• Open World

Votes: 28 36.4%
  • Other

Votes: 6 7.8%

• Total voters

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
Thanks to lackblogger, here is another poll, which in his own words has the following description:

If a new game is released which of the above primary descriptors gets you most likely to take further interest in the game? Yes, many of the categories can work well with each other and many are interchangeable, but first impressions are very important for busy people with limited free time and it's only human to apply filters to advertising bumf, it's amazing how quickly one can press the back button after just a few words! So which insta-grabber does it best for you? If none of the above, feel free to write your own in your post (such as Kickstarter or C&C etc).

I have to go with other as I prefer setting over style.

Most games with guns don't interest me at all.

It should let me vote on more than 1 as there's about... 4 or 5 that get my immediate attention about equally and the rest are just whatever.

It should let me vote on more than 1 as there's about… 4 or 5 that get my immediate attention about equally and the rest are just whatever.
That would be too easy :)

I'm all for immersion in my games, so looking at my favorite game, Gothic 2, I 'd have to say I'm more attracted to the "open world" (I know G2 wasn't completely open, but it was open enough) type games, with strong atmosphere, exploration, hand placed loot and action-y combat. :)

I'd tick storyrich, but there is no such option and I refuse to vote for "other" as it feels like going for nonRPG.

- Action-RPG - Diablo and clones have two sentences story
- Dungeon Crawler - Maybe but, why I can't remember one with a rich story?
- J-RPG - Comes close, but is it really rich or just fillerbased nonsense?
- Roguelike - rng means what story?
- Strategy RPG - why would this need any rich story
- Tactical RPG - same as above
- Open World - Skyrim story is… nonexistant

However and thanks to wiretripped who reminded me on Gothic. Plus there are also nonRPG openworlds with great stories and although everyone is talking about some breaking apart whatnot, in the end between options available I'll vote for that one.

My favorite kind of game is a crpg, one with quests, story, and exploration. But that's not an option, so I went back to lackblogger's description, and came surprisingly to dungeon crawler. Open world: often means lack of depth to me, there are also a lot of action games with this tag, and for me its neither positive or negative. SRPG and Tacticsrpg: Just a tactics or strategy game aren't enough if the rpg part doesn't play enough of a role. Action, Jrpgs, and roguelikes are even less interesting for me, though I'll buy ones that get good reviews. However, if something is labeled a dungeon crawler, I find myself actually almost always taking the time to look at the store page, because most dungeon crawlers have lots of pen and paper inspiration, and I really like making a party of complex characters.

I prefer to tell my own story within a loose framework, so open world is the easy choice for me.

3. What's your favourite category of RPG?

aRPG
jRPG
cRPG
Dungeon Crawler
Roguelike
Open World
Tactical

Opening post that describes the poll:

If a new game is released which of the above primary descriptors gets you most likely to take further interest in the game? Yes, many of the categories can work well with each other and many are interchangeable, but first impressions are very important for busy people with limited free time and it's only human to apply filters to advertising bumf, it's amazing how quickly one can press the back button after just a few words! So which insta-grabber does it best for you? If none of the above, feel free to write your own in your post (such as Kickstarter or C&C etc).

For what it's worth...

What's an example of a 'strategy RPG'?

No idea, it wasn't on my original list of suggestions (see previous post).

I looked up both Wasteland 2 and Baldur's Gate on Steam to see what their tags were and both had the Strategy tag, so I'm guessing it's something that's someone feels is a useful descriptor, even if they don't realise how confusing that might be to some to use the term for that type of game.

The words don't have to be tags, they can just be conversational, for example reading a post about a new game from someone that's just played it and whatever keywords they chose to describe it. Just which keywords make you investigate further really.

No idea, it wasn't on my original list of suggestions (see previous post).

I looked up both Wasteland 2 and Baldur's Gate on Steam to see what their tags were and both had the Strategy tag, so I'm guessing it's something that's someone feels is a useful descriptor, even if they don't realise how confusing that might be to some to use the term for that type of game.

The words don't have to be tags, they can just be conversational, for example reading a post about a new game from someone that's just played it and whatever keywords they chose to describe it. Just which keywords make you investigate further really.

"Addictive" :)

I am slowly enjoying kickstarter games more.

Back
Top Bottom