Baldur's Gate 3 - Community Update #1

(like Anabelle, The Nun, The Sniper, 300, The Matrix..)
Anabelle - unwatchable junk
Anabelle 2 - proper horror
The nun - an almost franchise ruiner saved by the lead actress
Slender man - now this is a franchise ruiner (if it is in conjuring universe, dunno)
The sniper - erm… neverheard?
300 - hollywodized with gimmicks mediocrity
The matrix - an exception to the rule of garbage productions

:D

I don't think many people would agree with that, but to each his own. Minsc was obviously meant to be insane, and even though a lot of what he said was comic relief, I don't think it compares to your character transforming into a barrel or a giant rock while in stealth mode.

Hey, if you're worried about that, I'll betcha 10 bucks right now that in BG3 the stealth mechanics won't turn you into a barrel or a giant rock. I'll bet you 10 more that you'll either become semi-transparent, or shadowy in some manner while retaining your general character shape. ;)

Excuse me, I thought we're talking about d&d implemented in BG games here, not larian's own ruleset used in dos games.

I mean, for all I know, Diogenes is not featured in d&d. Why does JDR expect him to appear in BG3, beats me. Wet dream maybe? :D

The level of cynicism here is quite mind-boggling. Have we really come to this? Some of you are basicly saying that Larian is like one trick pony. The deliver something such cool as Orginal sin games should be a merit for any developer, but suddenly it has become a burden among rpgfans... Where do you base this claim that Larian guys are incapable of writing different kind of humour? You have so little faith in them? *Sigh*

I like the change in direction from the previous BG games; focus on something entirely new. I'm open-minded on Larian taking this on, since they've already demonstrated they can make interesting and creative party-based RPGs. The hard part will be trying to live up to everybody's nostalgic, rosy perspective on the series.

Hey, if you're worried about that, I'll betcha 10 bucks right now that in BG3 the stealth mechanics won't turn you into a barrel or a giant rock. I'll bet you 10 more that you'll either become semi-transparent, or shadowy in some manner while retaining your general character shape. ;)

I'm not too worried about that, but thank you for your concern. :)

It was simply an example of why I don't think people voicing some doubts should automatically be labeled as haters.

I have my own doubts, at least until more info is revealed, and I've been a fan of Larian since Divine Divinity.

The level of cynicism here is quite mind-boggling. Have we really come to this? Some of you are basicly saying that Larian is like one trick pony. The deliver something such cool as Orginal sin games should be a merit for any developer, but suddenly it has become a burden among rpgfans… Where do you base this claim that Larian guys are incapable of writing different kind of humour? You have so little faith in them? *Sigh*

This.

I'm just glad someone is making a single player D&D game again. Hopefully others will be given the opportunity also and we could see some Dragonlance or Dark Sun games. Don't get me wrong through; I do hope that they are coherent and well thought through products of their setting. I don't want to play trash.

Yes, down to the naysayers. The amount of hyperbole based on assumptions is astounding. Firstly, there have already been three external writers working on the game. Yes, some of the normal Larian collaborators are back but to think they will just copy the Divinity style and transplant it into Baldurs Gate is moronic. One, they are not even allowed to do that. WotC has a whole set of rules anyone must apply when working with their IP, and secondly Baldurs Gate is WotC's crown jewel, they are going to be extra strict enforcing these rules. To suggest a development house is only capable of producing one type of game is ridiculous.

Yes how dare anyone have a different opinion on this forum about something you like and share their opinion. That's another problem on this forum with certain developers.

The utter gall and audacity of those dirty peasants. Off with their heads I say.:rolleyes:

I'm just glad someone is making a single player D&D game again. Hopefully others will be given the opportunity also and we could see some Dragonlance or Dark Sun games. Don't get me wrong through; I do hope that they are coherent and well thought through products of their setting. I don't want to play trash.

I'd love to see a Dark Sun game or maybe something in the Raveloft setting, but I'm not holding my breath. Forgotten Realms is by far the most popular setting, and I don't see WotC rolling the dice (no pun intended) on something that might be less profitable.

Yes how dare anyone have a different opinion on this forum about something you like and share their opinion. That's another problem on this forum with certain developers.

The utter gall and audacity of those dirty peasants. Off with their heads I say.:rolleyes:

Because this is:

RPGWatch. An RPG Fan Site.

And not:

RPGUnwatch. An RPG not-a-fan-of site.

:p

DDO has a Ravenloft campaign which is quite well done and enjoyable if you're so inclined!! :)

Because this is:

RPGWatch. An RPG Fan Site.

And not:

RPGUnwatch. An RPG not-a-fan-of site.

:p

So your logic is that everyone should be a fan of every game on this site? Sorting the wheat from the chaff is kind of the point of this site imo. Or your just being silly?

I do think most old school rpg players are hyped about this game. It is ok if there are a few who aren't. They don't have to buy the game. Just as long as they are not complaining in every thread that previews this game, lol, that would get pretty annoying.

I'm sensitive to this, so on games I don't like or only have negative things to say, I will "choose my spots" and stay out of most threads that talk about the games. I will only occasionally chime in with my negative opinion, but will usually just remain silent, because I do think its kinda rude and being a "party pooper" to always infect threads with negativity about certain games. My 2 cents on that topic.

But another thing, we don't know hardly anything about the game yet either. Is it going to be real time or turn-based, and will it be top down isometric like perspective, or what, and other important things. So I guess I am a little baffled at some of the negativity so far. "It messes up the story and legacy!" is in my opinion, a pretty weak complaint, but that's me.

Hopefully others will be given the opportunity also and we could see some Dragonlance or Dark Sun games.

I think there is next to no chance of those settings appearing. Dark Sun was killed off by WotC right when they acquired TSR. Dragonlance didn't last much longer.

It looks more optimistic for Greyhawk, Eberron and Ravenloft who all got some 5e products.

What I would like to see is, in order of priority:
1. Any of the many realms of Faerun outside the Sword Coast.
2. Kara-Tur
3. Al-Qadim (Zakhara)
4. Maztica
5. Planescape

First four of those are located on the same planet.

Guys. Did any of you see the trailer? I think they've got the tone nailed down pretty well.

Yes, how dare you ever be naysayers? Anyone who says anything even slightly negative about this news is just cynical deviants. D:OS is critically acclaimed game so everyone must love it, Larian developed them so everyone has to have faith in them to deliver, and BG3 announcement is dream come true for everyone even though the Bhaalspawn saga story ended!!! How can anyone not approve of cool environmental explosions and cheesy humour! That is so fitting for BG!!!

Mock and ridicule naysayers to purify them :)

Well I'm sure feeling it. It's true the humor style of a Divinity game wouldn't work so well. Maybe they should also make Divinity 3 so they'll have an outlet for that sort of thing?

D:OS is critically acclaimed game so everyone must love it...
And DOS2 and Witcher 3. And the early Gothic games, but that's in the Terms of Service so everyone obviously agrees with that. I'm hoping we will become sufficiently enlightened to include Final Fantasy 7 on that list some day soon. ;)

P.S. Still love the 'Larian update' background music.

We don't know what type of humor (if any) might be in the game yet. I don't think assuming it will be like the Divinity games has any basis at all. Just sayin'.

From the looks of the trailer, as already said by other commenters, it looks pretty damn dark, and not a game with a goofy type of tone.

Maybe making assumptions based on worst case scenarios isn't the best way to approach the potential of this game is all I'm saying.

What if the game turns out super dark and grim, then all the people who said it will have goofy light hearted humor will look pretty silly.

Back
Top Bottom