The TV Series discussion thread

So without being too spoilerific, how in the hell could Arya have survived that? Magic potions?

Also the conclusion at Riverun doesn't strike me as plausible

The surrendering part.

Am watching Ash vs the Evil Dead. TV version is reminding me a bit of serials like Buffy but still it's amusing and super cheesy.

=)

Edit - oh and I agree that GoT is getting a tedious, was complaining about it just last week. The only bit this whole series I've found remotely interesting or not obviously predictable was the kid under the tree with Max Von Sydow and Hodor.

Last edited:
About Arya….

What do you guys think was the point of her storyline? At the end of episode Jaqen said something like: "now girl has become no one", of which Arya replied reciting her true name and family name.

So Arya declined the offer to join faceless men, but she had paid her debt. The orginal target was killed and she had given them a new face (Waif).

So Jaqen just let her leave in peace and return her home?

I just finished watching that episode myself, and I liked it a lot. Especially…

Seeing Gregor Clegane rip the head off that member of the Faith Militant. I've been itching to see The Mountain do something ever since they turned him into whatever he is. That didn't disappoint.

@JDR - with regards to GoT, yes, long overdue and oh so satisfying :) I enjoyed the last episode far more than the previous one.

Also watching Penny Dreadful - mostly enjoying it, but find iyt can be a bit slow at times. The exposition episode about Vanessa was useful, but took way too long.

Personally I thought the prior episode was the setup, I mean, what on earth was Arya doing strolling on that bridge when she knew she was being hunted? Also, that must have been some super healing soup or a long time passed because you would not being running around like that after having a knife shoved into your guts and twisted. Anyways, now I think her plan all the while was to get the training on her terms, and go back home at some point. Who knows, maybe at some during her revenge hunt she'll slap on her mom's face and go buck-wild on every Frey in sight.

Also, that must have been some super healing soup or a long time passed…

Yeah that part bothered me as well… Those cuts she received were pretty deep and severe. Can't imagine anyone running or jumping so soon. And why didn't they show the fight between Wailf and Arya? Skipping it entirely was a bit anticlimatic imo.

So without being too spoilerific, how in the hell could Arya have survived that? Magic potions?

Also the conclusion at Riverun doesn't strike me as plausible

Yeah, I've appreciated the better pace of this season, but some things don't sit too well. There used to be a definite sense of tension and peril hanging over every character, but now death and grievous injury seem little more than an inconvenience.

As far as what happened at Riverrun, I interpreted that look from the Lt. that defied Brynden as a look of regret. Immediately afterwards, I wondered if he might cover up their lieges' disappearance so he could do once again what he excels at, sneak away and strike from behind. Then again I was dead wrong about the prior week with Arya on the bridge, so who knows. If that was the way Brynden really died in the show, that would be a travesty.

About Arya….

What do you guys think was the point of her storyline? At the end of episode Jaqen said something like: "now girl has become no one", of which Arya replied reciting her true name and family name.

So Arya declined the offer to join faceless men, but she had paid her debt. The orginal target was killed and she had given them a new face (Waif).

So Jaqen just let her leave in peace and return her home?

Yep. She proved herself to him. But she also proved herself to herself, and is going to start checking those names off her list. ;)

That was the whole set up from watching the theatrical re-enactment of her family's recent history. Made her rethink her commitment to become no one and return to her family.

As far as what happened at Riverrun, I interpreted that look from the Lt. that defied Brynden as a look of regret. Immediately afterwards, I wondered if he might cover up their lieges' disappearance so he could do once again what he excels at, sneak away and strike from behind. Then again I was dead wrong about the prior week with Arya on the bridge, so who knows. If that was the way Brynden really died in the show, that would be a travesty.

Yeah, I think there is good chance something like that may happen.

I binged on season 2 of Bosch, all in one day-today. Loved it. I really like the character. Can't wait for season 3. It's a smart detective series that I've grown to like quite a bit. Anyone else a fan?

I read some of the books, and they were pretty good. I haven't tried the TV show yet.

Battle of the Bastards lived up to the hype. That was one of the best filmed battles I have ever watched in a movie or TV series. All hail Game of Thrones.

Definitely one of the best medieval battle scenes I've seen.

On the down side, I think the slightly questionable writing continues to be a problem. It's a great battle, suddenly saved by the white hats riding in at the end. And essentially the same plot move happens in Meereen, in the first half of the episode.

It's interesting that they seem to be setting up a showdown between abused women turned fierce.

It was a great hour of tv, too bad about Rickon, not the greatest ending to him wandering the northlands for the past few years. If Sansa can just hold on to power for a bit I'm sure the dragon queen will recognize her right to rule and chick power will be all the rage in Westeros.

Next week I want to see Davro pull Melisandre's guts out through her mouth. Slowly.

Definitely one of the best medieval battle scenes I've seen.

On the down side, I think the slightly questionable writing continues to be a problem. It's a great battle, suddenly saved by the white hats riding in at the end. And essentially the same plot move happens in Meereen, in the first half of the episode.

It's interesting that they seem to be setting up a showdown between abused women turned fierce.

I'm not having any issues with the writing in general, but I do agree about the particular scene you mention. It was a little on the cliché side. I felt like I was suddenly watching The Two Towers again. :)

It was a great hour of tv, too bad about Rickon, not the greatest ending to him wandering the northlands for the past few years.

His role in the series was pretty much dead anyways. He hadn't even had a single line of dialogue since Season 4.

I keep wondering if some of the things that have happened this season were slight of hand tricks, like perhaps Brynden Tully not being dead and a stand-in being used for Rickon. HBO used to play the long game in earlier shows like the Wire but now it seems pretty much what you see is what you get. I miss the depth and wish it to not be as simplistic as it all seems these days.

Ouch this was a brutal episode.

The battle of bastards was an outstanding episode. Although I was quite dissapointed how Jon let his emotions once again rule over reason. Its like he suddenly transformed from an adept nightwatch commander to a foolish brat.

Didn't he listen to Sansa at all? I expected him to be able to control his emotions better. After all Sansa literally came to advice Jon before the battle. Thanks to Sansa it was a victory, but the cost was really high.

R.I.P Wun Wun.

Last edited:
Thing is, Jon wasn't willing to let Rickon die, not without trying to save him. Sansa not only let him die, she counted on it. Now that's the kind of girl I can get behind, she has come a long way. She knew Ramsey better than anyone else did, and where Ramsey counted on Jon losing his cool, Sansa wrote Rickon off the moment she knew Ramsey had him.

Back
Top Bottom