Feargus Urquhart - Next-Gen Game "Already Looking Great"

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Following the news posted yesterday about Obsidian's new game Eurogamer has a brief interview with Feargus Urquhart.
According to Obsidian's job vacancies (noticed yesterday by OXM), that 'something big' in development is a "unique next-generation game" or an "unannounced next-gen console title", depending on which advert you read. But the revelation of Obsidian working on next-gen console games isn't particularly surprising either - I expect most developers of its kind now are.

The recent job adverts weren't particularly revealing, although one mentioned "role-playing" and "action" in the same sentence. But, again, the idea of a next-gen console RPG containing action bits is about as likely to raise an eyebrow as I am wearing a dress.

Obsidian's blurb on LinkedIn only notes that the studio "also has other unannounced projects in the works". Obsidian cancelled a next-gen project in March last year, incidentally, laying off 20-30 staff, but how that project relates to this new one I don't know.

What is interesting, though, is the question of whether Obsidian's working on new IP or not - but it's a question Feargus Urquhart dodged when I asked it.

"Unfortunately, we can't really talk about what we are working on, but it is already looking great," was what he wrote.

"As for the number of people at the studio, it's safe to say we are around 100. As for the split of people, we do have around 15 people working on Project Eternity and that will go up by a few in the few months.

"As for the other projects, it's a bit more complicated to explain exactly how many people we have on one project versus another."
More information.

Unfortunately you can't know if I took the arrow to the knee, but it already looks great.
Okay it doesn't look great bet lemme decide it for you.

We're definetly a sentence from Feargus that will be used in RPG.

I am glad Obsidian has work. I really wish they could become fully self sufficient, CDProjekt/Valve style, one day. Eternity is a step towards that, at least.

So many lines to convey exactly zero new information? Eurogamer must have money to burn...

"Only 15 people make Project Eternity and that team won't get too much bigger"

That is a little alarming. I'm just hoping this new trend to kickstarter everything doesn't make these companies lazy, because they already made a ton of money on something they haven't shipped yet.

4 million bucks for an 18 month project doesn't go very far if you get bloated with your design team…

4 million bucks for an 18 month project doesn't go very far if you get bloated with your design team…

Yea, but there is a lot more than design. There are writers, programmers, animators, graphic artists, sound etc. 15 people to make a modern game is extremely small.

I just hope it doesn't and up with the production quality of a indie game, because that not how it was represented or priced.

I just hope it doesn't and up with the production quality of a indie game, because that not how it was represented or priced.
It was priced exactly like an indie game should be. They didn't ask for or raise enough money for a traditionally published game.

I imagine something like Skyrim probably costs 100 million nowadays.

What? Now people are expecting AAA production value games from a few million buck kickstarters. Talk about out of touch / "entitled".

Back
Top Bottom