SpellForce 2: FiD - First Review

Ah but then you wont know who some of the npc's are since they appear in all games. Especially the shadow master who was the main hero in two of the expansions. I loved his story and his fight against destiny.

It wont hurt a new player to play the first three since it only cost $5-10 for the platinum version. I consider it money well spent since you get over 100 hrs of enjoyment.

That's something modern games cant give you.

Even though Spellforce 2 has never really been off my computer I only ever played Spellforce 1 briefly way back when and never any of the expansions for it, maybe it's time to pick up the platinum version from GOG and go prequel with it.

I liked playing the first and the second game - it's not that mainstream, that the community is bad or something, but also not that unknown, that nobody knows what you mean by talking about it ^^
for me it's a game where i can enjoy playing 100% ;)

Just a heads up: GamersGate often has SpellForce Universe for real cheap.

**a few minutes later after looking into this more**

Apparently SFU is no longer available at GG. They have a new Complete pack that contains FiD, and both FiD and the Complete pack are on sale. Also, (1) Platinum and (2) Gold are on sale separately. However, none of these sales are very good, and I'd just wait until they had another proper one. I swear, I bought SFU for less than they list either Platinum or Gold right now.

Bought SpellForce 2 yesterday, quite nice so far. Like many people i had problems getting i to run on Win7 x64 though, but eventually i got it to start (no idea what made it work, might have been a patch that Steam applied after i restarted it).

I was surprised how well they had blended in the RTS aspect. A rather shallow but fun game, will buy SpellForce 2: FiD if it holds up..

Oh, it holds up. Force yourself to use the Click 'n' Fight system instead of relying on standard RTS controls.

One of the best things about the Spellforce games for me, and the reason that I was initally attracted to the game, is the ability to get down into 3rd person view. It's pretty exciting to get down into a huge RTS battle in 3rd person view, and actually turn the tide of the battle.

It's a really fun an unique RTS series. I need to play Dragonstorm, I never got around to that expansion. When it first came out it wasnt readily available, and was supposedly buggy as hell. Now it's cheap on GOG, and supposedly good to go.

A word of caution: one thing to watch out for, and you may want to see if this was addressed in any patching, is that non-melee characters tended to suck later on in the game.

I made the mistake of making a primarily ranged character, and got very little in the way of good drops and equipment, and had a really hard time later in the game on some of the rpg-style missions where it was just me and my immediate cadre of companions.

I started another game as primarily melee, and it was a pretty significant difference when it came to drops and effectiveness in battle.

Loved the original and bought all the expansions. That amounts to literally hundred hours of gameplay. So loooong. And that ARPG/RTS mix shouldn't work but somehow it does.

Didn't like Spellforce 2 though. Too 'streamlined'. Lost all the charm of the original.

Back
Top Bottom