Days Gone on PC

Unless a company throws me a benefit for pre-ordering I don't generally do it. Even then, it's gotta be good incentive. Otherwise I may as well wait for initial word of mouth, the same money gets spent in either case.

In my case, the incentive was a 20% off coupon at Green Man Gaming. At $40, I'm not risking much, and I've seen enough of the port to believe it's going to be well optimized for PC.

28 Minutes of Days Gone PC Gameplay

I'm about 3 hours in, and the port seems really good so far. It looks and runs great.

As far as the game itself, it's just "ok" so far.

I also played a little bit. It's pretty decent. I tried it a long time ago on PS4, but the aiming made it unplayable for me. On PC the aiming is good, no more aiming issues. And it looks and runs great.

But I'm playing on Hard II, so I'm quite vulnerable. And I just died and found out they didn't improve the save system at all from the console version. You can trigger "Save game" from the menu, but it does nothing. Any reload you do with those saves and it just restarts you from the last checkpoint. What a shitty implementation. And I just quit the game. I don't think I have the patience for this save system right now.

It's got the same save system of Last of Us, but the only difference this is an openworld game. So let me get this straight. I explore the open world, save anywhere or time I like, but upon reload I just get back to the last checkpoint? What a crock of shit!

I think these two are at the top of my list when it comes to shitty things console games do, and aren't fixed when ported over to pc. Shitty aiming and a shitty checkpoint save system.

Yeah, I finally managed to kill most of the zombies at the gas station, so I started tossing molotovs into the improvised zombie nests. And I died again, and start back from the checkpoint. Infuriating. With the character's clunky movement and my missing shots, I just died. I may need to restart the game at a lower difficulty.

The game kinda sends a weird message. You get XP by killing zombies, but you can't kill them all, without risking dying and starting over from scratch. Also, what kind of balancing did they do to the zombies. You kill them in 1 hit by stealth kill. But with a knife/bat/piece of wood it takes 6-8 hits. Wtf.

So.. about the save system. You can't do true manual saves until you've recovered your bike. Once you've got your bike, it acts like a kind of save point. You can do manual saves near it as long as you're not engaged in combat.

The game kinda sends a weird message. You get XP by killing zombies, but you can't kill them all, without risking dying and starting over from scratch. Also, what kind of balancing did they do to the zombies. You kill them in 1 hit by stealth kill. But with a knife/bat/piece of wood it takes 6-8 hits. Wtf.

You chose the hardest difficulty for your first playthrough, so I don't get what you're complaining about here. It should be hard to kill them by melee. Of course a stealth kill is going to be 1 hit. If it wasn't, it wouldn't be a stealth kill. You can only do stealth kills when it's a lone Freaker anyways.

You chose the hardest difficulty for your first playthrough, so I don't get what you're complaining about here. It should be hard to kill them by melee. Of course a stealth kill is going to be 1 hit. If it wasn't, it wouldn't be a stealth kill. You can only do stealth kills when it's a lone Freaker anyways.

Yeah, normally I'd have no issue with the difficulty. If I could save anytime, and not have to redo everything. But this kind of makes me want to go back and switch to a different one. Also, 6-8 hits still seems kind of insanely long to have to hit the lowest form of zombie.

Indeed once you unlock the bike it works as you say. But this means, unless I'm mistaken, that you can't save mid-mission? So I'm still stuck with the same design.

Another thing I don't like is that once I'm on a mission, I can't leave the mission area? So much for being an open-world game.

Things I like, it looks pretty and runs very smooth.

Also, is it me or does Deacon constantly mumble under his breath, and I constantly miss what he's saying, either to himself, or to the one present but without wanting to him to hear?

Another thing, is this the first game where you can kill kids? But they're not kids, they're zombie kids? Is that the loop-hole here? :lol:

EDIT: Seems there is a time-slowing ability later on. That should come in handy a lot. So I think I should at least continue at this difficulty level until I unlock that ability, and see how it goes from there.

Last edited:
Yeah, the "You're leaving the mission area" messages are really annoying sometimes, and it will actually teleport you back to the beginning of the area if you stray too far. That's the only real issue I have with the game so far.

I think the voice acting in general is pretty good. I'm still early in the game, but I haven't heard anyone yet that seemed out of place. I also like that Deacon will comment on random things in the world but only often enough that it doesn't become annoying.

He plays Deacon very low-key, but is also not monotonous. He's ok so far. I find I sometimes can't tell if he's having a monologue, or if he's talking to someone. I remember one case in particular, where only afters I think I realized he walking to himself.

I finished my first 2 proper missions, and also cleared the gas station (the four nests of infected). But something weird happened afterwards, while I was getting the items from the cleared nests. He mentions he spotted a sniper. I didn't see any. Then I walked outside, and for a split second I saw a laser target, but couldn't make out the direction it was coming from. After that I didn't see him anymore. I tried climbing the neighbouring hills but found no one. For a second I thought I saw a scope glint, but nothing.

The wolves in particular are an annoyance for me. Once they helped in that they killed some infected, but then moved onto me.

But the most annoying this is the frequency with which either the zombies are spawned or how fast they move and detect you. I cleared a camp for an objective, and couldn't be left in peace to do a double take and also take all the leftover items. 1-2 zombies kept showing up. I find them very annoying.

Starting to really enjoy exploring and clearing out places. I just cleared the sawmill, which had 6 freaker nests. Took some micromanaging, but I got it done. Not really sure if this works, but I've been exploiting the save on bike feature. Meaning, clearing out most of the freakers, and then going to the bike. And I'm not if it really works, since I haven't died yet, but just to make sure. I wish the game were more specific into what saving in various places means. Does saving on the bike also save the world state, as in the enemies I killed, or just the items I've got?

I think I also stumbled onto a bug which saved my ass. I cleared one of the NERO outpots, and there was a horder (or seemed like it) nearby. So, I couldn't cut the speaker system before getting into the outpost. (had to climb over the outpost to reach the fuel system). So once I opened the outpost, the speaker system went online and attracted all freakers. But they didn't enter the outpost. And once I got out, they were everywhere, and even though I tried, I couldn't reach my bike.

So, I had to reload back in the outpost, and when I again got out, expecting to again see the same freakers all around, they were nowhere to be seen. It's either that the spawning system is bugged, or something else happened. So that encounter didn't really feel earned.

I reached the camp in Hot Springs, and call me impressed. I really liked the characters there. Especially Tucker. Really liked her style. And I got my first decent weapons.

But man, the randomly generated enemies across the map are a pain in the ass. I really want to not use fast travel, but I constantly get snippers spawned across my way, and they're almost always pin-point in their accuracy, and just snipe me from across valleys I ride through. And then, I think the game spawns enemies right near me, because there's no way they can get close to me so fast. It's really annoying.

This game is boring af, though white points for the good port.

Back
Top Bottom