iPhone and iOS 10 and battery life

P

pibbur who

My iPhone 6 seems to need charging more often than it use to. Problems seems to start after upgrading to iOS 10. Seems to - I don't know for sure.

Anyone else noticed this or or heard about it? I have googled but so far found nothing.

pibbur who thinks he'll switch to a non-apple product next time, although it depends on the apps (hates that term).

No problems here. I gave my 6s plus to my wife and grabbed a 7 plus. She's raving about the battery life. It's her first non android device and she's used to having to charge daily or even mid day and now she's charging every 2 days. She says she's not going back to android.

I actually bought a note 7 but returned it because I only got 8 hrs before I needed to recharge it. After seeing how many problems that phone has had maybe I just got a bad one. At least it didn't explode on me.:biggrin:

Anyway, I get 4-5 days on a single charge with the 7 plus, but I don't use it much as I use my iPad mainly.

In my experience the battery life between android and apple is about the same during use but where apple gains is the battery life during non-use times. For instance my iPhone will use 1-2% when left overnight vs previous android phones I've had using 10-20%.

This is just my experience though and others will vary obviously depending on how they use thier phones.

I don't see myself as an iPhone lover. I don't think it's inferior, but I don't see it as the best there is, either. (And I definitely don't consider new iPhone releases comparable to the second coming). But so far I've been happy with my iPhone (6), it does what I need, although it is unreasonable expensive. I'll hopefully stay with for a longish time.

However, I don't think I'll buy an iPhone again. One reason for switching to Android is that some phones (not the recent Samsung Galaxies) still come with replaceable batteries. And Apple seems to make fixing/replacing things more difficult (and therefore costly) than some other phone makers.

Another reason is that the wife refuses to switch to iPhone. Stup… No.. I didn't say that!!!

On the other hand there are apps I use a lot that's not available on Android. One of them is Cyclemeter which I use for tracking my training. There are other apps for that, of course, but one thing I like with the cyclemeter is that I can store everything locally. Unlike others I've tried it doesn't require an on line account, and unlike others it doesn't keep nagging me about creating one.

pibbur who trains locally and therefore wants to store things locally. And who doesn't see the need for sharing training results (or other things). And who isn't interested in most things people want to share.

DS. Anyhow, my reason for posting was hearing if anyone else has battery problems after iOs 10, so I won't take part in further iPhone vs Android discussions. You may of course post whatever you like. DS.

Last edited:
The new iphone 7 has abysmal battery life, it scores by far the worst on any tests: https://9to5mac.com/2016/10/03/iphone-7-battery-life-which/

But Iphone lovers will of course always say how "much" better their inferior products are.

Regarding the Notes debacle by Samsung that was a disaster though.

Not sure if your talking about me but I'm no iPhone lover. I've had several android ( many more than iPhones) .

I base my decisions on best experience and iPhone as provided that to this point. As I said I get 4-5 days battery that's plenty for me. Also iOS has had many fewer force closing of apps that I use. A product of the closed system no doubt.

I've said it many times in threads like this I'm a "fan" of nothing. I use what offers me the best experience. Blindly following 1 company be it apple, android, nvidia, amd, etc is idiotic.

I'm actually quite sad that the note 7 didn't work out for me it was by far the best looking phone I've ever owned and the screen was amazing.

Anyway battery life is dependent on how you use your phone. As I said my wife gets 2 days out of my old phone and I got 4-5, big difference. Also I have the plus which has a much bigger battery than the iPhone. I don't like small phones so I'd never buy the regular iPhone.

Seems I've been using iPhone 4 for a decade. It still holds like was the day I've received it. Only thing, it can't get new OS.

But it's a phone I got on my job, didn't pay anything for it. I'd never buy that overpriced piece of s., and that includes different expensive HTCs, Samsungs and recent Pixel.
When I get to a point I need to pay for a phone, I'll buy me a cheap chinese rubbish (smart)phone for a few bucks. It'll probably fart in a year, maybe after just a few months, so I'll buy another. And another. And will still spend less $ total than for overpriced rubbish.

Then again, I use my phone for calls, (viber) messages, alarm, e-mails and notifications. There was a time I've tried numerous phonegames to find out if everything is avoidware (it is not, the problem is there is one game worth paying for among thousands of scams) but with Bluestacks available on PC there is no reason for me to install anything on my phone.

I'm saying, if it doesn't behave like you want it to, sell the bloody thing on ebay and buy yourself a nice, shiny, cheap crapphone that does what's it ment to do.

I have a 6S Plus. Great battery life (all others have had awful battery life), and probably the first and last iPhone I will ever like. Of course work paid for it, because I'd rather not take out a second mortgage just to buy one. For personal use, i'd favour android (I loved my Note 2, but only after I re-flashed it with a new ROM because: crappy Samsung bloatware). But from a work/IT perspective, iOS is much easier to support.

I have a OnePlus 3. Excellent phone for only $400 and you can easily unlock and root it if you like to tinker with it. I am very happy with this one. GSM only I believe.

Try Nox. Thank me later.

Will do. If it supports doubletap without needing a pair of mice, I'm in because I need it for a certain product.

However, those who want to play Pokemon Go should stick to Bluestacks. Last version of that piece of s doesn't work on Nox.

EDIT:
I'm in. Q+2, while somewhat clunky, works!
Thanks.

Last edited:
I have an iPhone SE and I find battery use is a little better with iOS 10, EXCEPT, if you are heavily using wi-fi, in particular with a weaker signal it seems to kill itself retrying for a better connection.

I have an iPhone SE and I find battery use is a little better with iOS 10, EXCEPT, if you are heavily using wi-fi, in particular with a weaker signal it seems to kill itself retrying for a better connection.

Are you saying that Wi-fi drains batteries more under iOS 10? If so, that may be it.

pibbur who wifis a lot.

Yes I'm finding that, and in particular if it isn't always a full strength connection. I'm finding in less than perfect wifi locations I'm turning it off and using my 4g data as I can almost watch the battery drain

I have a 6S and my wife and kids have 6, and have all found at least as good battery life - though I think I benefit more from the upgrade than they do. I do think that the trend of newer devices seeing more benefit from OS updates is true here (that is true on pretty much every OS on any sort of device in my experience ).

The features of iOS 10 are just wonderful - there are a ton of nice little things that combine to make my life easier.

My Garmin running watch died and I decided to buy an Apple Watch (the new one with GPS) as it was ~$40 more than just replacing my old Garmin) ... and I like it AND it actually helps offload stuff from my phone so I get even more battery life.

My singular complaint so far with iOS 10 is that the 'auto resume' of Bluetooth audio in my car isn't as reliable as it used to be. Much better than my Galaxy Note 5, but not as good as on iOS 9.

But Iphone lovers will of course always say how "much" better their inferior products are.

And anti-Apple trolls will say dumb shit to prove ... I don't know, that they are small minded people who need to say nonsense to compensate for ... something?

And since - as usual - your 'research' involves digging up anti-Apple stuff exclusively, I will present the MUCH more interesting discussion point about how the testing for the new phone is more 'non uniform' than usual: http://www.forbes.com/sites/brookec...bad-testing-is-all-over-the-map/#2f8e17c61e12

In other words - while that one source you note has one claim (the one you cite doesn't reveal their methods, and there have been some claims that their methods are not above board), other sites have shown much better performance, others not so great, and still others have the iPhone above the others ...

This is for me a reflection of reality - we have mostly Apple and Samsung at my work, and depending on where people live and their carrier, they get different battery life - not to mention how they use it overall. Personally I get better life from my iPhone 6s than the Galaxy Note 5 ... but both work as 'all day phones' quite well for me.

My iPhone 6 seems to need charging more often than it use to. Problems seems to start after upgrading to iOS 10. Seems to - I don't know for sure.

What I did notice is that iOS 10 enabled Raise to Wake by default. So the screen will automatically turn on when it thinks it's being picked up. Except now I've noticed it turning on at random times for a bit without even being touched or when I just move it. Just that has been sucking extra power. I turned it off.

What I did notice is that iOS 10 enabled Raise to Wake by default. So the screen will automatically turn on when it thinks it's being picked up. Except now I've noticed it turning on at random times for a bit without even being touched or when I just move it. Just that has been sucking extra power. I turned it off.

Very true - I think that this is how my Apple Watch is helping - because when I lift my phone I actually want to see the screen.

Unfortunately that's not the case with my iPhone 6, which as I hear does not support Raise to Wake.

pibbur who is Awake, and in fact is listening to the album right now.

Back
Top Bottom