the video card has enough for the textures on max setting. My 8800GTS has ~648MB and there's 2GB system RAM with Vista 64 there's been 0 crashes after 5-6 hours or [probably] more.

The G15 keyboard shows 90-94% RAM usage at max settings when starting out. That should increase further as play time goes on and new areas,textures are loaded into RAM. Also, need extra for save games if I read correctly. I haven't payed attention once playing to know how far it goes up if it still does w/cp1.7 [it probably does.]

If its not that then don't know what it is.

I really don't think it's my hardware. I've got a Intel Quad-Core Q6600 @ 2,4, 8 gigs of ram, and a ATI 4870 (1 gig) so that should be more than enough. The only major difference between my system and the majority of other people is that I'm using Windows XP x64, which I guess is kinda odd/rare these days, as most people that want more than 4 gigs use Vista X64.

But I'm guessing I'm gonna have to skip on G3 for now, at least until I'll have a new system which will probably use either Vista or Windows 7, so it will probably be quite a while. And maybe then it won't behave as badly.

I really don't think it's my hardware. I've got a Intel Quad-Core Q6600 @ 2,4, 8 gigs of ram, and a ATI 4870 (1 gig) so that should be more than enough. The only major difference between my system and the majority of other people is that I'm using Windows XP x64, which I guess is kinda odd/rare these days, as most people that want more than 4 gigs use Vista X64.

But I'm guessing I'm gonna have to skip on G3 for now, at least until I'll have a new system which will probably use either Vista or Windows 7, so it will probably be quite a while. And maybe then it won't behave as badly.

That stinks. Did you try the suggestions in the jowood forum? http://forum.jowood.com/showthread.php?t=151712

Don't know what changed w/1.7 so might want to see what others are saying lately on that too in that thread or others.

Awful? I thought the previous system was awful -- you could walk right into a rebel camp with an orc companion in tow, or vice versa. That just doesn't make any *sense*. Now you have to tell your companion to wait in the woods.
That's quite funny you are blind to the fact that you could apply this arguing to the hero himself.

I bet you just don't use companion otherwise after few reload because a fight moves to close to some stuff you'll see how poor gameplay it is.

Using companion was already painful to use they made it much more painful. One more confusion case, NO realism doesn't mean better gameplay. :rolleyes:

And I get a feeling that you prefer brainless hack-em-ups to games that actually challenge you, attempt to be realistic within the constraints of the reality they create, and try to push you out of your comfort zone.
Lol you are a clown? :biggrin:

EDIT: And about the awful G3 click feast they let it in all its glory, ok removed for animals and well done but let for humanoids!

That's quite funny you are blind to the fact that you could apply this arguing to the hero himself.

Except that the game *does* apply it to the hero himself. He starts out neutral, and stays that way until he gets involved in a certain number of decisive fights on one side, at which point the other side no longer considers him neutral and attacks him on sight.

I bet you just don't use companion otherwise after few reload because a fight moves to close to some stuff you'll see how poor gameplay it is.

I do use companions. Been hangin' out with Copper a quite a bit in the early game, except when I sent him home and went bandit-hunting with Cyrus instead.

Using companion was already painful to use they made it much more painful. One more confusion case, NO realism doesn't mean better gameplay. :rolleyes:

It's not a confusion case. They just changed something to be more consistent with the setting, and because it makes the game a wee bit harder, you're crying like a baby -- *and* insulting people who see the changes for what they are.

Also, I never reload except when I'm killed. I consider that abuse, and I hate staring at that stupid screen. (OK, I do reload if I lose an arena fight.)

Seriously, Dasale -- just switch the difficulty level to Easy, or go into godmode if you can't deal with it. This is a game for grown-ups, not click-happy console jockeys with short attention spans.

Lol you are a clown? :biggrin:

Nah, that would be the mirror you're lookin' at.

Why would you? The Hero is neutral for most of the game.

Well that's your opinion, but some of us actually like the additional realism.

Why the Hero is neutral?? He is human, has no special tattoo, pass or badge, I wonder how Orcs would see him as neutral. At least at the beginning.

Well do you use companions regularly ie most often in G3? Don't lie... I bet not or you'll see the pain it becomes to manage.

EDIT: But ok fine I disabled the AB option and let the advanced IA options and well that's better. At this point I feel not sure that it's a clear improve for animals fighting and for humanoids I regret they don't disable the click feast but I feel that they slow down the action so better for me, but I'm not sure as I don't see that in changes list.

EDIT2: About realism in Gothic 3 well it's not the focus. For example the slave escaped but just close to the town, it's more symbolic than realist. The human camp just close to Orc patrol and cutting woods, no realism just symbolic. The bag of arms collected by Orcs but they let any human get them, even if they have no use of them it's not what I name realistic.

EDIT2: About realism in Gothic 3 well it's not the focus. For example the slave escaped but just close to the town, it's more symbolic than realist. The human camp just close to Orc patrol and cutting woods, no realism just symbolic. The bag of arms collected by Orcs but they let any human get them, even if they have no use of them it's not what I name realistic.

Realistic up to a point. You could name things in the game that weren't realistic all day long. Like sleep, fatigue, carrying tons of weapons and equipment. If they implemented all that it wouldn't make the game harder, it would make it impossible and boring. However, getting as close to real life without making it boring is a fine line. I think Gothic 3 finally found that line with this latest patch. A few other games have pulled it off. Startrail and Gothic 1 & 2 would be good examples of realistic in a fun way.

Who's here use companion on a regular base in Gothic 3?

Get out of abstract analysis and test it by using all time a companion and then now come comment.

Who's here use companion on a regular base in Gothic 3?

Get out of abstract analysis and test it by using all time a companion and then now come comment.

Why would we analyse anything so plain - and even if anyone should bother, why would it need to be abstract? Makes no sense.

No one claims the companion system is perfect or wonderful. It's simply more challenging and arguably more realistic now than before, and evidently most of us prefer this implementation.

I've been playing for quite a while with the new patch - and it continues to impress.

I'm getting to the point where I'm considering it a masterpiece.

It takes a broken game, fixes it, adds numerous key features, and finally applies enough polish to make the whole experience seem cohesive and fully consistent.

It's like the near-tragedy of Gothic 3 never happened.

Amazing.

Damn, you people make me wish I had time for gaming these days...
Could anyone with winXP sp2 + 2GB of ram give us his experience on
the improved stability (i.e Wheres_the_guru errors gone?)

Why would we analyse anything so plain - and even if anyone should bother, why would it need to be abstract? Makes no sense.
Are you using the companion on a regular base? Obviously not, test first and comment second.

It's like the near-tragedy of Gothic 3 never happened.
Nice for you, for me it's a patch for G3 fans not for those who dislike it.

The G3 killing flaw is the click feast during fights and nothing is fixed, at least against humanoids. Despite all the sweat put here, it's almost the same old G3 crap.

The G3 killing flaw is the click feast during fights and nothing is fixed, at least against humanoids. Despite all the sweat put here, it's almost the same old G3 crap.
[/QUOTE]

I don't understand this comment.

Have you played it with alternative balancing and new a.i components enabled? I play with hard difficulty setting and got my ass seriously kicked when I tried liberatin cape dunn too early. Even the arena fights are really difficult now.

Hmmm.... my main rig is XP 64; better not try the patch. Everything else I have runs perfectly!!

Why the Hero is neutral?? He is human, has no special tattoo, pass or badge, I wonder how Orcs would see him as neutral. At least at the beginning.

Neither do the mercs, rebels, slaves, or civilians. As far as I can tell.

Well do you use companions regularly ie most often in G3? Don't lie... I bet not or you'll see the pain it becomes to manage.

Yes, I do use them regularly. What I don't do is have them tagging along everywhere I go. I dismiss them when I don't need them.

EDIT: But ok fine I disabled the AB option and let the advanced IA options and well that's better. At this point I feel not sure that it's a clear improve for animals fighting and for humanoids I regret they don't disable the click feast but I feel that they slow down the action so better for me, but I'm not sure as I don't see that in changes list.

That's why they left it in -- AB for hardcore RPG'ers who want a challenge and think that it's silly to have character development that lets the character become God in all skills, regular balancing for the munchkins who want to do just that and enjoy the feeling of mowing through masses of orcs without having to put a single point in swordfighting or strength. I'm glad we know which camp you're in, kinda.

Games are about suspension of disbelief. That happens if the world the game creates is internally consistent -- that is, it obeys the rules it sets for itself. Of course, with the current state of the art, even the most realistic and consistent of worlds demand pretty huge leaps of the imagination to paper over the cracks -- but in my book, anything that makes things more consistent is an improvement.

Back
Top Bottom