Android Emulators?

D

Deleted User

Hey everyone. :)

I am looking into getting an Android device, specifically, the Nvidia Shield Portable. I am interested in running Android emulators on the tablet and am wondering how they fare for RPGs? Does anyone have any reviews or reports for how most of the games run on Android?

I am curious because I have a PSP (old-school!) and it has trouble running Nintendo 64 and beyond emulators (although the PS1 and other old-school systems run fine!). I'm wondering if the Shield will be able to run say, a PSP emulator at 100% speed with no issues for most of the PSP RPGs I'm interested in, as well as PS1 games.

I know this is a somewhat obscure question, but any tips or reviews from some of you who have successfully (or unsuccessfully) ran Android emulators would be great. Please let me know! :)

I haven't tried it, but emulation usually relies upon sheer CPU power, which isn't the strong point of the ARM chips you find in Nvidia's Shield. Could be good enough for PS1 games, but I'd want to check with someone who's tested it.

I was interested in the Ppsspp emulator, as well as whatever PS1 emulators exist. The idea is to play all those games that I previously had on my PSP on the Shield Portable, thus making it an official upgrade for me.

Android freeware emulator on PC is Bluestacks.
Whatever I tried on it worked flawlessly.
It doesn't support doubletap though (TBH never tried with two mice) unless your monitor is also a touchscreen.

Well I can tell you that using ePSXe and RetroArch on the Shield runs even better than using a Vita. (Diablo 1 on tablet FTW!). I haven't tried any PSP games.

I had a Nexus 7 first gen before, didn't run so well.

This is using the Shield Tablet though (K1), not the Shield Portable (Tegra4)

I see. I take it the Tablet itself is a bit more powerful than the portable?

Either way, it's reassuring to see that they run flawlessly on the tablet. Can't wait to check it out! I ordered the Shield Portable and a 64 gb micro sd card to load with games. Should be fun! :)

Tablet is probably the most powerful out there at the moment, along with the Nexus 9. plus it's a great tablet in general, except battery life is so-so. The portable was the previous generation nVidia chipset but should still work great for emulation.

For this being my first Android device, I'm really excited by it. Not only is the Portable a tablet, it's obviously a beast of a gaming device as well. I will also utilize Nvidia's game streaming service to play many of my Steam games on the Tablet. Should be great! Just hoping that most of the PSP emulation works great, so I can officially retire the PSP for now. :)

I became somewhat of an expert on Android

The first concern is ARM architecture - it is vastly different from x86. The official emulators will run extremely slow, however if you PC is Intel they have drivers for it now. AMD has them now too but only for Linux boxes for some dumb reason.

I used to use Virtual Box but never got the sound to work - which they say is pretty common.

Xamarin has an emulator and there's another one out there that requires you to be logged in to the internet all the time.

Hey, are you guys familiar with either Tincore or GameKeyboard+ controller mapping app for Android? Basically, I'd like to be able to map keyboard controls to my Shield controller on the Shield using this app, and am wondering if it's indeed possible to do this. I would like to remap keys such as I, C, W A S D, etc., to buttons and controls on the controller. Any tips here? Would love to get Drakensang and River of Time, among others, working well with a controller on the Shield. :)

Back
Top Bottom