Kingdom Come - Already Sold 500,000

I've played for only a couple hours and only saved once, but I did have an option in the ESC menu to manually save before I quit, which worked fine. I tested to make sure, and I saved out in the wild before an anticipated cutscene.

That's my biggest concern so far -- the number of lengthy cutscenes. The game is a bit clunky so far but nothing terrible.

What encourages me? The dialogue system seems to have some real stat checks in place. I also liked how the scene when you're running from the first town played out:

As I'm running for a horse to get the hell out of Dodge, off in the distance a little from the horse I'm eyeing to steal are a few men in armor with their backs to me, and I can hear the cries of a woman in distress. Clearly, this isn't going to go well for her, even though I can't see her. What I liked is this wasn't in my face. It was off to the side a ways. My first thought was to help her, then I really think about it. It's like 4 guys in plate armor, and I've already demonstrated I'm not terribly good at the combat system yet. Also, I've got more guys on my heels down the path I just came off of. Sorry, lady, you're on your own. I steal the horse and make tracks, barely surviving some pursuers, mostly due to clumsy horse-riding mechanics. The horse riding really could stand to be improved.

Later, while talking with a noble lady in the next town, I'm telling her the story of the first twon's destruction, and the game makes me feel like a complete ass by forcing me to decide whether to tell the truth about leaving the woman to her fate or to lie. I lie to paint myself a hero, but the lady doesn't believe me. I feel like an even bigger ass, and this is a good thing. It was all a bit more subtle than in most games.

Based on the first 2-3 hours, I wouldn't expect something as slick as The Witcher 3, but it hasn't been anything terrible yet.

EDIT: One more thought, there also seems to be a system in place for NPC reacting to you based on your appearance. I hope there are some weighty consequences to this later in the game. I have seen people react a little to my shabby clothes and general appearance. Hey, I bathed as well as I could in a horse trough. I hope horse-trough bathing becomes more of a problem later in the game.

Last edited:
The devs must be thrilled! There's 80,000 playing on steam at the moment.

While I was fairly vocal about the game during development, I'm in no rush to play it when each patch will be 20GB or more. I'll wait until its done.

PUBG keeps selling very well.

Not as well as you might think. The new daily peak is only half what it was a month ago and the cheating is apparently out of control but when players get banned they buy another copy. When you look at the user reviews on steam it's only 50% positive which suggests to me that 50% of the players would be happy to move to Fortnite which actually beat PUBG max peak a couple of weeks ago at something like 3.6 million concurrent players. Less cheaters, better optimised, no loot boxes, etc. Fortnite isn't on steam but if it was it would be number 1.

Also I get like 20fps in action scenes on low setting which is off as I have a pretty decent rig with 16gig memory.
About this, I said I wasn't in towns, well now I did. No FPS drops on me.
8Gb RAM, i5 whatever one all are good IMO and GTX 1070 here. The game is on SSD.
Note also that I did use geforce experience's suggestions and disabled motion blur.

Also I've found out what's causing the game freeze lasting 5-10 secs: change of scenery caused by main quest progession! It happens very rare so not a biggie. And I believe this is not avoidable by patching.

I've played for only a couple hours and only saved once, but I did have an option in the ESC menu to manually save before I quit, which worked fine. I tested to make sure, and I saved out in the wild before an anticipated cutscene.

That's my biggest concern so far -- the number of lengthy cutscenes. The game is a bit clunky so far but nothing terrible.

What encourages me? The dialogue system seems to have some real stat checks in place. I also liked how the scene when you're running from the first town played out:

As I'm running for a horse to get the hell out of Dodge, off in the distance a little from the horse I'm eyeing to steal are a few men in armor with their backs to me, and I can hear the cries of a woman in distress. Clearly, this isn't going to go well for her, even though I can't see her. What I liked is this wasn't in my face. It was off to the side a ways. My first thought was to help her, then I really think about it. It's like 4 guys in plate armor, and I've already demonstrated I'm not terribly good at the combat system yet. Also, I've got more guys on my heels down the path I just came off of. Sorry, lady, you're on your own. I steal the horse and make tracks, barely surviving some pursuers, mostly due to clumsy horse-riding mechanics. The horse riding really could stand to be improved.

Later, while talking with a noble lady in the next town, I'm telling her the story of the first twon's destruction, and the game makes me feel like a complete ass by forcing me to decide whether to tell the truth about leaving the woman to her fate or to lie. I lie to paint myself a hero, but the lady doesn't believe me. I feel like an even bigger ass, and this is a good thing. It was all a bit more subtle than in most games.

Based on the first 2-3 hours, I wouldn't expect something as slick as The Witcher 3, but it hasn't been anything terrible yet.

There is a lot less cutscenes once you are past the prologue (well unless you just follow the main quest I guess).

Also, it is normal that Henry suck at horse ridding his skill start at 0 and that horse is crap (horses have stats too). That is valid for EVERYTHING ELSE might I add. Henry start at 0 in every dang skills and his other stats are just pathetic. This is where the "this is clunky" (or hard) comes from: your in-game avatar abilities are derived from his stats/skills.

It's like the first Deus Ex game, where aiming is basically impossible with a pistol until you invest in the skill (but DX doesn't start you at 0 while KCD does).

Also, it is normal that Henry suck at horse ridding his skill start at 0 and that horse is crap (horses have stats too). That is valid for EVERYTHING ELSE might I add. Henry start at 0 in every dang skills and his other stats are just pathetic. This is where the "this is clunky" (or hard) comes from: your in-game avatar abilities are derived from his stats/skills.

It's like the first Deus Ex game, where aiming is basically impossible with a pistol until you invest in the skill (but DX doesn't start you at 0 while KCD does).

Excellent. Then I will include sucky horse riding as encouraging.

Seems that some people expect to pwn everything right away.
This game isn't about a godlike being but an ordinary youngster in middle ages. If you can't stand starting as an ordinary person who won't become master of everything, a king, an emperor or god, this ain't a game for you.

Horsemanship is not only a skill one can improve and activate additional perks then (like you can see what I took on the next pic), but you can also equip that same horse with different beneficial items but also with cosmetics that in this game are different free nonDLC horse armors:

pic.jpg

And yes, the first horse sux. So you better pile up cca 2000 to buy tier 5 horse later in the game (past main quest with Ginger).

You guys are making it sound pretty good. I may pick it up after all.

Glad to see that this appears to be doing well. I would love to be able to play it, but with my current PC I'd probably be able to make a sandwich between each frame.

This game is pretty great. At first, it was amazingly frustrating. But it's like all other games, you have to skill up. And the content isn't always leveled, you will find some guys way stronger than you at first. Practice. Practice actually leads to skilling up, so it's not a waste.

But as your skills and stats start breaking 10, it gets a lot easier. As you learn the game, and how to make money and buy gear, maintain it, and which perks to take to suit your play style, it becomes a lot easier.

But the biggest thing is how reactive the quest environment is. There really are a ton of different ways to resolve quests, the problem is that they aren't always apparent. Stealth missions are the most confusing, as they do not hold your hand and the game doesn't provide a lot of feedback for when you're undetected.

Edit: Loading screens are way too frequent though, my biggest negative.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom