Might&Magic X Legacy was crippled by devs on 32 bit OS

I think this goes beyond Unity simply being poorly optimized; staring at a mostly static screen in a shop shouldn't cause any video card from the past 15 years to exceed 70°c when it normally operates in any other game @50°. It's irritating to get chased out of a shop if I stay too long, not by the shopowner but by the fans in my system going into full bore.

Sounds like vertical sync isn't being applied or the frame limiter isn't working. Should be easily fixed by using another limiter or overriding vsync from control panel.

Ehm, I haven't used pointers in ages, as they drive me insane.

But you're free to load stuff into memory in whatever segments you want to, AFAIK. I'm not sure what you're asking, exactly.

Also, I do believe C# supports pointers to an extent. They're not "garbage collected" IIRC, but we're getting into stuff I haven't messed with in ages.

The idea is in stead of allocating memory for each individual object (by new) when loading game data, you load a big chunk of data from disk en bloc, and set pointers to where each object is stored in that chunk of ram, in stead of allocating memory dynamically. This mainly affects loading times, but you can't do it without pointers AFAIK.

Whether it matters when using a game engine I don't know for sure, I guess that might vary from engine to engine, how object creation is called from the main program code.

C# doesn't have pointers. I think you refer to the difference between managed C++ (which don't support pointers) an unmanaged C++.

Pibbur who likes pointers

Sounds like vertical sync isn't being applied or the frame limiter isn't working. Should be easily fixed by using another limiter or overriding vsync from control panel.

No, it's not that. V-Sync was enabled from the start and frames are actually below 60 on these screens, whereas they are maxed elsewhere in the game.

Edit: found the cause, buried in the Reddit AMA-
Do you know why the scenes inside shops and inns tax my GPU so heavily? It appears to be something to do with shadows as far as I could tell by tinkering with the graphics options.
  • MightandMagic 5 points 6 days ago
    Yes, we know. And you are right about the shadows. I think the level designer was simply thinking "Hey, it´s a static scene, I can add a gazillion of light sources…". And this somewhat ended in some frame drops. We still found it acceptable as you are "just" buying/selling/interacting there but we have to admit that there is some scenes reducing the FPS. Afaik reducing the shadow quality a little should significantly improve it tho.
    permalinkparent
  • VanDerWang 4 points 6 days ago
    I hope you add some more options here. I would much rather have high shadows everywhere and a flat ugly shop. As it currently stands, my shadows are on ultra-low because I don't want to switch back and forth when I come into town, leaving the dungeons uglier than they need to be.
    permalinkparent
  • MightandMagic 3 points 6 days ago
    Ok, duly noted. I´ll ask what we can do. I´ll make sure the team (and especially one particular level designer) receive this feedback! ;)

So, what's causing slowdowns? Well, if this is any evidence, it's obviously inexperienced developers.
We still found it acceptable as you are "just" buying/selling/interacting
Oh, yeah, it's perfectly acceptable to put excessive loads on a video card for no real gain. If a Laptop should overheat in the process, that's acceptable too.

Last edited:
Whether it matters when using a game engine I don't know for sure, I guess that might vary from engine to engine, how object creation is called from the main program code.

If C# was involved with rendering code, sure - but I don't think so - as they're using Unity as an engine to render visuals. Since it's turn-based, I'd be surprised if a lot of C# code was processed while rendering images.

Well, that would be my assumption, anyway.

C# doesn't have pointers. I think you refer to the difference between managed C++ (which don't support pointers) an unmanaged C++.

http://www.c-sharpcorner.com/Upload...nCSharp11112005051624AM/PointersInCSharp.aspx

crpgnut who gets nauseated because of the image pibbur who implanted.....

pibbur who fears he may involuntarily have said something nauseating. Involuntarily.

I was afraid someone would say that. These Freudian slips aren't easy, younow:

'There were these two guys having lunch one day when the first guy says to the second one, "You ever say one thing to someone when you meant to say something else?"

"How do you mean?" says the second one.

"Well last week I was at the airport in Philly and I wanted to come back here to Pittsburgh and the women at the counter had these enormous breasts so instead of asking for two tickets to Pittsburgh, I asked for two pickets to Tittsburgh."

"I know what you mean.", says the second guy. "Why just this morning I was having breakfast with my wife and I meant to ask her to pass the jelly but instead I said 'You're ruining my life you stupid bitch!'"'

Pibbur who wrote this on an iPad, but not without trouble, since said pad is placed between the keyboard and monitor of his floortop computer. Gameplay is a bit erratic at the time of writing.

Must be because you didn't press R to remove yellow tents on avatars, so the party is too tired to move flawlessly. :p

J/K they've promised a patch in about couple of weeks on steam, hopefully it'll sort out those stutters. I had them myself after hours of continuous playing, but game restart helped so I suspect there is a memory leak somewhere in the game code.

Back
Top Bottom