KoA: Reckoning - Gameplay Preview @ G4TV

hmm, this game is starting to get interesting. Skyrim "light" may be?

similar skill sets (I see 9 in the video), fairly long talent tress, different gods (aka birth signs), destiny(perks?). Also has basic crafting...

Still not sure if its complete open world since in some places the mini map seems to indicate "paths" alas Bio style.

NPC have quest markers on top of their heads, not sure how I feel about this...

I still think the actual gameplay parts looks like World of Warcraft with upgraded graphics. I don't think that's a bad thing, though.

Salvatore is a terrible writer. I downloaded an e-book of his on a whim and was astounded at the juvenile level of his writing. Taking a pre-existing D&D universe and writing 800 hack novels based in it does not a good writer make. So that aspect doesn't do anything for me.

The other guess I have is that with the extreme level of flashiness shown here, I am going to bet that the variety in the world will be extremely limited. I'm thinking 12 kinds of re-skinned and re-colored orc-type creatures, and maybe another ten or so monsters total.

Still, it looks OK. It's been a long time since I played WoW and it could be fun to play something like that again.

I'm actually interested in this, think it will be a nice rpglite. Which isn't a bad thing at all. Salvatore isn't as bad as some of our esteemed writers on here make him out to be, he is what he is though...which is better then about 90% of the writers on CRPG's. It's also good that his first language is english, which will help in making a coherent story.

I will pick it up for chyts and giggles and who knows it might be very good...

He has had his strong moments though. "Homeland" is great little book. The followups aren't particularly special.

Heh. Homeland was the book of his that I tried out... Absolute dreck. Embarrassing to read. And again, he's just putting stories together based on someone else's ideas. I'm sure I won't convince anyone, but from what I read, it was one of the most poorly written things I've ever seen professionally published.

You should try reading some of his other books that are not set in the Forgotten Realms because they are better. The Demon Wars series is a much better example of his writing.

Someone who hates RA salvatore how edgy. It's pretty hard to write a book set in FR that isn't very bad. The only ones I really liked are the ones where it gets torn apart.

I like Salvatore. Good, light-weight reading. By far the most interesting in the Forgotten Realms. Ed Greendwood, the creator of Forgotten Realms, has some interesting books as well, but I'm generally not a huge fan of super powerful characters.

If I read Salvatore books now I will think of them are utter crap. However when I first read them back in the day(!) I loved them. Same applies to David Eddings et el!

So I don't mind Salvatore writing for "rpglite". It may even be a good thing provided they don't take them self too seriously.

I'll need a lot more details before I get excited. So far, it's just been flash but no substance. Time will tell. I'm not too highbrow to enjoy Salvatore's writing. I also enjoy Eddings. You wanna bore yourself to death? Try reading Steven Erikson. Whew! That dude is long-winded.

You wanna bore yourself to death? Try reading Steven Erikson. Whew! That dude is long-winded.

Totally true. He had some interesting ideas, but he writes like he purposely is making it difficult for the reader to understand what the hell he's talking about. I gave up around halfway through his first one (which was nearly incomprehensible), and around 3/4 through the second book, which was far, far better but ultimately dull.

And I'm not claiming to be a better writer than Savatore or anyone. Salvatore is a competent writer of Licensed Product® that he cranks out with the uniformity and regularity of an industrial hot dog extruder. It's the same thing as any of the 900 Star Trek novels or Harlequin Romances... Simple, expected Licensed Product®.

In my opinion it's not worth reading that stuff. I'm sure he will be competent at writing a WoW type video game, but having his name attached isn't some big plus for me.

Back
Top Bottom