The TV Series discussion thread

Got through Mandalorian (both seasons).

I find it passable, but not much more than that. It's almost entirely fan service - and I find it amazing how popular it has become, being so little beyond what we already know so well.

But it looks good and is executed well.

It sort of makes me think of how absolutely trivial it would be to make a fantastic show with a budget like that, if only someone willing to take a risk or two was in charge.

Of course, that's not the Disney way.

Someone showed me how to view Robin of Sherwood on my firestick, and oh my am I in telly heaven! If you've never seen this incarnation of Robin Hood, and like the tales, you might enjoy this one, assuming outright paganism isn't a turn-off. I still remember the pickets outside the PBS affiliate in Georgia back in the eighties when they first aired this, people in the bible belt did not find this amusing at all, lol. I've not seen this in at least twenty years and it's just as good now as it was back then.

The X-files. I have been wanting to watch it back-to-back for a while now. I only watched bits and pieces back in the day with a lot of repeats of the same episodes.

I have watched the first two episodes on Netlifx US/Canada a couple of years ago and was waiting for it to become available here in Europe. I could not wait any longer and bought the grayray box set. :) I only watched episode 3 now, but I must say, wow, the image quality is fabulous for a 1993 show. Crisp and clean (with a little bit of grain), it is also in widescreen format. I did not know they filmed widescreen back then. They must have remastered it from analog a while ago.

The X-files. I have been wanting to watch it back-to-back for a while now. I only watched bits and pieces back in the day with a lot of repeats of the same episodes.
Ooooh, X-Files is on my want-to-watch list, too. Same reasons.

There's a handy watch guide I'm going to follow though:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4HpRCi5DJPGSDVuYmJkZnBWOTg/view (PDF, 1 MB)

Basically I plan on skipping a lot of the boring filler episodes that aren't part of the greater mythology.

I have watched the first two episodes on Netlifx US/Canada a couple of years ago and was waiting for it to become available here in Europe. I could not wait any longer and bought the grayray box set. :) I only watched episode 3 now, but I must say, wow, the image quality is fabulous for a 1993 show. Crisp and clean (with a little bit of grain), it is also in widescreen format. I did not know they filmed widescreen back then. They must have remastered it from analog a while ago.

I watched all 9 seasons 10+ years ago I think. It was fun, but I remember skipping through a lot of the monster-of-the-week episodes which had no bearing on the main plot. Mulder and Scully have great chemistry.

Some of the best X-files episode are, imo, a few of the ones that have nothing to do with the over-all mythology. Aye, like any show they've their fair share of fillers, but some of the monster of the week episodes are simply outstanding. I mean, Home has nothing to do with whatever space aliens or hybrids were lounging around, but to miss that episode is to deprive yourself. With all that said, it is a great series, back then and today.

Basically I plan on skipping a lot of the boring filler episodes that aren't part of the greater mythology.
Interesting, thanks for the link. I was planning to watch it all but it is good to have a reference and see where the movies fit. Maybe I will start to follow it when I get burned out.

Are you planning to follow the green mythology line or just skip the unwatchable episodes according to that document?

The thing I always found stretched credulity with the X-Files, was that Scully gets possessed by spirits, abducted by aliens, and almost eaten by the thing in the ventilation system, and yet every week, when Fox says, "I think there might be something funny going on," she says, "No, no - I'm sure there's a perfectly rational explanation." :p

Hahaha yeah, there are times when Scully take her whole job to debunk the X-files project a tad too far. I remember thinking at the time maybe she just enjoyed pulling Mulder's leg or something. =p

Some of the best X-files episode are, imo, a few of the ones that have nothing to do with the over-all mythology.

There are some exceptions of course. I specifically remember the one in which they're stuck in a time loop during a bank robbery, if I remember correctly. Really liked that one.

I thought I wrote already but in case I didn't.
First 3 episodes, awsome.
Then it goes that whatever zombie show mode where nothing ever happens. Drag, drag, stretch, fill, bore ppl to death.
Finally, something does happen in the last episode and of course those are all cliffhangers.

Skippit. Raised by Wolves. Or, watch episodes 1, 2, 3 and 10.

Just finished watching it, indeed the first 2 episodes were great (directed by Scott), I had my hopes up, but then it goes downhill. I like the weirdness of it all, but the nonsensical plot twists that will probably make sense in season 4, the two unlikable and unwatchable human characters (not the androids), annoying children,... Too many unknowns in the story.
The final floating serpent kinda looks like the small snakes from Prometheus. I'm guessing they'll try to entangle the story into the whole Alien saga origins that Scott is still trying to make.

Why not, after all even Doom got a movie. Not sure it will be rich though, The Witcher has a good and solid background with Sapkowski's novels.

Yeah, the lore is certainly there, but I'm not sure how compelling a TV series it would be without those kinds of characters. The Witcher had a lot more to work with.

Has anyone seen The Good Lord Bird? It turned up on a best of the year article, and I'd not heard of it. The reviews seem promising.

Not me. I refuse to watch any drama, history, war, biography combined. This one is not a biography, but is the other three.

Ripper, I've not even heard of this series until now, the time period is a focal point that has always fascinated me, namely America pre-civil war. I might have to check this one out, the cast looks pretty good as well.

Well, we're back in full lockdown, so I've been watching all sorts of things. One random thing I tried, after some recommendations, was Doom Patrol. I only watched the first two episodes, but I actually thought the first episode was one of the best things I've seen on TV for ages. We're pretty over-saturated with superhero shenanigans, but I thought this managed to strike a unique tone, and I like what they did with it.

The second episode was a bit of a letdown, but I think I'll persevere.

Anyone here watching The Watch? (The TV show, not this site) It's different!! :)

I had a mate visit this week, and I introduced her to two telly shows that I love: Twin Peaks, and Counterpart. She introduced me to some female wrestling show that I'd never heard of before, called GLOW, which is totally hilarious! We watched the first series together and I'll certainly be watching the rest, it's funny as all heck! More eighties cliches than you could possible swing a stick at. =p Oh, and she loved the two shows that I showed her as well.

Back
Top Bottom