CD Projekt RED - Hiring for New Open World Game - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » CD Projekt RED - Hiring for New Open World Game

Default CD Projekt RED - Hiring for New Open World Game

September 22nd, 2021, 13:12
Gamerant has spotted a job offer suggesting another game in preparation.

CD Projekt Red Hiring for New Open World Game

[…]

While Cyberpunk 2077 reportedly continues to display major issues even following the recent 1.3 update, CD Projekt Red seems to be working on a new project rumored to be an open world RPG. A recently posted job listing seeks an individual with previous open world development experience to "fill [CD Projekt Red's] game world with believable and exciting content consisting of communities and events that players will encounter."

It is unlikely that the project is related to Cyberpunk 2077, as CD Projekt has previously put out job listings openly seeking hires for Cyberpunk-associated projects and improvements. Whatever this project is, it is currently surrounded by secrecy. Fans, of course, hope that the mysterious open world title might be the long-awaited The Witcher 4, which may follow Ciri's journey following the ostensible retirement of series protagonist Geralt at the end of Wild Hunt. Representatives for CD Projekt RED had previously reported that the title was in very early development, although a release date prior to the year 2025 was not anticipated.

[…]

More information.

Redglyph

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)

September 22nd, 2021, 13:23
Good news as despite Cyberpunk 2077s botched launch I still love playing their games. Just don't rush development and don't share info till it's ready this time.

I hope it's a new customizable protag in the Witcher or Cyberpunk 2077 universe.
--
“Opinions are like assholes, everybody's got one and everyone thinks everyone else's stinks.”

Couchpotato

Professional Shitposter

Mentioned: 138 Post(s)
+1:

September 22nd, 2021, 13:41
So they are really ditching and burying Cyberpunk! No proper free or paid DLC or expansions, just still fixing things.

SpoonFULL

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)

September 22nd, 2021, 13:49
Originally Posted by SpoonFULL View Post
So they are really ditching and burying Cyberpunk! No proper free or paid DLC or expansions, just still fixing things.
Cyberpunk 2077 will continue to get patched and the first paid expansion size DLC is still in development. So yeah more content has been confirmed on the developer streams.

My guess is the new projects are still in the early development phase. This is standard industry procedure. Finish a game and move a small team to start other projects.

CDPR did the same with Witcher III.
--
“Opinions are like assholes, everybody's got one and everyone thinks everyone else's stinks.”

Couchpotato

Professional Shitposter

September 22nd, 2021, 14:34
Interesting. Wonder what it'll be?

I wouldn't mind more Witcher games, and I wouldn't even mind if they featured Geralt. I really like the Witcher lore and world.
--
Exitus acta probat.

wiretripped

Machiavellian
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

September 22nd, 2021, 14:37
A Witcher game might be risky. I'm interested on what they can do with a new idea/setting, and a non-rushed release post Covid times.

Nereida

Fallen Aasimar

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)

September 22nd, 2021, 14:44
Originally Posted by Nereida View Post
A Witcher game might be risky. I'm interested on what they can do with a new idea/setting, and a non-rushed release post Covid times.
A new setting/IP would be welcome but based on their development history they only work with established IP's. Though I would never rule out an original IP it's not likely.

Also all the talk about Ciri being the protag of the next Witcher is just just based off old comments with no substance. So no I don't foresee that happening either at any point.
--

Couchpotato

Professional Shitposter

September 22nd, 2021, 16:03
Here we go again:
Originally Posted by Morrandir View Post
I'd be fine with a new Witcher series in 10 years or something.

Rise of the Witcher Order: Geralt as the only remaining Witcher revives the Witcher schools with the help of Ciri who after 20 years of reigning in Nilfgaard is fed up with politics.
You play as one of the new Witcher aspirants with full character customization.
--
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
- George Bernard Shaw

Currently playing: Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous

Morrandir

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)

September 22nd, 2021, 16:34
I wonder if CDPR is also planning on doing what Bethesda has been doing for the past 20 years, namely just building on the same engine and keeps piling on the cruft of old experiences. I wonder how much clean-up and stabilization they do between projects, just to keep their code-base healthy and manageble, if they do plan on reusing that code. I hope they're thinking about that, and not just about how to release a new game.

About what the game could be, personally I'm a lot less hyped for the Cyberpunk setting than I was initially, and not just because of the state of the game. I think I had a completely different idea of what I'd like in a cyberpunk setting. I think I'd've liked more of a Blade Runner setting, in place of this multi-color circus we see with CP2077. So personally, I think I'd like maybe a new setting. Maybe make their own original one, if they're feeling up to it.

danutz_plusplus

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)

September 22nd, 2021, 16:44
Originally Posted by danutz_plusplus View Post
About what the game could be, personally I'm a lot less hyped for the Cyberpunk setting than I was initially, and not just because of the state of the game. I think I had a completely different idea of what I'd like in a cyberpunk setting. I think I'd've liked more of a Blade Runner setting, in place of this multi-color circus we see with CP2077. So personally, I think I'd like maybe a new setting. Maybe make their own original one, if they're feeling up to it.
I love Cyberpunk. When I think of the genre, I still think primarily about Neuromancer and Gibson's other books, that sort of high tech, transhumanist noir mashup. CP 2077 wasn't that. It was advertisement riddled streets and gangs. They showed several things in their trailer (the kid playing a VR game, the woman with the caved in face, the weird dudes in the cab, etc) that hinted at a game I would have much preferred to play. There were bits and pieces of it, like Braindance, but imo they didn't go far enough or investigate enough of that sort of Cyberpunk. Too much punk, too little Cyber, perhaps.

JFarrell71

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)

September 22nd, 2021, 17:17
Originally Posted by JFarrell71 View Post
I love Cyberpunk. When I think of the genre, I still think primarily about Neuromancer and Gibson's other books, that sort of high tech, transhumanist noir mashup. CP 2077 wasn't that. It was advertisement riddled streets and gangs. They showed several things in their trailer (the kid playing a VR game, the woman with the caved in face, the weird dudes in the cab, etc) that hinted at a game I would have much preferred to play. There were bits and pieces of it, like Braindance, but imo they didn't go far enough or investigate enough of that sort of Cyberpunk. Too much punk, too little Cyber, perhaps.
Couldn't have said it better myself.

danutz_plusplus

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)

September 22nd, 2021, 17:36
Count me as another bloke that's very curious as to what will come out of this future offering. I've not purchased Cyberpunk yet, might get around to doing that in the next year or so.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)

September 22nd, 2021, 17:43
Originally Posted by Couchpotato View Post
Cyberpunk 2077 will continue to get patched and the first paid expansion size DLC is still in development. So yeah more content has been confirmed on the developer streams.

My guess is the new projects are still in the early development phase. This is standard industry procedure. Finish a game and move a small team to start other projects.

CDPR did the same with Witcher III.
Yep, DLCs, and weren't there rumours that they would add multiplayer? That was from people who datamined the last updates, so FWIW.

Haven't bought it yet anyway, maybe in a few years.

Redglyph

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)

September 22nd, 2021, 18:18
Originally Posted by Redglyph View Post
Yep, DLCs, and weren't there rumours that they would add multiplayer? That was from people who datamined the last updates, so FWIW.
It was a lot more than a rumor. CDPR themselves said they would be doing multiplayer, though not as a mode for the existing game. It was supposed to be a separate (though obviously highly related) project.

Who knows at this point, though, after the botched launch and the lawsuits and the etcetera.

JFarrell71

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
+1:

September 22nd, 2021, 18:31
I enjoyed Cyberpunk 2077 a whole lot, despite the bugs from when I played it on PC at release. I also enjoyed Witcher 3 a whole lot. As long as it's a single-player RPG with a focus on story/characters/environment, I'm more than interested in what CD Projekt Red does.

NFLed

Keeper of the Watch

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

September 22nd, 2021, 19:43
What in the article gave you that impression?

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 114 Post(s)

September 22nd, 2021, 19:47
Originally Posted by NFLed View Post
I enjoyed Cyberpunk 2077 a whole lot, despite the bugs from when I played it on PC at release. I also enjoyed Witcher 3 a whole lot. As long as it's a single-player RPG with a focus on story/characters/environment, I'm more than interested in what CD Projekt Red does.
I'd be down for another Witcher game, but I think I'd rather it be an entirely new character.

I keep seeing speculation about Ciri being the protagonist, but I hope speculation is all that ever ends up being.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 114 Post(s)

September 22nd, 2021, 20:23
Yeah, this was just a techno FPS. Nowhere near the amazing atmosphere of true cyberpunk RPG Neuromancer!
--
SSI Gold Box-style game, we are working on.

mercy

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)

September 22nd, 2021, 20:34
Originally Posted by Redglyph View Post

Haven't bought it yet anyway, maybe in a few years.
Yep as mentioned they cancelled the MP version but intend to incorporate it somehow in a future update. There are also more free DLC's, and two large expansions.
--

Couchpotato

Professional Shitposter

September 22nd, 2021, 20:57
Originally Posted by mercy View Post
Yeah, this was just a techno FPS. Nowhere near the amazing atmosphere of true cyberpunk RPG Neuromancer!
Did you say Techno?
I'm in!
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 223 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » CD Projekt RED - Hiring for New Open World Game