Fallout 4 - More Speculation @ Calitreview

Dhruin

SasqWatch
You might recall a piece from a week or so back from the California Literary Review that speculated on Fallout 4 being set in Boston - they're back, speculating on other settings:
New York City?
Yes, yes, I know. I just spent a whole article saying western states are the heart of Fallout. But aside from the plot considerations I alluded to, there’s a major reason why the Boston rumor has as much credibility as it does.
Not only is the Northeast mostly untapped in the Fallout world, but considering the popularity of the game (and the supposed “lackluster” success of New Vegas) a direct, linear progression from Fallout 3 makes so much sense from a sales perspective that Bethesda would have to be pretty dumb to not follow up with Fallout: New Fan Service. Say what you will about their abilities as game designers – lord knows I have – they’re damn smart businessmen.
It seems that’s what happens when you dump all your points into Barter and Luck!
My argument for New York as opposed to Boston is simple: why settle for the opening act, when you’re really waiting for the headlining band? Like John Lennon said, New York City IS the Rome of the modern world, and there’s little reason this status would’ve changed by the time the bombs fell, so it seems inevitable that a Fallout game will get here eventually. If there’s going to be (ideally) alternating locations for the Fallout series, some in the East and some in the West, let’s just get to the Manhattan Project everyone’s expecting!
More information.

it sold 3.3 mil world wide if you believe that site...which is pretty good for a game like new vegas.

Personally I think new york would be cool to see in the future. An urban sprawl of nuclear distruction heh. You would think though if the world did go to nuclear holocust new york would be a prime target. Aka New Crater.

Good Article. But what's the diff between DC and New York when it comes to setting?

I would vote for someplace unique like Maui. Think of all the critters that can come about from radiation. And New Orelean wouldn't be bad also. Or Guantanomo Bay wouldn't be bad either, they'd have all kinds of factions there.

But New York City . . .meh

Have you been to DC?

Have you been to New York?

:sarcasticclap:

really?????

But for you, I'll answer, I've been to both. The point I was trying to make is that both locations are major metropolitan cities, both with distinctive landmarks. and both are crowded cities although obviously New York has way more people.

for me the next Fallout location would have more "Whoa" factor if they went to a different type area.

NOTE: I've played all the Fallouts so even if they set it in New York, I would still get the game.

I'm sure I'm not the only one that could imagine some wryly amusing Snake Plissken references when wandering a post-apocalyptic New York. :)

The statue of liberty itself could also be a major set-piece, obviously, which when reflected upon symbolically, could provide some more politically oriented navel-gazing for the setting and Fallout canon.

It's a fascinating topic and I certainly hope that Bethesda will learn from New Vegas when it comes to providing stronger role-playing opportunities.

What I would like to see, is:
Let Bethesda create next game whenever they want, Boston, New York...whatever.
After Fallout 4, give Fallout license to Obsidian again, so they can create Fallout:West coast again.

And then, give Fallout license to CD Projekt so they can create Fallout: Europe. Now THAT I would love to see. I know this is unreal scenario and CDProjekt is fully occupied with TW3 and Cyberpunk (My two most anticipated games..), but I would just love to see Fallout game set in europe from them.

Considering Fallout sells well worldwide, it would probably be an advantage to stick to cities people outside the US actually know anything about. Since Vegas and DC have already been covered, New York, LA and Miami are the most obvious choices. Obviously cities like Boston, Houston and Chicago are fairly well known, but they don't have the same landmarks that would make people go "ooooh".

What about Poughkeepsie?

pibbur who only has been in Baltimore and Houston.

Let Bethesda create next game whenever they want, Boston, New York…whatever.
After Fallout 4, give Fallout license to Obsidian again, so they can create Fallout:West coast again.
Or better yet, skip Bethesda and give it directly to Obsidian. I don't know about others, but after seeing how Skyrim turned out I have lost all interest in a Fallout game developed by Bethesda.

And then, give Fallout license to CD Projekt so they can create Fallout: Europe. Now THAT I would love to see. I know this is unreal scenario and CDProjekt is fully occupied with TW3 and Cyberpunk (My two most anticipated games..), but I would just love to see Fallout game set in europe from them.
I don't like this idea because I love CD Project and I would hate to see one of their games tied to Steamworks :).

Or better yet, skip Bethesda and give it directly to Obsidian. I don't know about others, but after seeing how Skyrim turned out I have lost all interest in a Fallout game developed by Bethesda.

Skyrim, Fallout 3, and FNV have all sold more copies than "almost?"any other single-player crpgs released. I have a strong feeling Bethesda will do Fallout 4. I'm pretty sure that you're a vast minority when it comes to your opinion about Skyrim. Not knocking your opinion, but Skyrim is loved by both old and new school gamers. Obisidian has never made anything that sold as well as Skyrim. I believe FNV is their top-selling game and that's largely because Fallout 3 was such a great game.

In fact, the only group that seems to show mass-hate to all things Bethesda are the foul, loony group of codexers. Of course, you could be one of those for all I know. I haven't hung around the codex since Saint Proverbius left.

Skyrim, Fallout 3, and FNV have all sold more copies than "almost?"any other single-player crpgs released. I have a strong feeling Bethesda will do Fallout 4. I'm pretty sure that you're a vast minority when it comes to your opinion about Skyrim. Not knocking your opinion, but Skyrim is loved by both old and new school gamers. Obisidian has never made anything that sold as well as Skyrim. I believe FNV is their top-selling game and that's largely because Fallout 3 was such a great game.

In fact, the only group that seems to show mass-hate to all things Bethesda are the foul, loony group of codexers. Of course, you could be one of those for all I know. I haven't hung around the codex since Saint Proverbius left.
Worry not, for I am not a Codexian. Otherwise, I would not openly admit that I enjoyed KOTOR ad DA:O :).

I didn't dislike Skyrim in a "Codexian" way as I enjoyed the sightseeing and roaming around but those elements that I find most important in RPGs such as e.g. C&C, narrative, dialogues, interesting NPCs and interactions, etc. were IMO underdeveloped in Skyrim. And those are elements that I would like to see in a Fallout game but considering the massive commercial success of Skyrim, I don't have any reason to expect any departure in design philosophy on Bethesda's part while creating Fallout 4 hence my lack of enthusiasm.

(Nevertheless, I would probably not be able to resist and still buy and play Fallout 4 since I am a Fallout fan).

Last edited:
Can´t say I´m interested in another Bethesda Fallout game, the guys suck (willingly or not) at reactive design and reactivity is something I expect to be in spades in a good Fallout game.

Let Bethesda create next game whenever they want, Boston, New York…whatever.

I would also vote for Obsidian made Fallout 4. Fallout NV was better than Fallout 3. As for the game taking place in Europe or any other country sorry Bethesda has already said it never will. There are a few mods that attempt this.

Back
Top Bottom