"Nextgen" GPUs

I recently bought an EVGA gtx1070.
Playing the witcher 3 temps dont rise above 50 degrees celsius. (I did alter the fan profile to agressive just to be sure)
After 30 hours no crashes or glitches.

Perhaps i have been lucky...

Not all EVGA cards overheat and EVGA already made a patch for those who noticed the issue on their side:
http://www.evga.com/thermalmod/

Usually there is no need to update the firmware if everything works okay, when it comes to an expensive card I have to suggest installing this update in any case. Better safe than sorry (after warranty expires ;)).

AMD is having a big Crimson release on December 8th, that's their yearly release with new features. Going by wccftech leaks we can expect:
- Radeon Chill (limited to certain games, allow to reduce power/heat usage)
- Radeon Relive (basically Shadowplay going by the description)
- Freesync in borderless windows
- more GPU support for Wattman (Furies, 300 and most of the 200 series)

More game improvements too.

After giving the xfx rx 470 about 4 months I finally threw in the towel and went back to Nvidia.I experienced one black screen after another and tried various fixes including tinkering with wattman and driver after driver. For a while I thought it was my computer but the nvidia fixed all the video shutoff problems. It would go dark even when I wasn't gaming and my hibernation settings were off.

The new card is an evga gtx 1060 and I couldn't be happier.

That sounds like broken card, honestly didn't hear that such issue is common. I'd try to refund it.

I thought about doing that but my son wanted to try it in his computer.
So, after about 2 hours it shut off in his system also. He then fiddled with some settings on his own and next day it ran all day without the shutoff!

x-men first class! :D

In just a couple of months we should see first Vega based GPU, and AMD already had a demonstration:
https://www.pcgamesn.com/amd/amd-rx-vega-4gb-8gb
In a demo of Deus Ex: Mankind Divided - a seriously GPU-intensive game at max settings - with HBCC turned on the RX Vega GPU was nailing 50% higher average frame rates as well as 100% higher minimums to visibly improve the fluidity of the gaming experience.

Without some more extensive tests by 3rd parties it's hard to say anything precisely, but after last year's Pascal/Polaris, now Ryzen and upcoming Vega, PC never looked more exciting.

You have $1200 to spare but don't know on what.
You've already bought all Train Simulator DLC and now there is nothing to burn that cash on? You've bought everything in every single phonegame?

nVidia to the rescue!
http://wccftech.com/nvidia-titan-xp-graphics-card-3840-cores-1200-usd/
Something pretty unbelievable has happened: NVIDIA has managed to launch a brand new card without the leak scene even getting a whiff of it. The TITAN Xp (2017) is the first commercial graphics card that houses the full blown GP102 die. This means you are looking at the full 60 SM configuration with 3840 CUDA Cores. This also means that the compute performance of the card is going to be phenomenal, topping the 12 TFLOPs mark and very easily a 4K 60fps capable gaming monstrosity.

If only this new card ment hair in games won't still be a general disaster.

RX570 and RX580 reviews are appearing on internet, here's a couple:
http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/sapphire-radeon-rx-570-nitro-4gb-review,1.html
http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/asus-radeon-rx-580-strix-review,1.html

Their conclusion is basically if you bought GTX 1060-80 or RX 470-80 a few months back, there is no reason to upgrade to these new ones. If you waited, or are buying a new PC, either one of these is a superb choice.

Seeing those test results, I have to agree.
Unless someone wants 60FPS, ultra settings and 4K resolution in DX:MD. Well… Not gonna happen. To be honest not sure if even new Titan could do it, but then again, I'm with the minority who can't care less about 4K. Just as I never cared about SLI, crossfire and other "perversions" that improved absolutely nothing in games and were used only to produce and sell more electronics garbage.

From the review for 1080p it is fine choice for 1440p it is borderline and the 1070 is signfiicantly faster (I mention 1440p because that is what I use so it is relevant to myself).

Not sure about the price difference as I didn't look up the cost but i suspect it is 1/2 the price of the 1070.

For those that care I use mini-1070 with dx11 (windows 7). I use the mini size since my case is an itx.

http://www.pcgamer.com/gigabyte-may...-graphics-enclosure-practical-and-affordable/

I never wanted a laptop or miniITX, because, gaming of course. But PC is getting external GPUs so maybe I'll change my mind:
Gigabyte had the GTX 1070 Gaming Box hooked up to a laptop in its Computex suite this year, running graphics over a USB-C cable. It's truly plug and play; I unplugged it from the laptop and plugged it back in, and there was just a brief screen flicker each time as the graphics adapter hand-off happened. It's a surprisingly small box, built to fit mini-ITX graphics cards, but it also contains a 400 watt power supply and can actually charge your laptop or other USB devices while providing graphics processing.
5_ZHe_CQ9k_GRTv4_Fudk_KT3cf-650-80.jpg

Drop that overbloated price ($600 O_O) and every next GPU I buy will be external!
I bet it'd also mean goodybe to Nintendo and Sony from everyone.

Last edited:
What do you mean why bother.
I've moved to external HDDs use. It's good for security, it's great for backup and you're not paying for some shady cloud service.
Also for years there is no CD/DVD drive in my rig - I use an external one. It doesn't suck power when I'm not using it, it's boxed so it doesn't vacuum dust over time and it's only minus is not useable for win7 installations that require USB 3.0 driver (hint, Gigabyte's bootable USB drive overcomes this annoyance).

Anyway, I want everything possible being externalized. So when I play phonegames on Nox emkulator, I don't have to waste money on watts used by overpowered GPU - the phonecrap would run effectively on my integrated in CPU rubbish. Not only emulated phone garbage but console ports too.

As for mini 1070, sorry, I got hooked on physically huge, effective in cooling yet silent Gainward solutions. Miniaturization of GPU doesn't work for me.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom