Legend of Grimrock - Weekly Update

Dhruin

SasqWatch
A short update from Almost Human this week that talks about their progress with the Legend of Grimrock editor in between their partying:
Wow, it seems like the Friday was here much quicker than usual! Quite possibly because on Tuesday we had the pagan festival called Vappu, or May Day, here in Finland. It’s a pretty, ahem, colorful event when folks tend to flock to parks and other public spaces to consume a non-trivial amount of alcohol. Pagan holidays are the best!
icon_smile.gif

Anyways, it’s been another week with a lot of miscellaneous things going on right now. We’ve been answering interviews, developing the level editor and a bunch of other crazy things. The level editor is progressing at a good pace and it’s looking pretty solid. One of our primary goals was to make a level editor that we ourselves would be happy to use and it’s very promising in that regard already. We’ve had to revisit and rethink some of our old ideas and code since we didn’t have a proper level editor ourselves during the development of the game but despite the extra work it’ll definitely be worth it in the end! Oh, and one more highlight that’s most definitely worth mentioning is that Legend of Grimrock was the overall most sold game on Steam for its first two weeks. That’s pretty awesome!! A big thank you to all of you again!

More information.

Great game! I recently finished it in Old School mode. I had forgotten my love-hate relationship with graph paper. I'm looking forward to the editor… I have a few ideas for my own levels.

For their next effort, rather than a sequel, I'd like to see Almost Human do something akin to Crusaders of the Dark Savant.

Nice, a level editor, exciting!
Well, maybe exciting isnt the word, but a good development nonetheless. I think that I am going to go graph paper next time around, I even went with the standard party this time because I just wanted to get in and play. I usually spend so much time agonizing over party/ char creation.

I bought this last night on a wine-addled whim and must say what a great buy for $15 US. Played for about an hour and of course am doing hard-core mode. I have missed my graph paper.

Also hardcore and there lies the graph paper :)

I'm glad to hear sales have gone well and looking forward to the editor / user-made dungeons.

I pre-ordered but still haven't had much chance to play due to a heavy work load lately. I think I might go old-school graph-paper style when I do though.

I think I might go old-school graph-paper style when I do though.

Be warned, mapping the 13 levels will turn a 15 hour game into a 40 hour game.
It was fun for the first few levels, but quickly became a chore… I was spending more time mapping than actually playing the game… and once you start, you can't switch to the automap without starting a new game. Still, I'm glad I finished it old-school, solved all puzzles without cheating, and found all treasure and secrets.

Two tips: Your characters will starve often until level 6, especially when you take your time mapping levels… hoard all food. Sometimes it's best to let them starve until you need to fight, then feed them.
Contrary to rumors, there are no illusionary walls, just hidden doors… I spent the whole game bumping every wall looking for secrets.

Thanks Vindicator for the heads-up on the time investment, and those two tips. I hadn't thought about how manual mapping would factor into the starvation problem before. Good food for thought. :)

Back
Top Bottom