What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread

Could be fun. Sadly, it's about mmo again - seems no filmmaker dares to go with a singleplayer world.

John wick 3. The first two instalments grew on me so that I was looking forward to this one. It did not dissapoint, if nothing else it is a great action movie. I assumed this was the last one in a trilogy but the ending clearly suggests it is not. Was wondering whether John wick was from a comic book but I shouldn't have. Everything that comes out of the US is based on a comic book :)

Speaking of Keanu, I loved Constantine. Watched it a long time ago, late at night after some beers and had a really good time with it. I mostly remember the constant smoking of the main guy (each time he comes out of a room or a building he lights up a cigarette). Seems he is thinking about Constantine 2
https://movieweb.com/constantine-2-keanu-reeves/

Apart from that, I watched the lion king remastered. I'm not sure why as I know exactly how it goes and ends :) Next up could be one of Aladdin, Hobbs & Shawn, or IT chapter 2.

Disney alone made over $10B on just their movies this year already.

Amazing. You buy one comic studio and have enough movie material to last two decades, knowing the fanboys and fangirls will throw their money at you.

Amazing. You buy one comic studio and have enough movie material to last two decades, knowing the fanboys and fangirls will throw their money at you.
When they bought FOX I predicted this. They are a monopoly powerhouse now. By that I mean they own the best franchises to milk money. Other studious must envy them.

Bottom line I may not like what they did to a few IP's but Robert Iger deserves credit.

Seems another Matrix movie is getting released.

Link - https://collider.com/matrix-4-release-date/
The Matrix 4 is getting even closer to (un)reality. After a slew of casting announcements this past week, Warner Bros. has scheduled the yet-untitled Matrix sequel for a May 21, 2021 release. Because the Matrix has never been a franchise to shy away from mind-bending paradoxes, that places it in direct competition with John Wick: Chapter 4, which means Keanu Reeves will be battling himself for box office supremacy that weekend.

It's probably been talked about to death and I didn't read the thread but my mom and I watched The Irishman when it released. We both loved it. Buffalino lived close to where I grew up and my step dad had some ties to him. Loved all of Pescis/Deniros/Pacinos parts and it was just a great film. People complained it was too long but it flew by for us, we were into it.a

Buffalino lived close to where I grew up and my step dad had some ties to him. Loved all of Pescis/Deniros/Pacinos parts and it was just a great film.

Were the Pennsylvania accents and mannerisms from the time portrayed accurately?

The Machinist. Strange movie about someone who suffers insomnia and starts hallucinating, from what I could tell. The reason he couldn't sleep seemed to be explained towards the end. Not bad but I was expecting better. 7/10

Freshly back from the cinema:

Knives Out (2019)

A classic Whodunnit from the director of that last very controversial Star Wars movie with a classic all-star cast including but not comprehensively, Daniel Craig (James Bond), Chris Evans (Captain America), Jamie Lee Curtis (Hollywood grande dame).

And it's thoroughly enjoyable. A delight to behold. Wry humour throughout that you'd have to be a lump of solid rock not to find at least mildly amusing, just the right combination of lampooning camp and serious edge and a plot that will keep you guessing for at least half of it with plenty of expectations being properly subverted (including Craig's dodgy southern American drawl accent).

Ok, it's not fight Fight Club or Seven clever, but it's just about there via being just a nice damn movie in the classic but modern style. One of those movies people complain we don't get anymore and one that should therefore be extra encouraged IMO.

4/5.

Reminder that Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen was the highest grossing film in the US in 2009.

As an interesting aside to @Couchpotato; 's lamenting of the amount of money a potentially poor film can garner, this year has actually been quite a significant one for the nature of finances and the American box office.

While this year saw the record-breaking huge $$$$ result for Avengers Endgame, this stat, among a few others, including the new Star Wars, is hiding the bare truth of the cinema today and that is that the $$$$ are falling really quite dramatically all-round.

Up until these last two weeks of December, 2019 has seen the least 'grossing' year for movies since 2014. And this will still be the case even if Star Wars makes $400m in its first two weeks in America, which it could well do.

However, in 2014, Walt Disney pictures accounted for just $1.5b of the grand total for the entire year counted across many, many film.

In 2019 Walt Disney films will account for over 30% of the grand total for the whole year at well over $3b across much fewer films.

So we see a sharp decline in ticket sales across the board while simultaneously seeing one specific company and it's brand of sequels and universes suck up a much, much bigger chunk of the declined customer base.

In 2019 seven out of the top eight grossing films of the year in the US will be Walt Disney. And the issue of depth is also at a long-time low this year with only 26 total movies looking like they'll break the $100m dollar barrier, and you'd have to go all the way back to 2012 to find a year with only 26 $100m+ grossing movies. If it makes it to 27 with Jumanji or something then you'd be going back to 2015.

Further to this, if one excludes sequels, remakes and 'universe' movies and just looks at 'new' movies, the barometer of creative freshness, then the top 10 would look like this (actual ranking in brackets):

1. Us (11)
2. Pokémon Detective Pikachu (15)
3. Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood (16)
4. The Upside (23)
5. Hustlers (25)
6. Ford vs Ferrari (26)
7. Rocketman (29)
8. Alita: Battle Angel (30)
9. Good Boys (31)
10. Knives Out (33)

All of which gross in the 90 to 175 million bracket. So are we looking at Disney as the saviours of a dying trade? Or are we looking at Disney as the destroyers of a once comfortable trade?

I think both points of view have their merits, but I'm also thinking that they are not both mutually exclusive situations.

The Machinist. Strange movie about someone who suffers insomnia and starts hallucinating, from what I could tell. The reason he couldn't sleep seemed to be explained towards the end. Not bad but I was expecting better. 7/10
IMO a mustwatch before you die. Extreme case of Werther, not understandable by sociopaths with lack of conscience and a reminder loneliness is a health hazard.
One of the most unique movie ever. Yes it's explained but you should be very concentrated while watching it. The guilt ate him both physically and mentally.
Ad Astra

Really didn't enjoy this, mainly because of the glaring stupid physics issues. And am I correct that in one of the first scenes the main character is actually climbing down a ladder? In space?!
Maybe I missed something but it really wasn't the film I was hoping for.
Utterly stupid hollywodian story in a classic russian scifi movie style. If the story wasn't so idiotic, it could have worked. Sadly I have to suggest - avoid at all costs. Wait till Hollywood finds a better scriptwriter for what could have been one of the most unique experiences but was turned into a pointless movie.
In 2019 seven out of the top eight grossing films of the year in the US will be Walt Disney. And the issue of depth is also at a long-time low this year with only 26 total movies looking like they'll break the $100m dollar barrier, and you'd have to go all the way back to 2012 to find a year with only 26 $100m+ grossing movies. If it makes it to 27 with Jumanji or something then you'd be going back to 2015.

Further to this, if one excludes sequels, remakes and 'universe' movies and just looks at 'new' movies, the barometer of creative freshness, then the top 10 would look like this (actual ranking in brackets):
While top grossing in US is of no interest to me as it's usually stuff I'd puke afterwards (Transformers), lemme comment the mentioned moneymakers ten:
1. Us (11) - loved it!
2. Pokémon Detective Pikachu (15) - don't care about pokemon bs
3. Once Upon a Time… in Hollywood (16) - will definetly watch in the future
4. The Upside (23) - neverheard and will remain ignorant
5. Hustlers (25) - never was nor will ever be interested in wall street idiocies
6. Ford vs Ferrari (26) - highly interested, will watch in the future
7. Rocketman (29) - milking on music biographies, will skip
8. Alita: Battle Angel (30) - loved it!
9. Good Boys (31) - not interested in this comedy type
10. Knives Out (33) - sadly couldn't watch now, will watch in the future

Dora and the Lost City of Gold.

Very enjoyable and funny. If people were even 1/10th as nice and friendly as the main character the world would be a lot better for it.

I loved the trailer for this one - our kids were just starting to ‘age out’ when Dora came along so we had a year or so of them enjoying it ... cool stuff :)

Just home from Star Wars: Rise of the Skywalker. It had plenty of dumb moments, cringy moments, stuff that didn't make sense. Technically fantastic of course. Location and the overall tone is cool. Story wise its weak. I don't agree with the 4/10 reviews though, it's somewhere in the 6-7 range for me, better than the previous movie.

Back
Top Bottom