Spellforce Universe - Review @ Strategy Informer

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Spellforce Universe is a collection of Spellforce: The Order of Dawn, Spellforce 2: Shadow Wars and Dragon Storm. Strategy Informer has kicked up a review of the bundle and the score is 8/10:
SpellForce’s RPG side is no Diablo II, and the RTS side is no WarCraft III, but together, they do quite well. It has a clever way of handling each game’s concepts; for example, the research for the RTS side of the game is handled through finding specific bits of loot in the RPG side. It’s not all rosy, though, as SpellForce’s effectiveness in both the RPG and RTS sides is hampered by a clunky interface, which often makes it difficult to determine which characters on-screen are yours. The maps are also very linear, with each area featuring only one pre-determined, and often long-winded path. Neither of the add-on packs fix these shortcomings, simply offering more of the same enjoyable, yet slightly flawed gameplay.
More information.

I got original spellforce 2: shadow wars bundled with my brand new 8800 back in the 2006. If you try to look at it critically, you may find it's a collection of complete crap, but this game is much better than just sum of its components. I even remember skipping a day of work once while playing it.

I got original spellforce 2: shadow wars bundled with my brand new 8800 back in the 2006. If you try to look at it critically, you may find it's a collection of complete crap, but this game is much better than just sum of its components. I even remember skipping a day of work once while playing it.

Any time you call off of work just to play a game there must be something special there. I really need to try out those Spellforce games someday.

i bought the platinum version when it came out a few years back and really enjoyed it the orginal was an awesome experience. i almost finished the 2nd exp, then skipped to the 2nd and then lost interest. played 2 not long after it came out and was good fun though not quite as good as the original. i finally picked up the universe version a few weeks back but after a few hours and much searching i kept getting crashes upon loading the first map AGGHHH!

I think JoWooD released a patch for SF2 a short time ago.

I picked this up a week ago and I'm currently near the end of the first game. Its not an amazing RPG or an amazing RTS but if you like both genres its a solid mix of elements from both.

Its not an amazing RPG or an amazing RTS but if you like both genres its a solid mix of elements from both.
Exactly. I just wish they had reduced the number of party only maps in SP2. Considering how light the RPG element was and that they point you to every quest completion with big, flashing dots and journal "how to's", those missions were mostly just too dull. Without the nice site seeing provided by the lush, lovely graphics and landscapes while running directly from point A to point B, some of them would have been close to unbearable. In fact, it was the claim for the expansion, Dragon Storm, that they were going to emphasize the RPG side even more that probably contributed the most to me never getting it.

Back
Top Bottom