Skyrim Livestreams

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
lol at guy scared of jumping down the cliff...

Post livestreams of people playing Skyrim :)

Here's one that is currently active:

http://www.own3d.tv/Yo_Green
That's a good find.

I think I'm a little disappointed, though, it really looks a lot like Oblivion with a few Gothic3 design elements. I expected more 5 years later. The gameplay and voice acting aren't so hot either IMHO.

edit: after looking a little more, I'm starting to think that this is a step down from Nehrim. I think I'm going from a little disappointed to a little depressed. :)

Last edited:
..and Nehrim is a little step behind Morrowind (with MGE + mods) :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDM7ICJ3DCw

Morrowind with MGE has more modern shaders.. like vegetation that bends when you walk through it, under water caustics, statics has shadows (not even FO: New Vegas has this!), SSAO, God rays (best i've seen in a game) + lots of other cool stuff..

Morrowind with MGE has more modern shaders.. like vegetation that bends when you walk through it...

I know, I just added your groundcover update last night.

The only thing about Morrowind is that I know it so well I can play it out in my head; I was looking forward to something new. New or not, though, it has to be a worthy replacement and I'm getting a bad feeling about Skyrim. Damn.

Yeah my expectations went down a little after watching the stream. I really dont like killing blow (whatever-its-called)-events, it's not looking smooth enough, kind of like them in the new Fallouts actually, it works better there imo.

People realize that the stream are from xbox360 right. That hardware haven't changed since Oblivion was released...

People realize that the stream are from xbox360 right. That hardware haven't changed since Oblivion was released…

I'm aware of that and I have no doubt that the PC version will look better but that's not my concern. I found the writing and acting to be worse than in Oblivion in both the live stream liked above and in the leaked beginning section. I can see why Beth doesn't want that to get out.

I watched two relatively high quality live streams today and in my case, I was blown away by the characterizations, voice acting and the storytelling.

The quest where you fight your very first dragon was epic. There are a lot more interesting NPCs in Skyrim than there were in Oblivion, and they all have more personality, more soul. I look forward to getting to know lots more of these colorful characters.

Mainly I was impressed with how many minor factions there are in the game and how many branching path options there are for almost every tiny step of each quest, with the backdrop of the civil war and various conspiracies permeating these choices. Even from the very beginning of the tutorial.

To cite one out of many such examples:
there is a quest where a member of the Stormcloaks is kidnapped by a faction called the Battle-Born (loyalist Nords who support the Legion) and he is secretly being held prisoner by an entirely separate High Elf faction called the Thalmor.

You can choose to help the brother of the Stormcloak to rescue him, attempt to negotiate peacefully with the Thalmor, sneak in and befriend one of the Thalmor, or courageously tell the brother you will take on the Thalmor all by yourself.

Or you could end up deciding to side with the Thalmor against the Stormcloaks, or even choose to befriend the Battle-Born instead. And just making it all the way to the Thalmor embassy alive is a massive journey that takes hours on foot, with all sorts of encounters along the way.

I don't give a rat's ass about small cosmetic glitches, etc. Based on the few hours of footage I watched, Skyrim's storytelling, characters and factions seem to be a massive improvement from Oblivion and even Morrowind, and your choices have a much more palpable effect on the game world.

The companion system is also really well done. There would seem to be dozens, or perhaps even hundreds of different NPCs who can become your companion, and the ones I observed seemed quite intriguing.

Last edited:
It is mind boggling how many locations there are in this game - adding up all the exterior points of interest + dungeons, one of the devs said it is something like 350 in total.

I really don't want to spoil it anymore than I already have so Count could you elaborate on these factions you were talking about? Maybe a guesstimate to how many there were. Also if you did something for one faction would it affect your rep in another?

I really like the sound of this game now.

Watching the most recent link now..

It looks decent enough, but I don't see this being a massive improvement over Oblivion and Morrowind. Of course it's impossible to say from just watching a video stream.

Visually, Morrowind was more impressive for its time. That's not to say Skyrim doesn't look good, it does. I'm sure they pretty much squeezed every last ounce out of the Xbox 360 & PS3 for this game. I still question Bethesda's claim of "a completely new engine" though. It sure looks like an upgraded Gamebryo to me.

What worries me is the setting. I don't mind the whole far North/Nords/ice & snow thing, but I don't know if I like it enough for 100+ hour game. So far everything I've seen looks very similar in terms of landscape and architecture. Hopefully there's a lot more variety than what I've seen.

I really don't want to spoil it anymore than I already have so Count could you elaborate on these factions you were talking about? Maybe a guesstimate to how many there were.

Major (Guild-type )Factions:
Companions
Dark Brotherhood
College of Winterhold
Thieves' Guild

Civil War Principal Factions:
Stormcloaks
Imperial Legion

Confirmed Lesser Factions:
Thalmor
Battle-Born
Shield-Brothers (they turned out to be only a nickname the Companions use for each other, not a separate faction)
Vigilants of Stendarr
Bard's College of Solitude
Riverwood Tavern Warrior Clan
East Empire Trading Company
The Circle (subset of the Companions)

In addition to this, there are probable numerous other lesser factions we have not heard about yet.

Also, the Story Manager tracks the PC's reputation individually for each city, town and each of the nine Holds. This affects certain details about quests that you get and the way that NPCs respond to you.

Also if you did something for one faction would it affect your rep in another?

putting this answer in spoiler tags:
Yes, some of these factions have strong ties to certain other factions. The Shield Brothers seem to have some sort of special relationship with the Companions. The Battle Born and the Thalmor are allied with the Imperial Legion. There are probably other lesser factions allied with the Thieves Guild and/or the College of Winterhold, etc.

From watching the streams and having read probably every journalist preview over the last few months, I get a strong sense that the civil war tensions build up to a point in the main quest where the PC has to make a definitive choice as to whether to help the Stormcloaks or the Legion (or neither).

At some point it will likely be necessary to raise support for whichever side of the civil war you choose from among the other factions, such as Companions, College of Winterhold, Dark Brotherhood, Thieves Guild, as well as support from the Jarls of each of the nine Holds.

There are some echoes of Fallout New Vegas.

Last edited:
The alchemy system is also tremendously improved. It looks like a lot of fun to experiment and unlock new recipes. In Oblivion and Morrowind it was sort of a means to an end, rather than something fun to do in itself.

Thanks a million Count. I was trying very hard not to get excited about this game…..well that failed. Now, it's a day one purchase for me. Technically it's more like a day two or three because it takes a day or so for the major releases to get over to the stores. There is no way I'm not buying this from a B&M store.

Back
Top Bottom