Quantcast
BioWare - Christina Norman Leaves Bioware - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » BioWare - Christina Norman Leaves Bioware

Default BioWare - Christina Norman Leaves Bioware

June 23rd, 2011, 20:02
Our sources in the Bioware Social Forums has told us that Christina Norman, Lead Gameplay Designer for ME2, has left Bioware. Apparently she's been hitched - married. Here's a quote from the social forums over at Bioware, Chris Priestly says:
I removed Christina Norman from the Twitterinformation section as Christina has left BioWare (she recently got married and she and her husband moved away from Edmonton). You are still welcome to follow Chistina if you want (she is a very interesting person and a lot of fun on Twitter), but she isn't part of the Mass Effect or BioWare teams anymore, so I removed her info.
More information.

aries100

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

June 23rd, 2011, 20:02
People do complain about lack of women in gaming but it seems atleast bio have/had quite few female employee. I would guess Lead Designer is one of the top jobs…

lostforever

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

June 23rd, 2011, 21:03
Lead Gameplay Designer in ME2?
Sorry, but somehow I don't feel gaming community lost much. Best wishes to her in her new life, ofc.

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)

June 23rd, 2011, 21:13
Originally Posted by lostforever View Post
People do complain about lack of women in gaming but it seems atleast bio have/had quite few female employee. I would guess Lead Designer is one of the top jobs…
I'm pretty sure that you will usually find most female employees in the various art departments (animation, cinematics, level art, character art etc.) of a development studio.
Coding chicks, programmers, are probably rare but that would not seem to be too surprising given the lack of women's ability to think logically…

Moriendor

Spielkind

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

June 23rd, 2011, 21:39
Originally Posted by Moriendor View Post
Coding chicks, programmers, are probably rare but that would not seem to be too surprising given the lack of women's ability to think logically…
Oh! Now you done it !

Drithius

Laughing Gnome

June 23rd, 2011, 21:57
Preston W. is and always been the Lead Designer for all the Mass Effect games. Christina has always worked in the art department at Bioware, ME2 being her first game as Lead Gameplay Designer. From the comments in the linked, it seems the Bioware community thinks she did a good job with ME2's gameplay being more accessible (not dumbed down that is) than ME1's.

And I think it is because most women think of others first e.g. they take their starting point in the gamer and build the gameplay experience around how it feels for the gamers playing the game, not (only) thinking logically and straightforward…
--
Please support http://www.maternityworldwide.org/ - and save a mother giving birth to a child.

aries100

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Team

June 23rd, 2011, 22:50
Best female game designer:

Linda Currie
: Co-Designer and the Level Designer on each Jagged Alliance product (Jagged Alliance, Jagged Alliance Deadly Games, Jagged Alliance 2, Jagged Alliance 2 Unfinished Business), Designer and Project Leader of Nemesis: The Wizardry Adventure, and finally Project Leader and a Co-Designer of Wizardry 8, recipient of Computer Gaming World's 2001 RPG of the Year award.

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
RPGWatch Team
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

June 24th, 2011, 00:14
Originally Posted by aries100 View Post
And I think it is because most women think of others first e.g. they take their starting point in the gamer and build the gameplay experience around how it feels for the gamers playing the game, not (only) thinking logically and straightforward…
Weaving theories through confirmation bias I see.
--
Mankind must put an end to war or war will put an end to mankind. - John F Kennedy
An eye for an eye, and soon the whole world is blind. - Mahatma Gandhi
The world is my country. To do good is my religion. My mind is my own church. This simple creed is all we need to enjoy peace on earth. - Thomas Paine

JemyM

Okay, now roll sanity.

Send a message via ICQ to JemyM Send a message via MSN to JemyM

June 24th, 2011, 00:56
ME2 is one of my personal favourite and I think she did good job as lead designer I wish her best of luck with her new life.
--
Favourite RPGs: Baldur's Gate II, Icewind Dale I, The Aielund Saga, Stardew Valley

purpleblob

Princess

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

June 24th, 2011, 08:04
slow news day?
--
Favourite RPGs of all time: Wizardry 6, Ultima 7/7.2, Fallout2, Planescape Torment, Baldurs Gate 2+TOB, Jagged Alliance 2, Ravenloft: The stone prophet, Gothic 2, Realms of Arkania:Blade of destiny (not the HD version!!) and Secret of the Silver Blades.

bjon045

Keeper of the Watch

June 24th, 2011, 09:29
Originally Posted by joxer View Post
Lead Gameplay Designer in ME2?
Sorry, but somehow I don't feel gaming community lost much. Best wishes to her in her new life, ofc.
My thoughts exactly.

srabuseen

Watcher

June 24th, 2011, 12:42
When I learned programming myself, all 3 women in my "programming class" were the best of all in the whole class !

By the way, do you know the Silicon Sisters ?
--
“ Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction.“ (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

June 24th, 2011, 13:33
Designers are not programmers (sometime they cross but these days that seems very rare) and designers have more say on game design(!) that affect us players.

I did not think may woman were involved even with game design stage, not because they are not capable but rather due to lack of interest/opportunities.

lostforever

SasqWatch

June 24th, 2011, 14:30
The graphics department usually a strong "women's thing" in dev studios, as far as I know.
--
“ Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction.“ (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

June 24th, 2011, 14:32
Originally Posted by Alrik Fassbauer View Post
When I learned programming myself, all 3 women in my "programming class" were the best of all in the whole class !

By the way, do you know the Silicon Sisters ?
I have met plenty of men who couldn't reason logically if their life depended upon it and women with sharp and in-penetrable logic demolishing their weakly prepared opponents.

Men who claim women are illogical often displays their own shortcomings.
Women who claim women are illogical displays a defense mechanism.

Logic is hard. That said, I do look down upon the men who claim to be logical when they clearly aren't, and I am sad with females who believe they are illogical and end up with a self-fulfilling prophecy.
--
Mankind must put an end to war or war will put an end to mankind. - John F Kennedy
The world is my country. To do good is my religion. My mind is my own church. This simple creed is all we need to enjoy peace on earth. - Thomas Paine

JemyM

Okay, now roll sanity.

June 24th, 2011, 14:37
Originally Posted by lostforever View Post
Designers are not programmers (sometime they cross but these days that seems very rare) and designers have more say on game design(!) that affect us players.

I did not think may woman were involved even with game design stage, not because they are not capable but rather due to lack of interest/opportunities.
Expectations tend to reproduce certain behavior. When expectations change, so do the behavior. When it was decided that "women do not play games, so we do not need to market our games to women", the market also locked away large potential markets that successes like The Sims and WII Fit shown to be huge. Many AAA-developers have been poorly served by their marketing bureaus who tend to run on assumptions rather than potential.
--

JemyM

Okay, now roll sanity.

June 24th, 2011, 14:45
If you've ever driven a car in heavy traffic, you should know most women can't think logically

DArtagnan

Mentioned: Post(s)

June 24th, 2011, 15:03
Originally Posted by JemyM View Post
Expectations tend to reproduce certain behavior. When expectations change, so do the behavior. When it was decided that "women do not play games, so we do not need to market our games to women", the market also locked away large potential markets that successes like The Sims and WII Fit shown to be huge. Many AAA-developers have been poorly served by their marketing bureaus who tend to run on assumptions rather than potential.
I agree with you on this. I know some pretty intelligent women who are just simply not interested in games or programming etc since from young age they were not expected to be interested in these types of activity. However if they put their minds to it, they can be good as any male gamer or programmer.

lostforever

SasqWatch

June 24th, 2011, 15:10
Originally Posted by DArtagnan View Post
If you've ever driven a car in heavy traffic, you should know most women can't think logically
I have theory about this (properly wrong!) why men are better/logical drivers than woman.

Men in general drives more than women hence they are better experienced/logical drivers. Why? getting drivers license and getting your first car is rite of passage for a man. It shows (to women and to lesser extent other men) that you are a "man" now. What is the first things guys do when they get a car? they take their "girl friends" for spin! Its basically another mating ritual!

This is why men drivers more than women hence better experienced than women. Women in general drive less since they get men to drive them around!

lostforever

SasqWatch

June 24th, 2011, 15:27
Women are cool.

DeepO

deep outside

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » BioWare - Christina Norman Leaves Bioware