Horror adventure games

And because JDR says old-farts whatnot… I know one nonpointclick he didn't (dare) to play. FPS horror adventure is (Clive Barker's) Undying. I honestly despise FPS genre, and this game also has it's annoying part (a certain episode "above" tends to be boring as it's too long, the rest of the game is not like that), but I'm highly recommending it. Please, play it during the night, volume maxed and lights turned off. Do you dare? :)

I played Undying. Good game. In fact, I'd love to see that one show up at GOG, as it's not available in digital format anywhere right now afaik.

I liked Realms of the Haunting quite a bit as well. I enjoyed the first half of the game a lot more than the later parts. Imo, combat wasn't a strong point, and there was more of it in the latter stages.

The scariest game I've ever played was Fatal Frame 2 (didn't play 1) in the Playstation 2, by far. Had to sleep with the lights on when I played it at night.

I have a soft spot for this genre too, so good to hear others enjoying them and checking out what's out there.

One old-school SSI game which I thought of immediately that hasn't come up is Veil of Darkness.
http://www.mobygames.com/game/veil-of-darkness
Whilst I never finished it, there were some good tense moments when I played it years ago. Worth a look if you don't mind older games and the quasi Ravenloft setting.

I've still got the Penumbra series in my backlog, awaiting the right mood...

Barrow Hill: Curse of the Ancient Circle. A slightly Myst-like (in terms of controls) horror adventure game with a nice atmosphere.

The Cat Lady. I've not played this one, but it is apparently both very creepy and quite good as an adventure game.

Blindside. This is another one that I've not played, but I've been interested in trying it out. You play as a blind character, and the game is entirely audio-based, which to be frank sounds a lot more horrifying than most other horror games out there.

Ah, Barrow Hill. That's the one that made a big deal about using "real archaeological techniques", isn't it? It might be worth playing just to see what they think those are. :p

Gabriel Knight 3 is pretty good and has less random guesswork puzzles than in the first 2. I think I finished the entire game without a walkthrough.

I was very fond of Blackstone Chronicles - which is a horror-based MYST-like game.

Another game in the same genre is Morpheus - which was just fantastic, but wasn't pure horror. More like mystery with a bit of horror.

Realms of the Haunting is a classic and one of the best games ever made, but it hasn't aged all that well. Maybe it's just me - but there's too much shooting.

I second Waxworks - which is a personal favorite - and has a fantastic atmosphere in all the (very different) areas of the game. It's also got RPG elements.

Dead Space is more of a shooter than anything else, especially the sequel. But the first game has more tension and is definitely worth trying. I found DS2 to be too much action - but if you're into shooting a hell of a lot, then I guess that's not bad. The third game looks to be even MORE shooting, which is exactly the wrong direction for development, but it's EA - so that's to be expected.

I like Black Mirror a lot - and I'm actually still stuck in the playthrough I started about a year ago. I don't like using guides for my adventure games - but I really should get back to it. It's VERY good and has a wonderful classic sort of atmosphere.

Last edited:
What about Laura Bow ? But that's rather Mystery than Horror, isn't it ?

Ah, Barrow Hill. That's the one that made a big deal about using "real archaeological techniques", isn't it? It might be worth playing just to see what they think those are. :p

I do not remember, but I do remember that it was creepy.

Just grabbed Realms of the Haunting. Now I just need to set aside some time to play it. :p

Your loss. The save point system works perfectly for that type of game though. Being able to save anytime anywhere would be detrimental to the experience the same way it would be in a game like Dark Souls.

It does take a certain amount of twitch skills to enjoy though, and I can understand if that's the turn-off. Personally, I'm the exact opposite. I get very little thrill from the slower paced adventure-type horror games.

Yes Dead Space. What a great game. Play it in the dark with surround capable headphones.

Did someone call Scratches a modern FP perspective game? Hmmm....

Since you stated that you are not against trying an older game, I recommend "I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream". Not exactly horror, but a bit disturbing.

Have you tried The Walking Dead yet? I finally got around to trying it recently, and, although I've only played the first hour or so, it seems really good. I've also yet to hear a negative opinion on it. Not sure if it really qualifies as a horror game though.

I have a soft spot for this genre too, so good to hear others enjoying them and checking out what's out there.

One old-school SSI game which I thought of immediately that hasn't come up is Veil of Darkness.
http://www.mobygames.com/game/veil-of-darkness
Whilst I never finished it, there were some good tense moments when I played it years ago. Worth a look if you don't mind older games and the quasi Ravenloft setting.

Ah this was my first game after I bought my first PC in the 90's (A Pentium 75 MHz). It was great, wish there had been more games from this company using that engine.

Back
Top Bottom