Thief 4 - Stealth Gameplay Demo

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
He ticked off a guard that wasn't alone and died horribly. A good sign.

Last edited:
This game looks horrible.

Darkness is green instead of black? Check!
It is conventional. A legacy from modern times. The avatar seems to have a kind of night vision (increased sight at least) and the used colours refer to the colours used in night vision googles.
Guard AI seems completely broken and unresponsive? Check!
Evertyhing looks so heavily scripted. Hard to think that there is a guard AI (acting both on individual and collective level) actually.
Stupid HUD elements, wheel menus and crap everywhere? Check!

No longer trial and error puzzle-platform style gameplay? Check.
As they introduced a flash signal to tell the player anytime an action on the environment is possible, trial and error puzzle platform style gameplay was not in their plans.

The visuals and atmosphere seem nice, but there were a couple of things in the video that caught my eye.

1. I don't like the visual cues floating above the guards. So now when a guard is suspicious, it's actually going to say "suspicious" in big white letters next to his head? Um…ok.

2. XP for killing guards? Why?

There also seems to be a significant amount of hand-holding. Too many highlighted things for my taste. Hopefully we'll be able to toggle that kind of stuff in the menu.

Reboot of a mythical game from the past growing big expectations. Ten years since the last episode. They are killing the expectations with a marketing strategy. The mechanics shown in this alpha footage are so rough they can only improve on them. It is not even sure there is a guard AI: one NPC reacted to an attack, the other attacked the PC coming into sight. Nothing than very classical AI NPC, which shows nothing specifical to NPC tasked with guarding.

The next sequence of videos will include visible improvements over the rough mechanics shown in this one.

Players will be so glad of it they will no longer compare the incoming game with their expectations born of the reboot of a mythical series. They will compare to this alpha footage and breath in relief when they see the large improvements shown by the incoming versions.

It will work.

Hopefully we'll be able to toggle that kind of stuff in the menu.

That was my thought the whole time ... when I die terribly I want it to be because of my stupidity rather than failing to see the 101 blaring signals ...

Sad to say, but there is no hope whatsoever, that we'll get a Thief game (Let alone a good Thief game). The best we can hope for at this point is a competent Dishonored clone.

From what I've read "between the lines" - this sounds pretty awful.

But I have to say that video looked pretty good - even though combat seemed extremely forgiving. Usually demos are like that - but since he died at the end, it might have been an example of gameplay as it will be in release.

That's not good.

But I think the visuals are great.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom