Avowed - Announce Trailer

Is there more information somewhere? I don’t see anything in the trailer that makes me think it will be like Skyrim.

Anyway it will have to have a third person option or just be so good that I’m willing to tolerate first person melee.

Obsidian will probably slowly morph into another Bioware, a games developer with a great past, but now just a marketing tool for the name and to sell mediocre rpg games.

So basically any fantasy game with swords and magic is now a Skyrim clone. And any more modern game with guns and a sense of humor is a Fallout clone.

Why the fuck is this place so cynical, jesus. Less armchair quarterbacking simply for the lols.

A Skyrim clone likely being made with Unreal 4 Engine isn't what I was hoping for.
Me neither, but considering that the intervening game is Grounded (releasing in a few days), it's more than I was expecting, RPG-wise.
I liked Outer Worlds, so I'm cautiously optimistic. I won't have a proper opinion until we what the game actually looks like.

EDIT: My bad, Couch beat me to it and I missed reading it in this thread. Hard to be faster than Couch on news!

As for the game, is it Xbox only? Exclusive? Or just because posted on X-Box.

First person only … not a fan but seems to be a trend. Sucks. All old school games are going turn-based and all new games going first person. Bah :p

Also tired of trailers for games that tell you nothing about game play and don't really show you much either.

New DLC announced for OW … doesn't seem to be a news item for it yet though: https://www.polygon.com/2020/7/23/2...c-peril-on-gorgon-details-campaign-companions

Withholding all judgment at this early, early date, but the trailer did nothing for me. I'm fine with it being a 1st person ARPG, that's not it. It just didn't show me anything worth being excited about. And the 50 mile bow shot was weird.

Well it seems Obsidian is also finally releasing The Outer Worlds DLC.

In fact a second expansion was also hinted in the description.

Such a shame they're not making a sequel but whatever something else.

Such a shame they're not making a sequel but whatever something else.
It looks like a proper expansion though I don't see an estimate on its length. Still I know many gamers who wont go back, and play a game that hasn't been updated in months.

As for me I will play both expansions and hope for a sequel just to know what happened to Earth. My guess was something terrible happened without giving spoilers.
EDIT: My bad, Couch beat me to it and I missed reading it in this thread. Hard to be faster than Couch on news!
To much free time on my hands.
So basically any fantasy game with swords and magic is now a Skyrim clone. And any more modern game with guns and a sense of humor is a Fallout clone.

Why the fuck is this place so cynical, jesus. Less armchair quarterbacking simply for the lols.

The comments on YouTube are more hilarious though.:biggrin:

"Is an oath worth the weight of a crown?"
Bit corny! It makes no sense by itself, and doesn't inspire me to wonder why they said it.
I mean it doesn't connect - who reading this makes oaths or wears crowns? meh!

Looks like a cipher with a soul whip with a sword.

The combat will make or break it... 1st person RPG combat tends to be gimmicky / hard to pull off well. Skyrim was that way, but I still liked it.

(I wonder if they could make 1st person combat more detailed, where you direct the type of move and it carries it out: You can't perform a flowing crane manoeuvre with a mouse, but if you told the character to perform this manoeuvre or that, and it did it with good fidelity on the screen, well that would be cool!)

"Dang… It's pretty sad when Obsidian (makers of KOTOR2, F:NV, NWN2, PoE, OW) can't win over a crowd of RPG enthusiasts by giving away their newest games."

Where is this crowd of RPG enthusiasts? At RPGWatch, most of the time, there is just a group of whining, cynical asshats who make wild speculations and like to beat their virtual chests and pretend they have alpha balls and credentials when what they overall have is nitpicking commentary based on two minutes of footage…… which is par for the course here all too often.

Obsidian has had way more depth in its writing, stories and games than Bethesda ever has (Arena onward are action-rpgs not real rpgs)…… and yet people compare games to Skyrim and Fallout (?!?) which had zero depth regarding choices and consequences and were written at a 5th grade level throughout??? Are they fun open world shooters/sword-swingers with minimal lore and linear quests - yep…… but Obsidian has often blown them away (F:NV as just one example) by offering multiple solutions and paths.

What do we really know about this game? It's first person. It's open world. It's fantasy set in the Pillars' universe…… that's it. Yet Obsidian has often made far broader, deeper worlds than Bethesda ever has and has usually been limited by resources more than most (look what they did with F:NV on a short timeline)…. I'll give them some faith at this point since it was a few minutes of video…..

No Mutants Allowed, Rock, Paper, Shotgun, and now RPGWatch are becoming sad gathering places of a few vocal jerkoffs who immediately rip apart anything offered….. with a few exceptions like Drithius who nailed it with his observation.

Why thank you I'm proud to be a vocal whining cynical jerk-off asshat.

PeacefulCheeryIvorygull-size_restricted.gif

It's a compliment to me.:biggrin:

Joking aside I eagerly await more game-play footage.

I absolutely hated that arrow flying for so long in the teaser. That's not how arrows work, dammit.

It's just Obsidian shooting for the stars :p

Nothing against Steam, but you can pay $5 a month to rent nearly 200 PC games.
That includes dozens of RPGs such as: Avowed, Fable 4, Wasteland 1-3, Dragon Quest XI, The Outer Worlds, Fallout 76, FFXV, PoE, Bards Tale 1-4, Torment ToN, etc.

https://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-game-pass/games?xr=shellnav
Yeah I could but I probably wont as I already own most of those games already.

See once upon a time Microsoft hated PC players, and I lost faith in them ever since their failed live service, and bad ports of console games. My opinion probably wont change.

Anyway it's technically still not free. Free means no money paid. Also I like to own my game as well as you can nowadays, and not lose access if I cancel the game pass.

Edit: Game Pass = You rent access to games not buy/own.

I could be wrong but it sounds like you rent them as long as you pay every month. They also take games off of the Game Pass eventually according to the site you linked.

Last edited:
… See once upon a time Microsoft hated PC players, and I lost faith in them ever since their failed live service, and bad ports of console games. My opinion probably wont change. …

I hope you're not letting your hate of Microsoft taint your view of MS owned studios such as Obsidian, inXile, and Playground Games. I'm not the biggest fan of Microsoft either, but they've been doing better lately. Their newest console is basically just a higher-end 4K gaming PC (nearest equivalent: Ryzen 7 3700X, RTX 2080 Ti, 16GB, 1TB SSD) so porting should be easy.

I suggest waiting until there's a new release you want to try (e.g. Avowed, Fable 4, Wasteland 3, Flight Sim 2020, STALKER 2) and join for only $1 and play a full-length demo for a month before you buy it to own on Steam. You can then cancel and simply rejoin for $5 when there's something new to play.

Most games stay on Game Pass for about a year then get rotated off.
However, MS owned studio games will probably stick around indefinitely.

I hope you're not letting your hate of Microsoft taint your view of MS owned studios such as Obsidian, inXile, and Playground Games. I'm not the biggest fan of Microsoft either, but they've been doing better lately. Their newest console is basically just a higher-end 4K gaming PC (nearest equivalent: Ryzen 7 3700X, RTX 2080 Ti, 16GB, 1TB SSD) so porting should be easy.

I suggest waiting until there's a new release you want to try (e.g. Avowed, Fable 4, Wasteland 3, Flight Sim 2020, STALKER 2) and join for only $1 and play a full-length demo for a month before you buy it to own on Steam. You can then cancel and simply rejoin for $5 when there's something new to play.

Most games stay on Game Pass for about a year then get rotated off.
However, MS owned studio games will probably stick around indefinitely.
I'll admit it's a good deal for someone short on cash and who doesn't want to buy. Do they include the DLC as well? As I can't see how you could buy them without owning it?

Also no I have no hate for MS owned studios such as Obsidian, inXile, and Playground Games. I'll probably buy their new games on GOG, Epic, or Steam. So no worry there.

As for Fable 4 my problem lies with the remastered bad port of Fable, and that the entire franchise has been slowly simplified, and stripped with every new game.

Add to the problem that part two was never ported at all and the last was an MMO.:mad:

Last edited:
Nope, DLC is not included but it can be purchased at a 10% discount even though you don't own the game. That's probably the incentive for many of these non-MS owned studios to place their games on Game Pass. However, select DLC is included in Game Pass Ultimate (PC+XBOX+XBox Live) for $15/mo. As an Ultimate subscriber, I'm hoping that includes the Peril on Gorgon DLC just announced for The Outer Worlds, since it is a MS owned studio.

Of all the games recently announced, I'm probably most excited for S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2.
I can't wait to return to the Chernobyl Exclusion Zone! https://www.stalker2.com/

"Dang… It's pretty sad when Obsidian (makers of KOTOR2, F:NV, NWN2, PoE, OW) can't win over a crowd of RPG enthusiasts by giving away their newest games."

Where is this crowd of RPG enthusiasts? At RPGWatch, most of the time, there is just a group of whining, cynical asshats who make wild speculations and like to beat their virtual chests and pretend they have alpha balls and credentials when what they overall have is nitpicking commentary based on two minutes of footage…… which is par for the course here all too often.

Obsidian has had way more depth in its writing, stories and games than Bethesda ever has (Arena onward are action-rpgs not real rpgs)…… and yet people compare games to Skyrim and Fallout (?!?) which had zero depth regarding choices and consequences and were written at a 5th grade level throughout??? Are they fun open world shooters/sword-swingers with minimal lore and linear quests - yep…… but Obsidian has often blown them away (F:NV as just one example) by offering multiple solutions and paths.

What do we really know about this game? It's first person. It's open world. It's fantasy set in the Pillars' universe…… that's it. Yet Obsidian has often made far broader, deeper worlds than Bethesda ever has and has usually been limited by resources more than most (look what they did with F:NV on a short timeline)…. I'll give them some faith at this point since it was a few minutes of video…..

No Mutants Allowed, Rock, Paper, Shotgun, and now RPGWatch are becoming sad gathering places of a few vocal jerkoffs who immediately rip apart anything offered….. with a few exceptions like Drithius who nailed it with his observation.

Overreact much? Feel free to frequent another forum if people having varying opinions is so offensive to you. ;)

Back
Top Bottom